Author Topic: 12v car vacuum-use with engine running or not?  (Read 6185 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
12v car vacuum-use with engine running or not?
« on: February 22, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
Hi, and maybe what seems a strange question but have never had 1 before!

I received above item as a gift and as question suggests, it plugs into car lighter to use. However, I am not clear (as have either used domestic hoover & extension from home/caravan-3 pin plug-to clean car or the type at garages) whether this should be used with engine turned on/running or with key in ignition and set to turn 1 or 2?

If I use without turning engine on I fear this may drain the battery and therefore train of thought is that I should use when engine running. For technical information purposes, if it assists:

Product Name: Car Vacuum Cleaner
Input Current: 8A
Input Voltage: DC-12v
Power: 106W
Power Cord Length: 14.76ft
Vacuum Degree: ≥4.5KPa

Finally, I cannot envisage using the vac for anymore than 20 mins max (as this is what it has taken on previous occasions & car does not get absolutely filthy in any event). Prior to using any vac, have always used firm brush to agitate and brush all 'dirt' and detritis down to car mats, then brushed or hoovered these indoors using home hoover.

Many thanks for replies on what might seem a simple query!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 12v car vacuum-use with engine running or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
You have to turn ignition to position 1 to get power to the Aux socket. I do not use a vacuum cleaner, but I do use a tyre compressor, and I do not have the engine running. If you have doubts about your battery then running the engine won't do any harm (my compressor advises this method). I think you will find that 8A is the fusing of the vacuum. Doubt it will draw as much current as that. I gave up on car vacuums. I felt I could suck harder. When my wife suggested a new vacuum cleaner for the house I suggested a Dyson cordless, and it does the car interior great. I also use it for the carpets on the garage floor.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:25:45 AM »
If you divide the stated power of 106Watts by 12 you get 8.8 amps,  the fuse in the cigarette lighter circuit is normally 10amps.  These 12 volt devices draw more current than you think,  my neighbour was unable to start his car after topping up his 4 tyres and the spare ( but his car did not get used much, so battery probably low anyway ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »
I didn't notice it had quoted the actual power of the device. As a retired electrical engineer I should have spotted that.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »
I used a 12v car vac many years ago and it was rubbish.

You can't beat a mains powered one or one of the latest cordless ones.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
one of the latest cordless ones.

I use a Dyson V6 cordless, does the job without any problems even with dirt caught in the carpet.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12:15 PM »
one of the latest cordless ones.

I use a Dyson V6 cordless, does the job without any problems even with dirt caught in the carpet.

Our bagless mains powered Hoover is 1600watt and lifts the carpets,  ( I hope the EU vacuum cleaner inspector isn't reading this ) It has a long cable so easy to use in the car. 

I loved it when Dyson took the EU to court about the regulations for testing their bagged vacuum cleaners without any dust in them,  the regulations favoured the German Vacuum cleaner makers   :o ( what a surprise )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
Hi Guys, many thanks for responses. Have to agree that lithium battery and domestic plug in types obviously always more powerful than plug in car lighter type. What I didn't want to do was drain battery if using 12v vac for max of 30 mins & even then it wouldn't be continuous use.

Hi Jocko, MTs for confirm that wont damage if I do have engine running whilst use of vac. As you also say you use a tyre compressor, albeit with engine off. I too use tyre compressor but (as you mention) advises that car engine running whilst in use. When done this never had any problems with battery/car starting next day or whenever.

Think from todays responses & other bit of research I could find (not much) is will use car vac with engine on. Many thanks peeps for your time in replying over a weekend.

Anymore info on this though gladly received.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:11:23 AM »
I've never had any problem running a tyre compressor without the engine running. And when I first got my Jazz all four tyres were losing 6+ psi a week so I ran it a lot! 
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:38:51 PM »
It's always worth checking that the inside of the tyre valves are fully screwed in.  I always check mine when I get a new car or new tyres, I can usually tighten them at least 1/4 of a turn.  You can get a small tool in Halfords for this. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »
They can actually work loose over time. If your tyres lose pressure, especially if you have steel wheels, the valves are worth checking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veroda-Remover-Removal-Bicycle-truck/dp/B00WLN6RPQ/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1551110467&sr=8-20&keywords=tyre+valve+tool

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »
Thanks I didn't know that. I had to get new tyres anyway and there was a good bit of corrosion on the alloy rims which they fixed so I'd assumed that was the problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 05:46:57 PM »
Alloys are famous for leaking. I spent £220 having the alloys on my Volvo restored, to cure the problem.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
The lads who did mine just gave them a quick wire brush and slapped on some gunk. No charge. Well £204 for the tyres. Kumho ES01 much quieter and smoother than the old LingLang ones that were on it, by the way.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:10:50 AM »
Mine got the Full Monty. Bead blaster back to bare metal, any damage repaired, trued up (one had a distinct buckle), then powder coated in a colour of your choice. I just went for original silver. The equipment they have for refitting the tyres is amazing. All soft surfaces that come in contact with the freshly finished wheel. £55 per wheel (I had an immaculate steel runflat spare), hence £220.

We Restore Alloys: Scotland

Tags: