Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694205 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2017, 07:16:29 AM »
Tesla have just announced a huge jump in revenue for the three months to end of June, but losses have also increased. Still, the investors are happy with another jump in their share price.
I have decided that if I win the lottery it is a Tesla P100D for me. Only about £160K.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
Tesla have just announced a huge jump in revenue for the three months to end of June, but losses have also increased. Still, the investors are happy with another jump in their share price.
I have decided that if I win the lottery it is a Tesla P100D for me. Only about £160K.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/tough-week-tesla-after-safety-downgrade-sinking-stocks-n780166

Tesla also running into labour problems as they pay lowest wages and their plants have worker injury levels that are too high.  Their quality control has also (kindly I think) been described as 'patchy'.

Tesla could get even further into the mire if their proposed 'high speed' tunnel between New York and Washington goes ahead.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/elon-musk-says-he-has-verbal-approval-his-latest-wild-n784906
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:17:39 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
I'd still go for one if money wasn't a problem.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »
http://www.cornwalllive.com/cornwall-could-be-on-the-verge-of-a-mining-revolution-as-vast-reserves-of-precious-lithium-found/story-30068912-detail/story.html

Apparently Cornwall is the only place in Europe with large deposits of Lithium.  Looks like we will be selling Lithium to the  EU.   Oh how sweet that is -  economists describe Lithium as 'white petroleum' - we could become the Saudi Arabia of Europe LOL

Independence for Cornwall.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Being an old fart, the TV is more of a companion than perhaps it should be.
Last evening a program called 'How it's made'.
They did a bit on copper production. Depending where the deposits are controls the method of extracting the copper from the ore.
Well if ever there was a case for the anti pollution people there it was.
In one case they were pouring molten slag down the side of what started as a hill.
Given the proportion of copper in the ore can nobody come up with an alternative? Tis no wonder it is so costly.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »
The amount of extra copper needed to replace all motor vehicles with electric ones would only be a drop in the ocean compared with the amount of copper that is currently used  for general wiring and current motor production. I spent a year as an Electrical Maintenance Supervisor with a company manufacturing cables. The amount of copper used is phenomenal, and at huge cost financially and environmentally.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/26/treasury-tax-electric-cars-vat-fuel-duty

We just knew it would happen, we all get extra 15% VAT on our bills because people can charge their cars at home and government wants to make up its revenue losses from fuel duty and VED.

This is on top of recently proposed £150 a year levy on electricity bills to pay for unreliable and expensive 'renewables'.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
That Guardian article is semi factual but an increase in domestic energy VAT is just a subsidy to motorists.

The easiest solution is:
cut fuel taxes.
Increase VED by the equivalent value for all vehicles.
Increase VED for electric cars...

And the  raise fuel taxes again... :'(

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Apologies I haven't read the entire thread but I have a great interest in EV, especially Tesla.

However, they are way out of my budget but I would buy one tomorrow if I could.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
Apologies I haven't read the entire thread but I have a great interest in EV, especially Tesla.

However, they are way out of my budget but I would buy one tomorrow if I could.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Me too. I have gone from a sceptic to a believer just in the past few weeks. If I won the lottery I'd have a Tesla P100D at the drop of a hat.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
Me too. I've driven an electric car - a Nissan Leaf belonging to a friend and I'm a convert. Not currently in the market for a change though having had my current car just over 18 months.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2017, 09:21:20 PM »
How is this for an electric car. A Porsche 911 Targa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLdzRJdKrs

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
The more I read up on electric cars, and the more I see of them on YouTube (Robert Llewellyn's "Fully Charged is a good watch), the more enthused I get about them. Technology is racing on, pretty much following Moore's Law, and battery capacity and charging rates seem to be following the same exponential path. I think the EV and AV disciples might be on to something.
I don't think it just a random choice that has seen Softbank investing heavily in ride hailing companies.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
I'm pretty much the same Jocko. The technology fascinates me and, if I'm being honest, it probably trumps environmental or cost issues. There are also some interesting issues around smart grids - in Berlin engineers are looking at cars being used as battery storage and actually feeding back into the smart grid at times of high demand and taking a charge at low periods of demand.

All this is in its infancy but it will be interesting to see it develop. The ban on petrol and diesel by 2040 is also interesting because it enables the government to look as if they are doing something about air quality but the change will happen organically. There will be few ICE cars left in 23 years anyway.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »
I'm pretty much the same Jocko. The technology fascinates me and, if I'm being honest, it probably trumps environmental or cost issues. There are also some interesting issues around smart grids - in Berlin engineers are looking at cars being used as battery storage and actually feeding back into the smart grid at times of high demand and taking a charge at low periods of demand.

All this is in its infancy but it will be interesting to see it develop. The ban on petrol and diesel by 2040 is also interesting because it enables the government to look as if they are doing something about air quality but the change will happen organically. There will be few ICE cars left in 23 years anyway.

The ban on petrol and diesel will only cover vehicles when the only source of propulsion is the ICE engine,  which lets out  PHEV and hybrids

Interesting about using EV batteries to top up the grid - I have seen this idea described in some articles as a 'non-starter' ,  which is just what will happen to your EV when the grid just nicked all the power out of your EV and you need to use it urgently.

Tags:

anything