Author Topic: Suspension creaks over road humps. Warranty claim?  (Read 12438 times)

ajw1100

Suspension creaks over road humps. Warranty claim?
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
Hi.
My wife's 2010 1.4 i-Vtec ES was purchased used in May 2012 from a Honda Dealer and is covered by the 12 months Honda Happiness Guarantee and has developed front suspension creaks going fairly slowly over road humps. I would assume this will be caused by the various suspension rubbers and the cold temperatures.

Before we attempt to contact the Honda dealer about this can anyone let us know if we will be wasting our time asking for replacement under the Happiness Guarantee? These are possibly classed as wear and tear items but the mileage is low at under 25k and I think they should have lasted a lot longer.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Alan.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: Suspension creaks over road humps. Warranty claim?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
mine does it too it is normal in cold weather it will go away when warm weather gets here or you go on a long drive

ajw1100

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply, however if it is covered under warranty why put up with it creaking? It can only get worse!

Regards
Alan.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »
It's not acceptable, Alan.

And even if you put up with it/get used to it, imagine if you ever sell the car privately in the winter!

If you feel it's appropriate/potentially useful, get it 'logged' by the dealer... and then pursue it. (See my paragraph below about how I went about that.)

Here's my experience with it:

Mine (GE 59/30000 miles) does it too in very cold weather since not many miles. The dealer has 'lubed' it on two occasions. First time - I was later told they lubed it with some silicone-based compound - silenced it for a year or more so that I thought it was 'cured'... but on coldest days this winter the 'creak' returned. Last winter the car wasn't used...

(Done for FREE, under warranty but I'd bet it's the work of just a few minutes.)

However the lube of a couple of months ago has not lasted. But it's amazing how noticeably quiet it is just after it's done. Because although it's most noticeable, by far, over humps, it's 'quietly' noisy all the time over all surfaces as the suspension works. It kinda fades into the background, I think, but nevertheless adds to overall front-end noise in cold weather, noticeable at low/round town speeds... and you insidiously get used to it till sudden improvement... just a shot of lube, say... SILENCE!

It has featured in my email to my dealer while under warranty and I'm assured it's logged in their system. (I checked that by asking over the reception desk while in for a service as to what's logged against my registration number. As follows: "Is there anything logged for my car Reg. Number?" "Can you read out what it says, please.")

So although my car is now out of warranty, I am fully expecting them to honour it as a fault reported while under warranty... and this I was assured they'd do. I must test that before the weather warms. This time I'll be pressing for new bushes (I think it's just two) hoping it's the rubber compound at fault and they've since revised the compound. Whichever way I want it 'cured'. Fingers crossed.

Creaking suspension bushes have featured on this forum before as a problem for several others - it's possible Honda UK know about it... It could be well worth contacting Honda UK if your dealer won't play ball.

Others may have something more revealing to add to what I have said.

It exercises me because it's otherwise a great car!

Do let us all know how you get on, Alan.

ajw1100

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »
Hi IvyTek.

Thank you for your very interesting reply, I agree its not acceptable, I did a search for suspension rubbers not bushes and found nearly no results of any note. I will try again with suspension bushes!

Your suggestion (Idea) of emailing is excellent, the car is due for a service in May which is just past its 3 year warranty but well within the '12 month Happiness Guarantee'.

Did you advise your dealer about this problem in its own right and not part of a general service complaint? I do not want to wait until May this year as then the 12 month HG will expire, sooner than later is my motto! In any case in May the weather will be warmer and the creaking less likely to be noticeable.

Best regards
Alan.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
Alan
I notified verbally, they 'fixed' it the first time. Second time (over a year later?) I emailed, then when coincidentally needing a service checked they'd logged it in their system. I've clarified that paragraph of my previous post - see above... and I should have added I filed my email in my system. AND their reply email. No doubt all common-sense obvious to you. A paper letter'd be just as good if less convenient.

Get stuff like that in writing - p'raps not foolproof but much better than verbal. Act asap for reasons you've said.

THIS is what their email said:
Creaking noise from the front of the vehicle.This is typically heard during or after periods of wet weather, and combined with large suspension inputs, for example when driving over speed humps.Water can ingress between the Rubber Bush and the Lower Arm Bush Housing.It is not necessary to remove or replace any parts to achieve a satisfactory fix.Using an Air Blower, we thoroughly dried both sides of the Lower Arm Bush.Using the specified lubricant, spray evenly a liberal amount to the front and rear area of the Lower Arm Bush around the circumference of the Lower Arm Bush Housing and Bush Rubber.The lubricant is designed to penetrate tight tolerance parts and is therefore drawn in between the Lower Arm Bush Housing and the Bush Rubber through capillary action.Initially when test driving the vehicle some noise may still be heard. Any remaining noise will quickly disappear as the lubricant is distributed.
If you feel this is not the case then please do not hesitate to contact me so we can aim to have your vehicle return for further investigation.

SEARCH words for you:
creaking noises from front suspension
creak noise over speed bumps

A couple of threads additional to yours come up.

I wonder how many others have same problem?????

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
Interesting post......

With the recent cold/ snow weather- I've noticed that (only) when I reverse out of my (slight incline) drive, I hear a slight creaking sound coming from the rear.  This only happens when i reverse out, and havent really noticed it otherwise.

My car is due its service and mot next monday so will mention it and see what they will do as its out of warranty with it being purchased in Mar'09

My guess will be the lube option

ajw1100

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
Okay, I have emailed the Service Manager at the Honda dealer stating the problem and that I did not want a 'lube' job which will not last and have requested that the bushes be replaced under the Honda guarantee.

I checked the cars  mileage which is less than 14k in 2 3/4 years, new in 2010. Just over 1k in the last 10 months since our purchase. The bushes should not have shown signs of failure this early.

I will let you know the response!

Regards
Alan.

guest2853

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:53:46 PM »
Mine creaks too.
It really gives a cheap impression. >:(

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
Is it not still under the three year manufactuer warranty?

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

ajw1100

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
Hi RichardA.

It is still under warranty and we have booked it in at the dealers to be 'investigated'.  I have asked for the work - new bushes - to be done under warranty.

Had the car MOT'd today in case anything showed up, it did. Both front tyres on the inner side are well worn, to the extent of a feathered edge with chunks of rubber you can pick up with your fingernail!

The tyres are 175/65/R15.

The tracking is obviously out and has been for sometime by the look of these tyres. I phoned the service manager regarding the two problems saying I felt they may be connected, in that if the bushes are failing then that could cause uneven tyre wear. Don't know if I am right as I don't have much experience of Honda's as this is our first one.

I noted one long thread about uneven tyre wear but this seemed to be aimed at cars with 16" wheels, is this a common problem with 15" wheels as well?

Many thanks for your replies.

Regards
Alan.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »
Front tyres 175/65/15 worn on inside edge? Yep... both... one inch almost smooth all the way round while the rest of the tyre has yet to wear down to the Tread Wear Indicator bars.

Ans so it's the second time in 30,000 miles it's been tracked/aligned (recently) for the very same tread wear pattern. First time was at 13,000.

Mind you we do have some tracking-busting potholes! I saw a chap almost bucked off his scooter the other day. Disgraceful, really...

But maybe it's faulty suspension bushes causing the tyre wear...

If you need tyres take a look at mytyres.co.uk for great range and prices. Don't accept the Honda dealer tyre quote before comparing.

Do keep us all informed as to how you get on.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
The tracking might be OK, but the camber or castor could be the cause, so worth having the front end geometery checked?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were changes on the GE models was revised front geometery to give improved feedback and response etc?
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest3793

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »
Check the position of the steering wheel before you take it in and then again once it is returned. Mine went in for the lubrication of the bushes which so far seem to have worked but when I got the car back the steering wheel was ever so slightly off. I know for a fact it was ok (I'm really finicky with my car). I just couldn't be bothered with the "well you must have kerbed it sir" argument.

ajw1100

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »
IvyTek
Front tyres 175/65/15 worn on inside edge? Yep... both... one inch almost smooth all the way round while the rest of the tyre has yet to wear down to the Tread Wear Indicator bars.

You been peeking mate!  ;D Description exactly right, and this car has under 14k on the clock (Not as mentioned in my first post, mine has the 25k on it, Passat SEL).

I usually use BlackCircles as there is a dealer quite close, just in case of problems. Prices close with MyTyres but will contact Costco as I have a card and they may be better but I doubt it.

Originals were Dunlop SP 31's all round, these seem quite rare unless you're in Eastern Europe where Google seems to find most hits! One UK price was just under £100 whereas a Michelin Energy Saver is around £72 and Bridgestones around £63 and BlackCircles do Tesco points which impressed the Mrs :-X

I would never scrimp on tyres, they are the only parts of the car keeping you on the road so only go with major manufacturers no Hingbook or Sumho or such like funny labels.

My wife does take care with her cars and would never kerb it.

Its booked in for next week so will have to wait to see what they say, I do enjoy a battle and before I got the Passat I got a refund on my BMW 5 Series E61 which was a lemon, that took some doing I can assure you!

Regards
Alan.

Tags:

anything