Author Topic: Honda Fit engines used in aircraft in USA  (Read 2846 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Honda Fit engines used in aircraft in USA
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68lXteGu0GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vKzkxtPqE0

I saw quite a few years ago that Viking aircraft in USA were using Honda Fit engines in light aircraft and offering conversion kits to replace Rotax and similar engines in other planes.  This is one of their latest videos using the 1.5 litre direct injection Fit engine,  they even fit blowers on them to increase the altitude a plane can fly at.

Strange to think of mass production car engines replacing dedicated aero engines,  good old Honda - fraction of the price of Rotax and the like,  and parts ( if needed ) are cheap.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:58:20 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Honda Fit engines used in aircraft in USA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Years ago I went up in light aircraft powered by VW aircooled motor, apart from the lack of speed it was great
Companies sold a few in Europe from memory then in the 1970's they powered gyrocopters again with Beetle engines.

guest5079

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
A couple of years back, my Wife and I went up in a little Piper. I noticed that in order to have the prop where it is the engine must have been 'upside' down.
Whilst I can figure out most of it, how do they cope with the sump? When normally sited the oil that is splashed around from crank/big ends is scraped down by the piston rings into the sump.
Is there some form of scavenging and where is the sump sited?
Well done Honda for getting into what must be a very lucrative and expanding business.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
I heard that Rolls-Royce started making engines for aircraft :o.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
A couple of years back, my Wife and I went up in a little Piper. I noticed that in order to have the prop where it is the engine must have been 'upside' down.
Whilst I can figure out most of it, how do they cope with the sump? When normally sited the oil that is splashed around from crank/big ends is scraped down by the piston rings into the sump.
Is there some form of scavenging and where is the sump sited?
Well done Honda for getting into what must be a very lucrative and expanding business.
It uses a dry sump system, common on racing machinery, bikes and aircraft. Anything that has a high G loading needs a dry sump system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0lfdUXqV2g

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
Thank you for educating me, Jocko.
 On a slightly different note. Had a story from my Brother in Canada. At some form of air show where of course the light aircraft is a bit more common than here. He was looking at aircraft when he noticed on one, that the hydraulic brake hose was rubbing on a wheel almost to the point of loosing fluid. When he pointed it out to the flyer, he received a very frosty reply. On checking other aircraft he found may similar faults. He was surprised at the lack of either understanding or just indifference. Hope Virgin/BA and the others are a bit more on the ball.

Tags:

anything