Author Topic: I-SHIFT failure  (Read 11014 times)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
Re: I-SHIFT failure
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:06 PM »
Yes definitely if the "free" warranty runs out then might as well use the money for extended warranty on maintance. If the car is serviced according to the book, then it should be reliable. Even if you encounter a problem like mine, £320.should fix the i-Shift actuator.

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
I have heard it said that all these actuators, including Honda, are made by Bosch. Did your repair man make any mention of it?  My Jazz i SHIFT is at 30k. If I got to 80k and that failed, I would consider I had my money out of it.
   I would still repair it as my body is Dinitrol'd and it is over maintained mechanically.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
Had a chat with the £350 i-shift repair man from Northampton who does 2/3 of these every week, he says there is nothing you can do to prolong the life and it WILL go one day. Mine has done 40k and is fine, however the clock is probably ticking !!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
Is life expectancy related to type of usage? Urban driving with innumerable gear changes will cause a lot more wear to everything in the drivetrain compared to out-of-town driving with far fewer gear changes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
Is life expectancy related to type of usage? Urban driving with innumerable gear changes will cause a lot more wear to everything in the drivetrain compared to out-of-town driving with far fewer gear changes.

Agree,  that is the same problem as with normal manual gearbox bearing failures on GD,  my wife did short journeys in her GD,  my mileage was always long distance commuting on good A and B roads.  The cars were identical 53 plate 1.4 and her gearbox got so noisy at around 80K that it had to be fixed,  my gearbox was till fine at 120K when it got traded in. They both had gearbox molyslip in,  and I am sure that without it my wifes bearing would have failed sooner because she did a lot more low gear mileage than I did, putting more strain on the bearing.

There is a lot of sense in the 'motorway miles' being better for a car than local mileage.  High mileage does not hurt modern cars,  in fact I am wary of cars that have done only small annual mileages as being potentially more liable to give problems.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:53:11 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 11:50:32 PM »
No lexi, I didn't ask him if they were made by Bosch. I will next time. I guessed these semi-automatic have a shelf-life. Unfortunately when we brought it, no one told us. But at least for now, my car is working and lucky I didn't have to pay £2k for repairs!

Tags: