Author Topic: Persistent noise from rear  (Read 3191 times)

alarch

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Persistent noise from rear
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:34:28 PM »
I've test driven a 2003 Honda Jazz today that seems great apart from a persistent and consistent loud noise from the rear. The only thing that's preventing me from putting an offer in for the car is concern that there may be significant hidden costs lying ahead. It's hard to describe the sound is - I'd almost say it was just louder road noise than I'd expect - are Mk1 Honda Jazz's typically noisy? What could the worse case scenario be cost wise?

guest5505

Re: Persistent noise from rear
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
Sounds unusual, could be wheel bearings perhaps?

Was it is private sale or from a trader? Did you mention it during the test drive?

I'd get it checked out before you buy so you have an idea on cost, and to know how much to offer for the car.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:44:01 PM »
Rear wheel bearing either left, right, or both sides needs replacing. 

If you jack the car up and rotate the wheel by hand you should feel the roughness, it's an MOT failure item so it will be worth putting the registration into https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ to see if it's been previously advised.

The Honda charge for doing this is approx part £150 + labour £100, if you have a 30mm socket you can do it yourself for £40 each side. There is a guide on here, it's quite easy.
Motor factors will have the rear bearing in stock (or via eBay/Amazon) it's a popular item, but once replaced should be fine for the rest of the car's lifetime.
--
TG

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:56:38 PM »
if in doubt , walk away .
There's 000's of good Jazz out there

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:42 AM »
Are you sure that the seller didn't leave his Mother-in-Law on the back seat, hoping to get shot of her as well  ;D

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »
That would be another case of a fault that Honda has long acknowledged. It seems that pretty much all the cars manufactured in 2003-2004 suffer from premature wear of the rear wheels ball bearings. Mine included. It seems to depend on the mileage rather than on the age of the vehicle. Say 100K Kms. Honda has been extending the warranty on the ball bearings to 8 years. Beyond 8 years, the fault is not covered (just checked with Honda) :(
At stake.

Tags: