Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693783 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #975 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
The golf killed my knees.
Yeah, those German hatchbacks can be really cramped ...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #976 on: July 31, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
Jeremy Clarkson on Tesla. Interesting 90 second video.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #977 on: August 02, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
Tesla's share have jumped 9% despite announcing a loss of $717m for their first quarter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45037251

This video, from Transport Evolved presenter Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield, gives a well balanced and well judged review of the Tesla Model 3. There is an interesting parts talking about the Munro strip down of a Model 3 and their findings.
Also, the owner of this particular car likened the view from the drivers seat to that of the Honda Fit!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #978 on: August 08, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »
If this goes ahead it could be the best thing to happen to Tesla.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45118393

I was also surprised to see that the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling Mid-sized Premium Saloon in the US, out selling the C Class Merc, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #979 on: August 08, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »
If this goes ahead it could be the best thing to happen to Tesla.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45118393

I was also surprised to see that the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling Mid-sized Premium Saloon in the US, out selling the C Class Merc, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/elon-musk-could-face-probe-from-regulators-if-plan-to-take-company-private-does-not-go-ahead-a3906171.html

Wonder how Musk would like jail ? 

Selling cars at a loss isn't hard,  BL and Rover did it for a long time.....

https://money.usnews.com/investing/stock-market-news/articles/2018-05-10/tesla-inc-tsla-stock

top 10 most valuable auto companies in the world,  Tesla at #7,  but yet to turn a profit..... how does that work ?  Honda at #5 just behind BMW.  Toyota is top dog by a country mile,  worth more than twice as much as VW.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/slideshows/the-10-most-valuable-auto-companies-in-the-world?int=undefined-rec&slide=2
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:57:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #980 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
At the very worst he would have to buy approx 50% of the shares as the rest are secure with himself, Straubel, Deepak Ahuja, and the Saudi fund (who invested knowing what was planned). Most of the shares out there are owned by die-hard Tesla fan boys, who wouldn't sell for love nor money, so the number of shares they would have to pay $420 each for is minimal. It looks like the board are on his side so there is a fair chance it will go ahead.
I don't know if he could still be investigated if the option is put before the board and rejected, or if only nothing more is done about it.
I am sure the Saudi Investment fund is ready to supply as much capital as is necessary and I am sure Elon Musk had everything arranged before tweeting. Doing that was to pull the feet from the short sellers who have lost $3b this month. so far.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #981 on: August 14, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »
Could this be the breakthrough in electric vehicles, that the world is waiting on?
Interesting and exciting research happening, here in Scotland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45179722

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #982 on: August 14, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »
Could this be the breakthrough in electric vehicles, that the world is waiting on?
Interesting and exciting research happening, here in Scotland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45179722
Thanks for posting. Very interesting. Effectively pre-charged electrolyte.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #983 on: August 14, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »
Maybe it will do more for air travel than road vehicles. I would be interested to see what the ingredients (and waste) is composed of.
I assume the filling station will supply "charged" fluid and the waste will go off for "recharging". It says the batteries are more energy dense than EV batteries, but no mention of how efficient the process is. If it takes a kilowatt to get 100 watts into the battery it won't be much use.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #984 on: August 19, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »
Effectively pre-charged electrolyte.

That's exactly what it appears to be.

This new development appears to be some advance in the type of electrolyte and/or cell used to increase the energy density.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #985 on: August 19, 2018, 01:52:03 PM »
Came across this interesting video on the changes afoot in battery technology.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #986 on: September 05, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
Mercedes Benz have released their new EQC EV. Like Jaguar they are going for the SUV market.
Doesn't look as nice as the I-PACE, to my eyes, but I am sure it will appeal to Mercedes Benz buyers.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #987 on: September 06, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
Interesting what is defined as an SUV. In the US these are huge vehicles whereas in Europe they are much more modest. In general, I think cars have migrated a lot more to towards sitting upright with legs at a sensible angle, simply to provide interior room, rather than the more reclined designs of the 70s-00s. My first experience was driving a Renault 5 after selling my Triumph Spitfire. And the Jazz itself follows a similar design philosophy.

I don't need a 4x4. Most people  don't. But I do like and appreciate the more upright stance and slightly raised ride height of an SUV. It is also a much easier proposition for me with my bad back. Driving in to Leeds today in my RAV4 with the heated seat on full all the way has been a great aid for me as I am having yet another 'bad back day'.

I am rambling a bit, but what I am coming round to is that the SUV layout may lend itself more to Electric, and certainly to hybrid designs. It allows more room all around the car and under the cabin for batteries and motors. No longer does the motive machinery need to sit in a box at the front (or the back). It can be placed where it is best located for balance - in the middle of the vehicle.

Having said all of this, my RAV4 has the battery pack under the rear seats, which means there is around a four inch step in the middle of the loading area when the seats are folded flat. And this is the reason for my bad back, maneuvering an awkward shaped not flat packed Ikea chair into the car yesterday.

Ironically, the chair is for my bad back, and it would have fitted easily into my Mk.1 Jazz, if only I had chosen to use that yesterday!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #988 on: September 06, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Richard. I feel for you. I too suffer with my back. When I used to drive the FIAT Ducato for work I always felt it was the ideal driving position, as well as ease of entry and exit.

However, I feel as vehicles get larger congestion just gets worse. and so many SUV drivers think they are even bigger than they are, and refuse to go through gaps I could drive a bus through. It may be, in the future, that once vehicles are mainly electric then Vehicle Excise Duty will be relative to physical size rather than the current emissions based.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #989 on: September 06, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »
The country roads I travel to beekeeping are single track with passing spaces. Most 4x4s are to wide to pass  unless they go off road - which in some places = deep ditch. Unsurprisingly few are seen on the and the ones that do have drivers who cannot/will not reverse to a passing space  nor go off road to  make way.. which is understandable as most are on summer road tyres which are useless in mud and snow.

A Volvo XC60 was parked outside our local Asda- it took up 1.25 x a parking space...Charge them or road AREA...

Tags: