Author Topic: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz  (Read 8024 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:30 PM »
When my wife was toying with learning to drive I suggested she learn on an automatic. No clutch and gears to worry about. Later, when she was comfortable driving in traffic and the like, she would up-skill to a manual.
In today's traffic, learning all the skills at once is no easy task. Things were a lot easier in 1965, when I learned to drive. Mind you, I had to learn to double declutch, as the three gear car I learned on had no synchromesh on first.

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »
I regularly flip-flop between my manual Hyundai I10 and my wife's CVT Jazz with no problems at all. Once you've got your brain trained, even at 70, it's a doddle.

Which do I prefer? The CVT - it's so much easier to drive. My next car will definitely be an automatic.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:16 PM »
Although I have driven autos for many years now I still appreciate the skill of driving a manual and being in the right gear at the right time.
Many years ago I used to regularly drive a lorry, an old Austin, with a six speed crash gearbox. I thoroughly enjoyed the  technique required to double declutch every gearchange especially the downward ones.

Vic.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
Interesting article in Auto Express.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102640/it-won-t-be-long-before-automatics-outnumber-manual-car-sales?_mout=1&utm_campaign=autoexpress_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Vic.
In this article the reviewer describes the main types of automatic transmissions, and like many reviewers dismisses CVT as not suitable for a "keen" driver.  Presumably, by keen, he means someone who is more concerned about the sound of the car than the efficiency.  I think of myself as keen, and the great joy of CVT is the seamless ratio changing which matches engine revs to power required, whatever the road speed.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Well - I had a test drive in a 17 plate 1.3 SE with the CVT at Cheshire Oaks Honda this morning. They are very good and let you loose on your own. The dealership is near the motorway so I was able to do a bit of a mix of driving.

I am sold completely and will be taking delivery of the car next Wednesday. I found there could be a bit of a lag when you opened the throttle but it soon caught up. Once up to cruising speed, the revs dropped right back. Even had a little go of the flappy paddles - I think they could be useful on occasions.

I am now a CVT convert and recant my former criticisms!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »
[imghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/st7x5iel37i2hcg/20180215_120058.jpg?dl=0][/img]

As you can see - not very good at this posting pictures lark. This is the new car.

[attachment deleted by admin]

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
Interesting article in Auto Express.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102640/it-won-t-be-long-before-automatics-outnumber-manual-car-sales?_mout=1&utm_campaign=autoexpress_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Vic.
In this article the reviewer describes the main types of automatic transmissions, and like many reviewers dismisses CVT as not suitable for a "keen" driver.  Presumably, by keen, he means someone who is more concerned about the sound of the car than the efficiency.  I think of myself as keen, and the great joy of CVT is the seamless ratio changing which matches engine revs to power required, whatever the road speed.
I also like the sound of constants revs. To me it sounds like the engine is 'just getting the job done'. The more traditional rising, falling, rising of engine RPM sounds like it's faffing about.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:36:00 PM by andruec »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
Well - I had a test drive in a 17 plate 1.3 SE with the CVT at Cheshire Oaks Honda this morning. They are very good and let you loose on your own. The dealership is near the motorway so I was able to do a bit of a mix of driving.

I am sold completely and will be taking delivery of the car next Wednesday. I found there could be a bit of a lag when you opened the throttle but it soon caught up. Once up to cruising speed, the revs dropped right back. Even had a little go of the flappy paddles - I think they could be useful on occasions.

I am now a CVT convert and recant my former criticisms!
Lol, good to hear. You can compensate for the lag through anticipation. Did yours have the rise/fall/rise when the accelerator was flat to the floor?

I find that the paddles are only really useful for selecting a lower gear when going down a hill. In normal driving they rarely seem to be under your fingers when you want them and anyway in discrete mode the box doesn't feel as smooth.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »

As you can see - not very good at this posting pictures lark. This is the new car.
Congratulations Pete! Of course i expect a full introduction with photos in its own topic when you’ve collected the new car.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:12:54 PM by jazzway »

guest1372

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 05:12:22 PM »
.... like many reviewers dismisses CVT as not suitable for a "keen" driver.
Bit daft really as CVT has been banned from racing for offering too great an advantage. Williams FW15C in '93 and the ACU banned the 1911 Zenith Gradua (WW1 dispatch rider bike) from speed records.

By 'keen' maybe they mean more involved.
--
TG

5 things you should never do in a CVT:
Primarily moving the selector while the vehicle is either moving or high-revving.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »
things you should never do in a CVT:
Primarily moving the selector while the vehicle is either moving or high-revving.

If this is true you should not move between 'D' and 'S' while on the move which is obviously not true.
Presumably the statement refers to selecting 'P' while moving or selecting 'D' while going backwards or selecting 'R' while going forwards or revving the engine in 'N' then selecting 'D'.

Vic.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »
What a load of twaddle!  :o

No wonder newcomers have so many misgivings/ doubts......

Just. Get in, and drive it!
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »

Once there was a time you needed a car, you bought one and drove away. Just that. :) There was no internet, no youtube, no “everyone want something to say, useful or not...”

There’s a wealth of information on the world wide web, one has to divide useful information from other. ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »

Once there was a time you needed a car, you bought one and drove away. Just that. :) There was no internet, no youtube, no “everyone want something to say, useful or not...”

There’s a wealth of information on the world wide web, one has to divide useful information from other. ;)

The internet is absolutely full of peoples opinions,  and plenty of self-proclaimed experts, not much hard fact though.   Having too much choice can make things harder especially these days because people know that as soon as they decide and buy something then something 'better  :-X ' is going to be introduced.  Only way to know if a car suits you is to drive the blooming thing and make your own mind up.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: