Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175393 times)

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
I was just reading aboht both the mpg petrol world record holder a Honda Jazz that did from lands end to JOHN o’groats on one tank of fuel and hitting 95mpg

Has anyone read aboht it or have any idea how they achieved that?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:38:48 PM by Jocko »

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
My 2004 CVT Sport MPG varies greatly depending on temperature and traffic. Through town with lot of stop start and traffic traffic lights can be as low as mid to top 20's particularly in winter. Same type of journey in summer can give low to mid 30's. On a steady run on A/B roads at 40-50mph can achieve mid 50's. Possible on a country ride I am getting more than that when average MPG is mid 30's at start of journey and ends at mid 50's after about 40+ miles of steady driving. Not keeping it in D also alters mpg.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
I have a ScanGauge E fitted and that gives me instantaneous mpg indications, which are most enlightening.

It also displays the average for the current journey (I only reset the Honda on-board indication every time I fill up).
Temperature, traffic, gear selection, use of DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off), new tyres or worn tyres, all make a huge difference to mpg.
In slow moving traffic I find keeping in as high a gear as possible helps (moot since you have a CVT). On an A road or motorway I find an indicated 58 mph seems to return the best cruising mpg, but I find that rural roads (most of my out of town driving) return my best figures.
I also find that climbing in 5th, with lower rpm and higher throttle amounts, gives better figures than changing down to 4th or 3rd, with attendant higher revs and lighter throttle.
Yesterday I had an early morning trip into Edinburgh, with queues onto the Queensferry Crossing, queues to join the M8 and slow moving traffic for the remainder of my trip (how those that have to put up with that 5 days a week manage, I don't know). I then had 4 short 3 mile trips, in the city, with long queues, before a relatively leisurely return home, at lunch time. I still managed 51 mpg for the day (as against my recent 54 - 55 mpg for similar weekend journeys.
Being able to monitor mpg can make a huge difference to driving habits, if like me, you like to play the mpg game.

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
Good to hear your thoughts on 5th gear climbing vs a lower gear, I’d felt the same.

I’m cruising up hills at 57 and then P&G from 65 down to 50-55ish.

Rural roads at 40 are where the real gains are!

DFCO wherever possible, but in gear coasting for longer stretches when I don’t have to brake

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2018, 08:27:49 AM »
Went all out for a new record last night on the way home from work. I lucked out as I managed 14 miles behind a crane which are limited to 30mph! :)
Made full use of EOC and DFCO, and got lucky with the weather and traffic .

Drumroll.....

73.5mpg

😱😱😱

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
EOC. Engine off or engine on? I never coast with the engine off other than the 10 feet out of my garage. Either way, that is a tremendous figure. My calculated best between fill ups is 64.0 mpg. But that was only 99 miles and hardly accurate. Managed 64.26 for a tankful, and 434 miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
As can be seen from my avatar I collect data on my mpg to the point of obsession. I try to drive economically as well but I often wonder if I shouldn't just get a life and stop counting! Talking to a mate of mine recently he said he didn't count mpg but used miles per £20 note!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
I treat it as a game, to the extent I would go 100 miles to get 50 mpg rather than 50 miles to get 49, if you know what I mean. I don't worry about what I spend on petrol (within reason). That doesn't figure in the game!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:09 PM »
I think I would agree with that. Given the small mileage I do, cost isn't an issue but I do like logging things. The question is - how far would you go to get those few extra mpg/

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2018, 06:04:19 AM »
I won't do engine off coasting. I wouldn't go to the hypermiling extremes of removing mirrors, wipers and other mods. And I still do very short shopping trips, though I try to group them all together, where I can.
I won't drive in a manner that inconveniences other road users (unless it's s BMW). I don't leave my car outside the garage, preferring to put it away every time, even though that means bringing it out 3 or 4 times a day. We are at the mercy of seagulls here (Five storey flats, by the sea - cliffs!), who seem to defecate as part of their landing and taking off procedure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:51:05 AM by Jocko »

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »
It’s a bit of a game here aswell. I have a large mileage at 160 a day, cost is for me an issue.  I don’t (but probably should) track MPG over the course of a full tank. I’ve really been experimenting with what does and doesn’t work so i guess that’s the next step once I’m happy with where I am with it.
My recorded mpg on the dash over the last 8k miles is over 50 and climbing. It’s lower in part because I started out standard driving/car and slowly implemented changes to driving style and car.
Although I’m enjoying 60ish average I think.
Ultimately I’m aiming to save money through Hypermiling but I’m not being too hard on myself! Trying hard to make the commute fun and not a Labour!

Oh and because I enjoy the occasional hoon! Stupid given what I’m trying to achieve, but sadly the bigger picture here is that i don’t
want to loose concentration on the motorway during rush hour so occasionally get up to speed to refresh my mindset. It’s a huge relentless commute that’s so far been littered with close incidents ( worst being the near head on collision with a car facing the wrong way in the fast lane!)

I’ve modified the car sensibly and to a limit. The car needs to be safe and practical. And the same with my driving. P&G in a manor that doesn’t upset the flow of traffic and EOC (off) only when it’s safe to do so.

I have however made it look like a boy racer car! Bonkers, but then the sheer amount of times I got cut off when I’m trying to overtake and then having to hard brake was destroying my mpg and frustrating! 
Now...no-one gives me a hard time! Probably because they all think I’m a 17 year old with a shiny new licence and no heck ls given 😂
Thankfully it’s not our family car, but soley a commuter car so I don’t ha move to be seen in it for family functions etc!  Although... it has grown on me!
Hey...if it’s stupid but works it’s not stupid right?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:35:28 PM by Fell Viper »

Robbie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »
Around town 35+ steady motorway driving around 46
Computer shoes 53+

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
2004 sport cvt with 136000 miles. Round town with stop starts and traffic queues migh av 27-35mpg. Once out of town on slow country roads this av can rise to low 50s. Working on fill to fill av is usually 45-51mpg and has been since 2004. Best overall results when run 40-60mph.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2018, 06:49:50 AM »
I am loving this lovely warm dry weather Scotland is currently experiencing, and so is my Jazz. My ScanGauge is showing an average of 56 mpg on my daily commute around town. For my two hour drive on Friday (an equal mix of town country and motorway driving) it showed 59 mpg, and my most recent fill up returned a calculated mpg of 63.4.
The figure, below my avatar, is my calculated average (Spiritmonitor.de), for the two years and 49 fill ups since buying the car. I am well chuffed with the Fuel Efficiency of the beasty.

Tags: