Author Topic: Any bakers out there?  (Read 1131 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Any bakers out there?
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
After almost 70 years of avoiding a kitchen I had a fancy, the other day, to try making scones. My father and grandfather both enjoyed baking so I imagine it must have been buried deep in my genes.
Well I bought the stuff, got a recipe and made a batch. They were superb. My wife couldn't believe that someone who thought flour grew in gardens could make such a success straight off the bat.
Over the past week I have made 3 batches of shortbread (by the time I got to the third batch it was glorious), a batch of rock buns which are melt in your mouth, and today I have a Lemon Drizzle traybake in the oven.
I think I missed my calling.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Any bakers out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »
You'll be on telly next Jocko!  8)

By strange coincidence, I made a batch of scones this afternoon, and a dozen breadcakes. I've always enjoyed baking, and cooking anything really. I find it relaxing and strangely therapeutic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »
Today I bought myself a hand food mixer (Russel Hobbs - £10 - Morrisons). The Lemon Drizzle Tray bake was excellent too. I bought a copy of the Be Ro 41st edition and I am finding things I would like to try. Nothing too complicated to begin with. YouTube is great for seeing how other people do it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
The BeRo book is brilliant. I've got a 25 year old copy, but I think my mum's is from the 1950s - it has a few different recipes in it, but it's more or less the same thing.

The internet is a good source of recipes these days, some great recipe inventors out there.

Tags: