Author Topic: The UK's most dangerous drivers  (Read 6917 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
The UK's most dangerous drivers
« on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
A somewhat tongue in cheek report from Petrolprices.com shows that the UK's worst driver is someone called John, driving a Fiesta and this car is the most likely car to be involved in an accident. (my apologies to anyone named John reading this)
For some years I have always thought that BMW drivers were the most inconsiderate, usually driving 6" from my rear bumper.

More recently I have revised that opinion and now regard the 3 most inconsiderate drivers to those driving an Audi A4 or A5, followed by a Porsche SUV, and followed by many other large SUV vehicles, usually driven by women.
At the other end of the scale the VW Golf features highly.
It would seem that the Honda Jazz and maybe other similar size cars are considered fair game to these drivers and we should not have the temerity to get in their way.

I generally try to adhere to the prevailing speed limits, which usually results in the aforementioned situation.

Or is it just me????

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: The UK's most dangerous drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »
One thing I have noticed about BMW drivers is once they have decided to overtake they do not often back off even when rapidly approaching you on the wrong side of the road,  they expect you to brake or swerve into the hedge to clear their path. 

Has anyone ever ventured into the BMW lane on a motorway,  I have a few times but I try to make sure no BMW's in the vicinity as the punishment can often be being flashed by their dazzling headlights and an irritated scowl even though you are obviously overtaking other traffic (like two HGV having a contest for the 'worlds slowest overtake' to get in Guinness world records).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
Audi drivers passing at 60mph in a 30mph limit are my bete noir. Coupled with the "my indicators  do not work for plebs like you" Audi and BMW drivers and the 4x4 drivers who cannot park and drive at 15mph in snow. Fortunately they don't go on the single track roads I use to go to beekeeping as most 4x4s are too wide and their owners know they don't work well on mud - so force me in the Jazz to go onto the verge so they can pass. Michelin Cross Climate tyres means I have more grip than them with their "optimised for fuel economy" tyres.

(a 4x4 with summer tyres gets easily stuck in mud especially with some of the drivers who have no idea. - But then I drove LandRovers as a student in the 1960s up and down hillsides in Perthshire)

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
There used to be a time when keeping a car clean was the norm, now the 'BIG' boys in their BMW/AUDI/ RANGE ROVERS/ VAUXHALL INISNIA's ( the new Mondeo reps car) keep the rear end of the car as dirty as they can presumably to beat speed cameras. It amazes me how little forward vision these drivers have especially as they persist in driving too fast. My regular A30 trip popping along a circa 70mph and persistently being ordered to get out of the way, I am amazed how I can see the old speed van at the side of the road and yet they never see them till they are on top of them with the resultant panic braking.
I do agree with the comment about ladies of the opposite sex driving large SUV's right up the car in fronts jaxxie. I know they can see over the top of my humble Jazz but this doesn't seem to improve their forward planning.
I see the driving test is being or has been altered yet again, I don't suppose it will make any difference as they seem to forget all as soon as they pass their test. In many countries, I believe Australia is one they have to have a 'P' plate, do they then have to take another test? I think a year after passing a test another should be taken perhaps that MIGHT make them remember what they have been presumably taught.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
Women's driving seems to be getting worse (if that is possible) and multitasking seems to be a myth for being able to do a couple of things at the same time badly and nothing well (i.e. can't even single task properly). I saw a recent article saying women were by far the most distracted drivers and did silly things like putting make up on while driving.

As for German car drivers , female 4x4 drivers (and white van drivers including German white vans) right up your jacksie when you are doing speed limit I normally just take my foot off accelerator and gradually slow down, they either overtake or back off and I go back to speed limit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:34:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:10:05 PM »
I have, for many years, referred to the outside lane as the BMW lane. I had a BMW once and felt entitled to use it! Somebody then said Audi drivers were the absolute pits so I became more aware of them (I also have had an Audi but I never thought I had my own lane when I had it - an Audi 80 btw).

Strenuously trying to avoid confirmation bias, I have concluded that the worst driver league table looks like this:

1) Audis - all of them
2) BMW
3) Mercedes
4) Porsche but only the Cayenne - 911 drivers are OK.
5) Young men in 10 year old Corsas.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
One observation is that if you ask drivers if they consider themselves above or below average, the vast majority will say the former.  A mathematician may have something to say about that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:03:58 PM »
I have, for many years, referred to the outside lane as the BMW lane. I had a BMW once and felt entitled to use it! Somebody then said Audi drivers were the absolute pits so I became more aware of them (I also have had an Audi but I never thought I had my own lane when I had it - an Audi 80 btw).

Strenuously trying to avoid confirmation bias, I have concluded that the worst driver league table looks like this:

1) Audis - all of them
2) BMW
3) Mercedes
4) Porsche but only the Cayenne - 911 drivers are OK.
5) Young men in 10 year old Corsas.

Looks good to me based on many years driving experience.  The cars you list (except 911 and Corsa) are popular company cars.  911 drivers are probably enthusiasts and proud of their driving skills, and 10 year old Corsa drivers are likely to have seat back right down so they are almost horizontal in car and to wear a baseball cap backwards.

I knew a bloke who had his own company and for many years had owned Jaguars because they did a lot of work for JLR. He decided to have a change and bought a BMW - he didn't keep it long, he was shocked at the amount of 'road rage' the car attracted and not being let out at junctions etc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:10:22 PM by culzean »

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
I vote Audi drivers with 4WD, the worse are thirty something woman who seem obsessed with their mobile phone. How do you pull away safely on a roundabout one handed whilst talking on the phone.

All Audi, BMW and Mercedes hate being over taken by a Jazz no matter what speed they are doing. The lower powered cars can't keep up with my Jazz Sport, I get lots of surprised looks when I start driving away from them. They are so arrogant they think they are the Kings and Queens of the road and think that can park their cars anywhere, dangerous or not.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
not being let out at junctions etc.
My brother drives a BMW and says that he is never let into traffic streams, or shown any courtesy. And as an ex police driver he is most careful and courteous in his own driving.
As for indicators, there is actually a paragraph in the BMW owners manual saying that, "As a BMW owner you are exempt from having to give traffic signals"!

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
How on earth did the Jazz get it's reputation for being an old f*rts car. IMHO they are just a s quick as it's contemporaries.  The times I am overtaken by a young female in a Corsa only to have her pull in front of me and drop her speed. I am usually popping along at 70mph and it does make me wonder.
The other day, I had a road test in a car but because there were no auto available I had to go in a stick car. I haven't driven a manual gear box for some 15 plus years and so my attempt I thought would be disaster. No, it all came back. All those hours in an unmarked police car with the instructor and his dreaded cap have certainly paid off
no revs no kangeroos just  a smooth controlled move away. I was quite pleased. I just wonder where these modern drivers keep their brain. Woman opposite when going to work, foot down on the throttle and slip the clutch do they not think about how much a new clutch will be?
It' s not only women putting their make up on while driving, I saw a lorry driver the other day, phone in hand, trying to steer around a bend and change gear. Do these people not read papers/watch proper programs nor listen to what is important. At the moment the beautiful game is so concerned about selling Wembley stadium. One wag said flog the damn thing and perhaps there will be less football on TV. Perhaps all these so called fans would be better employed reading the highway code and REMEMBERING  what it says. I bet there are a few that can quote chapter and verse about who scored what goal in 19 hundred and frozen to death but still do not know it is an offence to use a mobile phone while driving.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
The old farts thing seems to a UK issue. In the far east, from what I read, it's seen as a young persons car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »
When I worked for Honda the run up to the new Reg was like pension day in the Post Office. And not just the Jazz. All the Honda models. Most new cars going out of our showroom went to those at, or approaching, pension age.
I think this was partly due to the fact that other marques tended to be cheaper, like for like, so they younger buyers tended to go for them.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
Just saw this.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504
Thing is, the kn*bhead thinks he was hard done by and the "unlucky one who got caught".

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Looks like I started something with this post and it would seem that there is overwhelming agreement with my thoughts.
I have agree with Auntyneddy regarding the 'old farts' car. Occasionally I have taken on, the odd boy racer and to see their face when you leave them behind is amusing, all within the prevailing speed limits, you understand!

Members who decry the CVT box really need to try it in sport mode, it can really move when needed and I presume that the Jazz Sport is even better.
Also, totally agree with Peteo48  and his list of Idiots, to which I would add virtually any 10 year old small car, whose driver is trying to prove something.

Just in case some people think I'm maybe an 'old boy racer', well yes I am 81, but the average fuel consumption over the past 15800 miles is shown on the readout as 51.9mpg, so I can't be that bad.

Tags: