Author Topic: Car Breakdown kit  (Read 2748 times)

DoobieNewbie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT
Car Breakdown kit
« on: September 08, 2018, 01:33:01 AM »
Just a survey here. Has anyone bought those AA/RAC breakdown kit? Of course the Jazz come with the tire repair kit, but on long journeys within the UK I am curious as to what other kit you keep in you Honda Jazz that were not supplied by Honda.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Car Breakdown kit
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
As a man who first cut his DIY mechanic's teeth on a 1952 Wolseley 4/50, before working on numerous cars over the years, including an engine rebuild on a Hillman Imp, replacing bearings on a Vauxhall Viva gearbox and too many to mention clutches, suspension repairs, brake overhauls and such, all I carry is my mobile phone and my RAC membership card. I do have my ScanGauge E fitted to the car which would allow me to check and reset any error codes I may get, but the modern car is not a beast that the normal DIY mechanic can fix at the side of the road.
I do have the OEM spare and tools, but I doubt I would even bother to change a wheel these days. Advice is that you do not try and change a wheel on the hard shoulder, so 50% of my mileage would be out anyway.
I do have my tyre compressor in the boot. So provided the tyre wasn't ripped, and I wasn't on the hard shoulder, I'd probably try and inflate my tyre enough to get me home. I am normally never more than 3 miles from home, on all but motorway trips.

guest6630

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
It's a Honda.....you shouldn't need any tools!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »
If you opt for a spare wheel, that the car didn't have as original fit, don't forget that you may need to get a jack and wheel nut spanner as well.
I carry an additional can of sealant and gas as well as the Honda gunk but I doubt if I would bother to change a wheel these days, it's too damned dangerous. I'm with Auto Aid for that.

Vic.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
Bloody hell, are you lot a bunch of half dead pensioners, can't even tackle a wheel change without calling someone out !!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
I'd change a wheel if I had to, but never on the hard shoulder, and yes, I am a half dead pensioner.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
Bloody hell, are you lot a bunch of half dead pensioners, can't even tackle a wheel change without calling someone out !!

The answer is Yes and your turn will come, maybe sooner than you think.

Vic.

DoobieNewbie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Probably saved me a few quid with the advice you all gave me. I don't have an AA/RAC memebership but my insurance covera national breakdowns. Will that suffice comapred to an AA or RAC membership. But hopefully I won't need it anytime soon.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »

A lot of younger people don't have the know-how to change a wheel, maybe not even the tools - in fact if you can't get an app to do it -  it won't get done...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
I have been an OAP for years and changed a wheel in snow in March this year.

I see there are a bunch of wimps here  8) ??? ::) :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »

Why not, if you've paid for it!

In 30 years, they only things that have stopped me have been a couple of punctures, running out of petrol once  :-[ and a faulty relay. The bad relay caused me to get a mate with a LR to tow the car a few miles home, it was only local, but the damn thing started after I pulled it on the drive!

Only problem I've had with the Jazz was a screw in a front tyre, 100 miles away in North Yorkshire. Tyre gunk would have most likely saved me, but I had the wheelbarrow wheel in the boot - so I put that on to get home.

When you can get full recovery cover (not just roadside assistance and/or tow to nearest garage) with AutoAid for £48, £43 on renewals, for both you and your partner/wife, it seems silly to not have it. Despite that, I still can't help throwing a few tools in, tyre compressor, some wire, some tyraps, and bottle of water if I'm going a good distance. I work on the theory that if I've got it in the boot, I definitely won't need it... sort of an insurance policy.  :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:44:44 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
I work on the theory that if I've got it in the boot, I definitely won't need it...
Jocko's first law: "The magnitude of the disaster is inversely proportional to the contingency plans put in place." I drove back and forward from the west to east coast of Scotland, for 10 winters, with snow chains in the boot, and never got as much as would make a decent snowman!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
Apart from punctures, in the past 30 years of driving (ignore the 23 before that as unrepresentative as bangers), I have had the following breakdowns:

Fiesta : nil in 3 years
Audi A4:  top hose came off at 70mph on M9 at night  after dealer service(and  very very unreliable in 4 years)
Toyota Yaris: nil in 15 years
Honda Jazz : nil in 6 years.

So I carry a Swiss Army knife, pliers, adjustable spanner and two screwdrivers. Plus duck tape  and a fire extinguisher

Tags: