Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2006-2014 & Insight Takata airbag recall  (Read 154731 times)

guest5298

Re: Honda Jazz 2006-2014 & Insight Takata airbag recall
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »
I tweeted Honda US originally as I didn't realise it was the US account, they replied straight away and said that they would provide a loan car until fixed, when they realised I was in UK they told me to contact Honda UK which I then did. When they eventually replied they said it wasn't unsafe to drive and to wait to hear if mine is affected! I said that if a safety device is faulty then surely it isn't safe to drive and they said that it was only an issue if I had high impact accident! My point was that I don't know when I'm going to be in an accident!!! They kept fobbing me off so I phoned customer services to be told much the same thing, they don't seem to get the fact that we don't know when we're going to be in an accident, that's why they're accidents!! I tweeted once again and they took more details and said mine wasn't affected, however, in the meantime I had written to Honda headquarters and when they EVENTUALLY replied they said it was safe to drive unless in a high impact situation and to wait for further recall letter!!! I am absolutely baffled both by the apparent lack of concern and customer service and it has made me very nervous about driving my beautiful little Jazz...

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 12:28:33 AM »
As far as I can tell no fatal airbag accidents involve Jazz, yet! A trawl of the internet reveals:

Year      Car                                          
2003 - 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX   
2009 - 2001 Accord                          
2009 - 2001 Accord                          
2014 - 2002 Acura                          
2014 - 2001 Accord                          
2014 - 2003 Civic/City (Kuala Lumpur)
2015 - 2005 Civic                          
2015 - 2002 Accord                          
2014 - 2001 Civic                          

Death occurring mostly from shrapnel into neck, and bleeding out.

This site purportedly shows aftermath of airbag explosion (warning not for the squeamish)
http://www.motoringworldng.com/reported-takata-airbag-bomb-victims/

Now excuse me while I check up on a rather nice Renault I saw in the the classified ads this morning.

marymck

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1339 cc 2006
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 10:39:43 AM »
I wonder if coroners and crash investigators in the UK have been aware of this issue and have therefore known what to look for in a crash?  (I'm too squeamish to look at the images in H's link.)   
marymck

guest5562

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Just ran daughter's Jazz VIN through the Honda website and it invites us in for the airbag and drivers window switch recall repairs FOC.

I'll get in touch with local dealers  next week and see what they say.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
Airbags were introduced into USA in 1984 by the government because many Americans didn't use the seatbelts fitted to their cars - they are still known as SRS (supplementary restraint system) because of this, and are seen as a supplement to seatbelts.  American auto makers were resistant to the idea of fitting them on cost grounds so a law had to be passed to make them do it.

Airbags have been killing people since they were introduced,  mainly small drivers (majority women) who had their seat adjusted too far forward and had their chest crushed when steering wheel mounted airbag deployed, since then smaller airbags fitted to steering wheels but with side curtain airbags to try to cover all eventualities.

But if you compare the number of lives saved  (15,000 in USA alone from 1984 up to 2004) since they were introduced with the number that have been injured or killed by them there is no doubt in my mind they have more than proved their worth.  We have to trust the automotive engineers handling any recall to look at the available data and weigh the risks and then prioritise which vehicles are most at risk, and in which countries.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4283

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
Just ran daughter's Jazz VIN through the Honda website...
Just tried mine and says nothing about airbag recall. :(

Honda UK Product recalls and updates page is:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/recalls-and-updates.html

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is found on a small metal plate riveted to the radiator support in the engine bay (page 386 of owner's manual shows you where.) Mine was a 17 character alpha numeric.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
I bought a early 2004 Jazz last week with almost full service history and only two previous owners. Being a keen reader of automotive news, I straightaway checked the recall status of my Jazz and lo and behold there is a recall for my passenger   airbag.

Called the local dealer and they booked me in almost immediately for an inspection first which according to them will take an hour max. After that they will book me in for the actual thing.

I have a question: If there is any outstanding recall on my vehicle, for example the window switch one; would that have come up when I put my VIN number in the online tool on Honda's website?

guest5562

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 04:43:04 PM »
Well it did with ours a couple of weeks back. And when I went in for some small parts at the dealer the parts guy alerted us to the airbag & window switch recalls.. they have parts now and booking it in next week.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
Just had a letter from Honda re air bag recall, just awaiting sufficient parts............

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 11:24:18 AM »
After checking recall status on my Jazz using the online tool, booked in at Lookers Honda Orpington in SE London. Day before yesterday went in and they replaced it within an hour + did a basic complimentary visual inspection too.

Very pleased with the experience actually but it has left me with other things to worry about which I have posted in another thread.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
After checking recall status on my Jazz using the online tool, booked in at Lookers Honda Orpington in SE London. Day before yesterday went in and they replaced it within an hour + did a basic complimentary visual inspection too.

Very pleased with the experience actually but it has left me with other things to worry about which I have posted in another thread.

Well that is strange you have had your vehicle seen to re the air bag recall.

I only got a letter the other day saying they are awaiting sufficient parts before informing affected owners to bring their vehicles in.

More worrying is the fact several people have been killed due to this fault and all Honda is saying is that its OK to use so long as the airbags don't go off! How the *ell am I to know whether I am going to have a severe impact or not. You can't predict whether you gonna have an accident or not. Honda should be telling us to stop using affected vehicles and providing replacement vehicles until such time they can be fixed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:24:13 PM by JazzyB »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
Having just spoken to Honda UK the situation at the moment is they don't know which cars are affected? Its just a precautionary letter but I am still a bit concerned driving my Jazz. See my previous post.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »

Well that is strange you have had your vehicle seen to re the air bag recall.

I only got a letter the other day saying they are awaiting sufficient parts before informing affects owners to bring their vehicles in.

More worrying is the fact several people have been killed due this fault and all Honda is saying is that its OK to use so long as the airbags don't go off! How the *ell am I to know whether I am going to have a severe impact or not. You can't predict whether you gonna have an accident or not. Honda should be telling us to stop using affected vehicles and providing replacement vehicles until such time they can be fixed.

Now you have confirmed my fear.

To be honest, I was surprised when the service manager said its all done and replaced. I was originally asked to come in for a initial inspection after which they will advise me of the day the actual work will be done. When I went to collect the keys, I was told about the *dangerous* ball joint on my car and that it will be £350 to get the work done as its part of the suspension arm. I had to ask him 'what about the airbag' when do I come next? and he said oh that has been taken care of. I asked did you replace it? he said yeah its all done.

Now I did actually see them work under the passenger side dashboard and take the pillar trim off etc but did they just inspect to confirm it didn't require replacement or did they actually replace it immediately?

guest5077

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
Got my Recall re airbag said there busy collecting replacements seems a lot of other makes and models are affected

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
I checked my car on the Honda site last weekend and nothing came up, then the letter arrived on Thursday.

The letter states the recall affects Jazz and Insight models from 2006 to 2012. JazzyB got a letter around the same time as me so it looks like the letters are being sent it out in VIN order as we both have 2007 Jazzes. 2008 and MK2 owners should receive theirs soon.

Tags: recalls 

anything