Author Topic: Noise from Front Brakes  (Read 2473 times)

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Noise from Front Brakes
« on: April 15, 2019, 04:49:20 PM »
Occasionally I have heard a grating/scraping sort of noise from the front brakes when going downhill. It only happens for a short period and usually stops when the car is on a level road. It does sound bad and occurs even under light braking.

Anyone else experienced this?

I first experienced this a year or so ago and afterwards carefully checked the calipers and discs - no scoring or other damage evident. Since then the brakes have been inspected during a service and the pads renewed. There was no feedback from the service technician about any brake defects. A month after the service I experienced the same noise, once again when going downhill at around 40 mph braking to enter a 30 mph limit.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Noise from Front Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »
A small stone between the brake back plate and the disc can sometimes cause this sort of noise.

orcadian

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz SE
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »
Does the car sleep outside?  Ours does it if left overnight in wet weather but it disappears after a few applications of the brakes.  If yours does it well into a journey then I too would suspect something might be lodged between the disc and shield.  When ours does it it’s quite loud initially until the thin rust film is scraped off.

Ian

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »
When I put the car away in the garage, after driving in heavy rain, the following morning the brakes can be very noisy, for the first few applications. Sometimes the rear pads can be stuck to the disc when I first try and drive out the garage. They release with a bang. This is always an issue with disc handbrakes. When I remember, I leave the car with the handbrake off.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:30:30 PM »
I had it on my 54 reg Jazz, never got around to fixing it as it happened so infrequently, though didn't sound great when it did. Sometimes when lightly braking on the level it did it as well. I did wonder if the lip on the front brake pads was causing it. Part exchanged the car for a newer one which so far hasn't made the sound.

AlanTR

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:39:50 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The noise I've experienced is nothing to do with the car being left overnight in wet conditions. This always clears quickly after initial braking.

It is most likely, as has been suggested, something getting caught between the disc and shield. I've not experienced this with another make of car and I've owned a lot of cars since 1964. Also, it always seems to happen when going downhill.

As this is the first Jazz I've owned, I've been wondering whether it's due to some deficiency in the design of the braking system. It's a horrible noise and you expect to see some disc scoring, but so far, I'm pleased to say, nothing seen! Thankfully it's infrequent..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:42:01 PM by AlanTR »

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
It is most likely, as has been suggested, something getting caught between the disc and shield. I've not experienced this with another make of car and I've owned a lot of cars since 1964. Also, it always seems to happen when going downhill.

I sometimes managed to make the noise if gently braking. I don't think it's a stone etc caught between the disc etc, maybe the brake pad base rubbing on a discs lip?

Tags:

anything