Author Topic: Pre-MOT check.  (Read 6014 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Pre-MOT check.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »
You have to decide what it is worth to you and if it is worth the cost of repair. I have always felt that if a car has been reliable then it is worth hanging on to. You may buy another to replace it and, though good for an MOT, it may be a money pit in other respects.
I think your valuation could be a bit high. I have recently been getting insurance quotes, and one told me that mine was only worth £600 for insurance values!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
You have to decide what it is worth to you and if it is worth the cost of repair. I have always felt that if a car has been reliable then it is worth hanging on to.

As they say, better the devil you know. Check for anything obvious, then shove it in for a test - you may be pleasantly surprised.

I think your valuation could be a bit high. I have recently been getting insurance quotes, and one told me that mine was only worth £600 for insurance values!

I was thinking the same. Ours isn't exactly in pristine condition, and it's not a CVT, but your insurance valuation is roughly what I paid for our 08 plate last year.

guest4219

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »
I had the pre-MOT today and had it been an official test it  would have passed with a couple of advisories.
Anther year of Jazz ownership looms!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
Out of interest, why bother with a pre-MOT? Is it just so you can repair the advisories and keep them off the record? How much does it cost?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »
It is just to avoid having to illegally drive a vehicle, certified as dangerous, away from the station for repair. The vehicle would be no less dangerous and illegal, it would just not be on the DVLA system as such. My pre-MOT cost nothing, as my son-in-law did it for me!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 08:45:08 PM »
My pre-MOT cost nothing, as my son-in-law did it for me!

There's some sense in that, I give mine the once over before the test - but I usually have an idea which bits need closer looking at.

I don't think I would pay for a no-record MOT. The chances of being pulled on the way home must be pretty slim, and if you get stopped with two bald tyres, or any other serious defect for that matter, it wont matter whether you have a MOT on record or not.

I went through the new system for entering faults with my MOT man, he was showing me some of the convoluted wording. His current bugbear is that a perfectly good balljoint with a damaged rubber is now a fail, whilst play in a balljoint or TRE, which could rapidly turn nasty, is only a 'monitor and repair if necessary' and a pass. Most of the 'dangerous' category faults should be fairly evident from visual inspection or driving.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:50:13 PM by sparky Paul »

guest4219

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
The pre-MOT, in my case, was to enable me to decide on the feasibility of keeping the car.
Had it failed with major money chunks being needed, I could either flog it to WBAC or Evans Halshaw, or PX it for a replacement ca,r WITH two months MOT left on it.
Try selling a car with an MOT fail!!!

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »
Quote from sparky Paul: "I went through the new system for entering faults with my MOT man, he was showing me some of the convoluted wording. His current bugbear is that a perfectly good ball joint with a damaged rubber is now a fail, whilst play in a ball joint or TRE, which could rapidly turn nasty, is only a 'monitor and repair if necessary' and a pass. Most of the 'dangerous' category faults should be fairly evident from visual inspection or driving."

My son put his Jazz in last week, it failed on a Major fault.
The rubber on the drop link ball joint had split. No play or wear just a split rubber. Picture od failure notice attached

I consider that pretty good result considering he has had it 11 months and probably not opened the bonnet!

Pain in the neck to be a major and he put it in a month to early, I offered to look at it first but he declined.
I probably wouldn't have gone looking for that anyway unless it was obvious. Another check for me to do.

I assume it was Kwik Fit that did the testing (over the road from him) so he left it for repair.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
My son put his Jazz in last week, it failed on a Major fault.
The rubber on the drop link ball joint had split. No play or wear just a split rubber.

'Major Fault' - what a farce. My man said "they can be nearly hanging off and I can't fail 'em, but a nick in the rubber..."

Not bad though, he must be happy with that. £9 for a factor part, I've just done one before ours was tested. It was knocking though, I wouldn't have checked the rubbers either.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:01:00 PM by sparky Paul »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
Try selling a car with an MOT fail!!!

I know, that's how I usually buy them! Not this Jazz though, that came with 11 months MOT.

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »
My 55 plate Jazz SE passed today with no prior inspection, but to be fair I did treat it to a new exhaust from the Cat back, and three new calipers and new pads all round earlier this year. With just 70000 on the clock its going to last me another four years at least.
Interesting to note my average mpg has crept up from 50 to 52.3 since the new exhaust!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »
The improvement in mpg is probably due to the hot summer.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »
Car had its 2019 Pre-MOT this morning. John found a few things, but he thinks they would just be advisories. Both wishbones have tiny splits in rear joint, brake pipes have some surface rust, but not excessive, and Kwik Fit back box has an incompletely welded seam which is showing signs of snuffling. As box is not quite 18 months old I phoned Kwik Fit and was told to bring it in and they would replace it FOC. I arranged to take it in Monday morning.
John is going to discuss wishbones with MOT inspector on Monday morning, and if he says change them, we will change them.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 10:12:09 AM »
Took car into Kwik Fit, first thing, and they checked it out. Showed me that exhaust wasn’t leaking. Mechanic put his hand over tailpipe, to build up back pressure, and there wasn’t a whisper at suspect joint. When he released back pressure it was like a gun going off, so there was plenty pressure there.

Tags: