Author Topic: Egr valve  (Read 8114 times)

guest7024

Egr valve
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
Sick of taking off cleaning  can you actually take it apart to clean. If I blank it off would it cause any harm

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Egr valve
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
Sick of taking off cleaning  can you actually take it apart to clean. If I blank it off would it cause any harm

Blank it off but leave it connected - otherwise you will get a light on  :D

Only starts to open above about 3500 rpm to 'cool' combustion and reduce Nox.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7024

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

Blank it off but leave it connected - otherwise you will get a light on  :D

Only starts to open above about 3500 rpm to 'cool' combustion and reduce Nox.
Thanks

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
Stevec1962 - I have been meaning to ask this question for a while but seeing your post has prompted me to get on with it! Is cleaning the EGR valve a routine job (if so, is it a DIY job?) or is it a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? What are the symptoms if it isn't working properly?

guest7024

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Stevec1962 - I have been meaning to ask this question for a while but seeing your post has prompted me to get on with it! Is cleaning the EGR valve a routine job (if so, is it a DIY job?) or is it a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? What are the symptoms if it isn't working properly?
Mine gives slight judder  around 40 / 50 mph  I stripped off cleaned 2 x  then tried little can cleaner from halfords you spray in air  system both seem to work for about month  2 bolts to get it off

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
Cleaned my EGR because of stalling at junctions, particularly uphill starts. Seriously considering blanking it off, you can get a blanking plate that fits most small Hondas, including the Jazz, for a few pounds.

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »
Mine gives slight judder  around 40 / 50 mph  I stripped off cleaned 2 x  then tried little can cleaner from halfords you spray in air  system both seem to work for about month  2 bolts to get it off

OK, thanks. I don't get the juddering you describe but I do find a similar situation that Sparky Paul reports i.e. I have found it difficult to get a smooth start from rest. At first I put it down to poor clutch control on my part, as I found I had to really put my foot down on the accelerator because I had the feeling that the car would stall if I didn't. Sometimes I don't need to do that and the car will move off smoothly - other times it stalls or is about to. I've had the car (07 reg) for just over a year now and it's just the same as it was at the beginning.

As I've been driving for about 50 years using a huge variety of cars in that time, I don't think the problem is down to me!

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:15:44 AM »
Cleaned my EGR because of stalling at junctions, particularly uphill starts. Seriously considering blanking it off, you can get a blanking plate that fits most small Hondas, including the Jazz, for a few pounds.

Paul - thanks for your comments. Please see my reply to Steve1962 above - I think I have the same problem as you.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 08:21:43 AM »
I have found it difficult to get a smooth start from rest. At first I put it down to poor clutch control on my part, as I found I had to really put my foot down on the accelerator because I had the feeling that the car would stall if I didn't. Sometimes I don't need to do that and the car will move off smoothly - other times it stalls or is about to. I've had the car (07 reg) for just over a year now and it's just the same as it was at the beginning.

As I've been driving for about 50 years using a huge variety of cars in that time, I don't think the problem is down to me!
I have been driving for over 50 years, I experience the above, and I too have had my Jazz for over a year. I think it is down to me. The Jazz is a relatively low powered vehicle (my 1.2 litre one certainly is), it has a relatively fierce clutch (I have driven cars where you could almost slip your foot off the side of the clutch and it would still take up smoothly), and it has a notoriously fickle accelerator (you can buy an electronic circuit to smooth the accelerator operation out). As a consequence, driving, as I do, with thick soled size 10's, requires more than a bit of finesse with the throttle and clutch.
The motorcycle I learned to ride on (Honda CB100N) was exactly the same. You just had to give it enough revs to get further up the torque curve, slip the clutch, and off you went. Smoothly. I find it is exactly the same with my Jazz.
Personally I have never had any doubts about the operation of my EGR valve. The engine performs flawlessly, fuel consumption is great, no judder at any speed once clutch is fully engaged, and no warning lights or codes.
If however, you think there is an issue, then a blank can be purchased for £3.89 from eBay, two bolts and you can try it and see.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-blanking-plate-Honda-Accord-Prelude-Civic-Jazz-Shuttle-Petrol-engines/121234492470?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Personally I have never had any doubts about the operation of my EGR valve. The engine performs flawlessly, fuel consumption is great, no judder at any speed once clutch is fully engaged, and no warning lights or codes.

IMHO and general consensus on 'tinternet seems to be that EGR more likely to give problems if car is constantly used for short local journeys and never gets a higher speed higher rev blast occasionally to burn off the crud that can build up in the EGR,  especially the solenoid shaft. There are dire warnings on some politically correct sites that 'blanking off the EGR can cause your engine to overheat' by allowing combustion temperatures to rise etc.  in fact when the EGR is working properly it actually reduces both the combustion temperature and engine power by replacing some of the oxygen in the combustion chamber with exhaust gas, which is also what happens when the EGR sticks open but then it reduces power and messes up the combustion at revs around tick-over and above (when you need good clean combustion to allow you to pull away smoothly).

Only time I have had jerky take-offs of Jazz and Civic I knew it was clutch related and I gave the clutches a good warm up by leaving handbrake on and deliberately slipping the clutch.  My clutch control is pretty good but even I was unable to control the juddering when using normal revs to pull away and had to resort to winding the revs up and letting the clutch out as slowly as I could,  but the 'Italian clutch tune-up' worked wonders and I had a smooth clutch afterwards.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:01 AM »
Short local journeys and no high revs pretty much describes my use of the Jazz. I wasn't advocating doing away with the EGR valve but just replacing it temporarily, to see if it cured Bonzo James' issues when pulling away.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Short local journeys and no high revs pretty much describes my use of the Jazz. I wasn't advocating doing away with the EGR valve but just replacing it temporarily, to see if it cured Bonzo James' issues when pulling away.

I wasn't advocating keeping the EGR either, there are plenty of posts from people on internet who have blanked off the EGR but left it connected when it was giving them problems and cleaning didn't help,  it can be the cheapest option.

I deliberately said 'politically correct' websites will say you cannot blank off the EGR and then give dire warnings about you contribution to the NOx in the air and overheating of engines, which possibly could happen if you drive everywhere like a lunatic,  but then if you drove like that the EGR is unlikely to give problems anyway.

guest7024

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »

I wasn't advocating keeping the EGR either, there are plenty of posts from people on internet who have blanked off the EGR but left it connected when it was giving them problems and cleaning didn't help,  it can be the cheapest option.

I deliberately said 'politically correct' websites will say you cannot blank off the EGR and then give dire warnings about you contribution to the NOx in the air and overheating of engines, which possibly could happen if you drive everywhere like a lunatic,  but then if you drove like that the EGR is unlikely to give problems anyway.
I'm fed up of cleaning mine  so blanking off option for me

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Maybe you should fit a brand new EGR. Perhaps it's passed cleaning. I've seen them from £35 upwards.

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 08:29:57 PM »
I have found it difficult to get a smooth start from rest. At first I put it down to poor clutch control on my part, as I found I had to really put my foot down on the accelerator because I had the feeling that the car would stall if I didn't. Sometimes I don't need to do that and the car will move off smoothly - other times it stalls or is about to. I've had the car (07 reg) for just over a year now and it's just the same as it was at the beginning.

I have been driving for over 50 years, I experience the above, and I too have had my Jazz for over a year. I think it is down to me. The Jazz is a relatively low powered vehicle (my 1.2 litre one certainly is), it has a relatively fierce clutch (I have driven cars where you could almost slip your foot off the side of the clutch and it would still take up smoothly), and it has a notoriously fickle accelerator (you can buy an electronic circuit to smooth the accelerator operation out). As a consequence, driving, as I do, with thick soled size 10's, requires more than a bit of finesse with the throttle and clutch.
The motorcycle I learned to ride on (Honda CB100N) was exactly the same. You just had to give it enough revs to get further up the torque curve, slip the clutch, and off you went. Smoothly. I find it is exactly the same with my Jazz.
If however, you think there is an issue, then a blank can be purchased for £3.89 from eBay, two bolts and you can try it and see.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-blanking-plate-Honda-Accord-Prelude-Civic-Jazz-Shuttle-Petrol-engines/121234492470?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Thanks for your interesting reply! Like you, I find my Jazz performs flawlessly exactly as you describe. I get about 45 mpg which is not bad considering practically all my journeys in it are very local, typically around 5 miles each way! (We have a 2014 Jazz CVT as our other car which is used for longer runs, typically anything up to 170 miles each way). I get no problem pulling away if I give the accelerator some wellie but this can be embarrassing sometimes, taking me back to my learner days back in the late 60's! I guess I can only try the blanking-off idea and see if that makes any difference.

Tags: