Author Topic: jump starter connection  (Read 5815 times)

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
jump starter connection
« on: March 15, 2024, 01:07:37 PM »
just bought myself a jump starter. The leads are quite short so was wondering where the best place is to connect the -ve. ?

I've circled in the photo where I think , which is the same place I use for my Ctek charger.

btw . if anyone has a Ring RPPL 260 or 360 jump starter they have been recalled due to a potential fire risk,

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: jump starter connection
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 01:45:48 PM »
Just to be safe, never connect the jump leads with the key in the ignition

Some Honda models have been known to wipe the key codes, mainly 2006 to 2009 but best to be safe
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 02:43:41 PM »
The guides I  have read  still recommend  attaching the negative lead to a good earth on the car bodywork/engine  rather than the negative battery terminal  - or, as in your photo, somewhere that is virtually the same thing. .
 I am not an expert but I think there are two reasons for this.   Firstly it bypasses the possibility that the negative battery lead itself is making a poor connection to the bodywork/engine.   But mostly because it minimises the chance that any spark produced when connecting the lead could ignite explosive gases produced by the battery.. This may be why they often recommend connecting to a point some distance from the battery.   But the short leads on these devices dont give much option beyond where you have indicated.

Although a modern  sealed battery is unlikely to produce inflammable gas in explosive concentrations they cant be sure the battery being boosted isnt an older type.   I think the guides err on the side of caution. And therefore so will I   ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

pebbles

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 09:01:39 AM »
sorted ! , using a jump lead to extend the -ve to the recommended jump start lug on the other side of the engine

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 09:17:25 AM »
sorted ! , using a jump lead to extend the -ve to the recommended jump start lug on the other side of the engine
Cables should be as shorter as possible, you must reduce the resistance.
Then, the negative clamp can be attached at the negaive lead (not the battery lead, the metallic part "after" the battery sensor, what enlighted in green is ok) or at every metallic part of the engine (block or head are ok): the positive clamp is ok on the battery lead, you can open or remove the red protection cover.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 10:10:28 AM by jazzaro »

Tags: