Author Topic: [SOLVED] Using Android Auto without USB-line + Wireless connection (2022 Hybrid)  (Read 13283 times)

Liri

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz E:HEV LUXE 1.5PH E:H Hatchback
It took me a while to believe that Honda Jazz Hybrid/E:Hev models don't actually prefer Apple over Android... and I was right!

Here is what you need to do:
1. First, make sure Bluetooth Audio is DISCONNECTED. Even better, delete any current Bluetooth pairing your android phone has with the Honda touchscreen.

2. 'Hack' the touchscreen system to allow Android Auto connection by Holding Down HOME + VOLUME BUTTON + Back skipping (<<) buttons at the same time. After pressing these 3 buttons simultaneously for almost 10 seconds, a Self-Diagnosis screen will come up.
Click on 'Detailed Information' > 'Smartphone Information' > 'Android Auto' > select 'ON(USB/Wireless)
Watch this video on how to do it all -
3. Return to main screen, and click 'CONNECT' with the phone icon at the bottom. There should now be an option for Android Auto that says "Turn ON bluetooth and search 'Honda HFT' on your Android phone'. Do exactly that. Your phone's name should now appear on a list of connected devices (eg. "XX's phone is connected) > make sure you click into that, and now in addition to 'Audio' and 'Phone' functions, 'Android Auto' should appear as a function also. Click that and apply.

4. You can now use Android Auto WITHOUT a USB line!

Bonus: If you're like me trying a million times to connect to my android's phone wifi hotspot, but the SSID/network name just won't show - make sure you switch to 2.4GHz, because otherwise Honda HFT cannot find it...

Have a good day!

[Update: 2 weeks on -
The connection is still working wonderfully. After I get into the car and power on, it takes about 5-7 secs max for Android Auto to automatically appear on the Honda touchscreen, and music to start playing.
I noticed that many people might have a firewall or VPN that could be interfering with their bluetooth connection. I use AdGuard and there is a tab called 'App Management' - make sure Android Auto is selected and that 'Route app traffic through AdGuard' is turned OFF. This ensures minimum disruption to the connection.]

[Great work from ppl over here - https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/honda-hack-root-11th-gen-work-in-progress-discoveries.49933/post-828253 ]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:38:21 AM by Liri »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
I hope you have more luck than I did

I ran Android Auto via wireless for over a year and it was flaky to connect

About 50% of the time I got either 'failed to connect' or ' phone not compatible', or, it took up to 2 minutes to connect and that was with compatible Samsung S10 and S23 phones

Once connected, which often required a time consuming phone restart after it failed, it was fine but the phone restart often meant I'd wasted up to 3 or 4 minutes before I could set off

Since those days I've used the USB wired and it's so quick to connect it beats the Start / Settings nag screen
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
...Yeah there's a reason they don't switch it on by default and only mention wired Android.

Flaky is a rather kind way of putting it!  :o ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
In my case it could have been that my phone was also connecting to a Garmin DS61 and was also firing up an Android App called Speedtrap Alert so the phone was performing multiple tasks on car powerup.

Since switching to wired I've removed the Garmin as it's no longer needed but STA is still firing up OK.

As for my music now the phone is in the USB port I've installed VLC Android App and loaded my music on that. Works just like my USB stick did with the VLC playlist, FIFO, first in first out

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
...If I don't have a USB in I use YT Music.

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
I hope you have more luck than I did

I ran Android Auto via wireless for over a year and it was flaky to connect

It's especially flaky with Android 11 unless you have a Pixel or certain models of Samsung phone. It only works reliably more generally with the latest Android 13 phones really. It's to do with the way mobile data pass through works.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:39:59 AM by mitchelln »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
My S23 is 13 but was no better than my old S10

Having tried wired for some time now and seen the difference there is no way I would go back to wireless

I've got the wiring mostly invisible

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
I'm finding Android Auto to be the usual beta grade Google crap. Almost every time they release an upgrade it breaks it. The most common problem is with Maps after an AA upgrade. You enter your destination fine, it even then shows the routes, but when you hit the Start button you just get the spinning icon and then it says "Something went wrong". Nothing will get it working at this point. It only usually starts working again when an update to Maps comes out a few days later. Clearly two divisions at Google not working together and we're just expected to put up with broken SatNav functionality. The wired connection is flaky as well due to the bulky data cable required. You drive over a bump and it frequently loses connection. Usually at a critical point when you need directions.

Google just doesn't get it. They are constantly fiddling with the APIs and breaking it. They don't offer any form of proper support. This is why car manufacturers prefer and promote CarPlay, because Apple gets that you cannot keep constantly breaking critical apps like vehicle SatNav. They actually bother to test releases rather than relying on their user base as beta testers.

With the Honda Garmin SatNav not having traffic in the UK, I've actually gone back to having a stand alone TomTom unit. This  peeves me greatly, but at least it is reliable.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX

With the Honda Garmin SatNav not having traffic in the UK, I've actually gone back to having a stand alone TomTom unit. This  peeves me greatly, but at least it is reliable.

I could weep reading this! Sold my stand alone Tom Tom unit on ebay for not that much money. What a great piece of kit it was and, unlike the byzantine complexity of the built in sat nav update procedure, even I could do the updates by simply plugging the thing into my lap top. I could have used this on the odd occasion I need completely up to date maps and/or traffic. Fortunately this is increasingly rare these days.

I am sick and tired of tech. I have just bought a refurbished Samsung S21 to replace my aging Samsung S7 smartphone. I've bought the right cable to connect the phones up and have watched several You Tube videos. Here are the issues:

1) There is NO consensus on when you should transfer the SIM card. One person says under no circumstances should you do it before transfer another says it doesn't matter.

2) Whats App won't transfer seamlessly. You have to do a highly complex procedure involving "backing up" the contents, then fiddle about until you get a Q code on your old phone which you scan on to your new phone and then you do some other crap.

3) Email. I use Aqua Mail to host my TalkTalk email account. Highly complex procedures again.

4) What do you do about transferring your fingerprint access? Will my banking app work?

I would pay a vast sum of money to pay somebody to do this. The problem, according to an acquaintance who worked in IT, is these protocols and procedures are designed by kids who have grown up with tech. My generation have analogue brains which work in a linear fashion and many of us are disenfranchised by the complexity of doing essential tasks like transferring your stuff to a new phone. A pal has solved the issue by not using his phone for anything other than texts, calls and photos and his Liverpool FC season ticket. PC or lap top for everything else.

Sorry for hijacking this thread - just needed to vent and it does refer to another unnecessarily complex procedure. If I have to use my phone to access Android auto I shall be using a wire!

Rant over and apologies again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:03:52 AM by peteo48 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
I've been using Google Maps via Android Auto since Sep 2021 in my Jazz and once connected, that problem now solved, it's never failed for me, routeing has been quick and reliable

Driving over rough roads has never caused any connection issues

Like most things though, it works for some but not for others for reasons unknown

One of the biggest culprits seems to be dashcams. Most issues on those seem to be bad fuse selection or bad SDCard selection

Tags:

anything