Author Topic: Back Brake & Handbrake on 2007 1.4SE.  (Read 6467 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
Back Brake & Handbrake on 2007 1.4SE.
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
The handbrake on the car is pretty pathetic to be fair, always need to leave it in gear and won't hold on anything but the slightest of gradients. Still put the car in 1st gear anyway.

Managed to pass the MoT earlier this year without any advisory comments as well. The test requirement must be pretty low?

Thought I'd have a look at the back brakes yesterday with a view to adjusting the handbrake.

Got the rear wheels off and on both sides the pads were not moving (AT ALL) in the slides. Caliper slides were nice and fluid and the piston rotated freely enough for me to be happy with them but did a bit of a clean up and re-assembled.

Had to knock out the pads, then file off a small amount of metal to allow them to slip in and have some actual movement in the sliders.

If the rain stops, I'll be back out this afternoon or evening to remove the centre console and get that handbrake cable adjusted.

Our old '02, with the drum brakes, never had any issues at all with the handbrake...hmm.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Back Brake & Handbrake on 2007 1.4SE.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
The handbrake on the car is pretty pathetic to be fair, always need to leave it in gear and won't hold on anything but the slightest of gradients. Still put the car in 1st gear anyway.

Managed to pass the MoT earlier this year without any advisory comments as well. The test requirement must be pretty low?

Thought I'd have a look at the back brakes yesterday with a view to adjusting the handbrake.

Got the rear wheels off and on both sides the pads were not moving (AT ALL) in the slides. Caliper slides were nice and fluid and the piston rotated freely enough for me to be happy with them but did a bit of a clean up and re-assembled.

Had to knock out the pads, then file off a small amount of metal to allow them to slip in and have some actual movement in the sliders.

If the rain stops, I'll be back out this afternoon or evening to remove the centre console and get that handbrake cable adjusted.

Our old '02, with the drum brakes, never had any issues at all with the handbrake...hmm.

The pad 'ears' are always tight in their slots,  I file them when I get new pads to make sure they have a bit of clearance (at least a mm to prevent future corrosion causing binding ).

I have never had a problem with rear drums either,  except to maybe replace the shoes at around 100,000 miles. Never had insides of drums go rusty, never had shoes stick to drums - hmmmm just about covers it,  whos barmy idea was it to fit rear discs to small cars  :-X
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:08:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
The handbrake on the car is pretty pathetic to be fair, always need to leave it in gear and won't hold on anything but the slightest of gradients.
The dealer who sold me my Jazz was an ex Honda mechanic. He warned me about the handbrake on the Jazz and told me to apply and hold the footbrake as I apply the handbrake. I always do that, and I have not come across a hill, however steep, where the handbrake won't hold. Probably what the MOT tester did. I still leave the car in gear every time I park. A habit of a lifetime.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Just had my MOT today and my handbrake passed, no problem. Pass value is 16% and it was 26% (50% is a footbrake pass).

taffy467

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »
Thanks Jocko, Just tried this and now handbrake Works. Was about to take it into the garage. No need.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:22 PM »
bah this bloody car is a money pit, got a screw removed from tyre this morning and was told rear discs/pads are corroded and will probably fail next MOT. took it to a steep hill to test handbrake as described in this thread and the car does indeed roll back  :(

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
My car (1.4 SE cvt) tries to creep forward with the handbrake on so I usually press the footbrake then apply the handbrake usually does the job, but reading this post I think I will check the pads and clean the pad location lugs and sliders in time for winter.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:28:13 AM »
Just got rear discs and pads changed...and the car still rolls back on the steep hill i test it on; it must be the cable that's faulty.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
I have read several adverse comments on here about the inefficiency of the Jazz handbrake. I am on my fifth Jazz all of which have had satisfactory handbrakes that would hold on quite steep slopes. They do require a strong pull though.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
I have only had this one Jazz but the handbrake has been great. The car has done over 105,000 miles and in the last 2 years has required no brake maintenance, other than cleaning and greasing a couple of brake pipes.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »
Do you park in gear on hills?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
I never leave the car without putting it in gear. Even in my garage.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
My car (1.4 SE cvt) tries to creep forward with the handbrake on so I usually press the footbrake then apply the handbrake usually does the job, but reading this post I think I will check the pads and clean the pad location lugs and sliders in time for winter.

Make sure you remove the pad tab anti rattle shims and clean the areas under them scrupulously use a flat scraper and a wire brush to remove the corrosion which builds up. Don't be afraid to scrape, you need to get back to clean metal. Clean and refit the shims, a smear of brake or copper grease, and the pads will slide in easy.

Another thing to check on these rear disc handbrakes with the internal auto adjusters is to make sure that the lever on the caliper returns freely and fully when released. If they don't, this could indicate that the adjuster mechanism or caliper piston seizing, and this in turn can interfere with the auto adjuster, reducing the handbrake's effectiveness.

I park on a steep hill when I go to my parent's and I don't have a problem, but the Jazz handbrake is not the best. As Jocko says, push the brake pedal as you pull on the handbrake and it should hold anywhere. I always leave any manual car in gear when parked, but the Jazz handbrake should hold.

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 10:05:56 PM »
Well I'm going to be having another go at the handbrake again this week, possibly on Friday if the weather is OK.

Curiously, I always have my foot on the brake when parking the car and applying the handbrake - there's not really any other way to do it smoothly, if you are parking on an incline, surely?

I also need to replace the driver side drop link - hell of a clunking when driving on uneven road surfaces and that's probably about 80% of the roads in South East Scotland!!!  :o

Also need to have another look at the boot as I think water is still getting in - the 2002 Jazz was fixed first time!

Great little cars these Honda's :D

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »
Well, guess what I've been doing this week...... ;D

Yup, car went in for the MoT and failed on the back brakes and handbrake!

So I stripped the back brakes down yesterday after the pads took almost a week to arrive via eBay, usually takes two or three days at best in my experience.

MoT said the pads had less than 1.5mm of linings remaining, 3 of the pads were at least 5mm and one might have been 3mm...but I digress.

They were not moving freely so a full strip down and re-greasing everything plus the obligatory filing down of the "ears" on the new set, to get the buggers in!

Once fully assembled, I tried the hand-brake...not much resistance but I decided to have a cup of coffee and pick up the lad after school.

I've been back out this morning and removed the centre console, checked the cables and that everything was moving correctly. All looks A-OK.

Tried the handbrake and virtually non-existent... MoT re-test is Monday afternoon...hmm.

So I fully slackened off the adjusting nut and pulled the handbrake way up. Shock horror the brakes actually came on!

I've been slowly increasing the tension and it seems the handbrake is now working properly but I think I need to add washers to get it exactly where it needs to be.

Is the correct procedure to slacken off the handbrake then pump the brakes multiple time with the foot pedal, then adjust the cable, or, is that just a coincidence?

Some time next week, assuming the brakes pass the re-test I'm going to go a service on the front brakes.

It's weird, because the old "02" plate never needed anything done to the brakes at all really during the 5 or 6 years of ownership.

Tags:

anything