Author Topic: Fan cuts in frequently  (Read 4361 times)

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
Fan cuts in frequently
« on: February 18, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
My 2009 Jazz EX I-shift is a great car. I have owned it for a year and done 10,000 miles of the total of 60,000.
The only thing that concerns me is that the cooling fan cuts in quite frequently and always when I stop, even briefly. Is this normal?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Fan cuts in frequently
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »
Are you sure it is not the air con fan?

geoffchats

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
Are you sure it is not the air con fan?
Good point...no, I'm not sure. I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
That, "fault", brought me to ClubJazz. Almost 3 years ago...... https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7107.msg31969#msg31969
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Rhysfjf

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
Whenever you use the blowers make sure the display says 'A/C off' otherwise the A/C fan cuts in and runs on and off at regular intervals. To make sure it's off just hit the A/C button  ;)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:12:13 PM »
I've noticed that when i have my blower fan on and blowing down to feet, if i then turn it to windscreen the bloody A/c comes on, so i have to keep turning it off.

Rhysfjf

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
I've noticed that when i have my blower fan on and blowing down to feet, if i then turn it to windscreen the bloody A/c comes on, so i have to keep turning it off.

Yup! Constantly making sure that the display reads A/C off is the only way.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »
On my Volvo S40 the A/C came on with windscreen demist and you couldn't override it.

geoffchats

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
That, "fault", brought me to ClubJazz. Almost 3 years ago...... https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7107.msg31969#msg31969
Thanks so much...yes, needless to say it's the air con fan. Why I didn't think of that I really don't know!

desthemoaner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
I was caught out by exactly the same "problem" after buying my Jazz.

When I started the engine I could hear the fan going on and off every couple of minutes, and at first I was flummoxed and suspected a fault. At that time I hadn't yet learned to interpret the heating control display properly.

Fortunately I'd had some issues with the secondary fan connection on my B Max, and soon realised that turning the air con off would solve the problem.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 07:32:15 AM »
Got a LED voltmeter plugged into the 12v socket, and have found that if the air con is on, and / or the fan speed is set manually high enough, then the charging output is set to the 14+ volts. If the engine is warm enough and fan speed is low and air con off, then the charging voltage becomes the battery voltage, if driving slow enough.

So everything is connected  :D

guest6489

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
In all vehicles and machines I use with air conditioning I just leave it on all year around and adjust the temperature with the heating or climate control control(s). Doing this keeps the interior dry and keeps the A/C system seals lubricated.

The fan and compressor clutch cycling is it just doing it's thing and the system is protected from high and low system pressures. So just switch it on and forget it.

geoffchats

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »
In all vehicles and machines I use with air conditioning I just leave it on all year around and adjust the temperature with the heating or climate control control(s). Doing this keeps the interior dry and keeps the A/C system seals lubricated.

The fan and compressor clutch cycling is it just doing it's thing and the system is protected from high and low system pressures. So just switch it on and forget it.
That's precisely what I do too which is why I thought that the engine cooling fan was cutting in too often. I'm hanging my head in shame...
I guess it affects fuel consumption a bit but hey, probably not enough to justify the cost of an annual A/C recharge.

guest6489

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »

That's precisely what I do too which is why I thought that the engine cooling fan was cutting in too often. I'm hanging my head in shame...
I guess it affects fuel consumption a bit but hey, probably not enough to justify the cost of an annual A/C recharge.

when the engine on my tractor (6.6 litre) is at operating temperature and idling it uses about 2 litres an hour without the A/C on, when it kicks in the fuel consumption goes up by about 0.4-0.5 litres an hour. As economical as my little car is with the AC on all of the time I'm not worried about how much fuel it uses to keep me cool!

Tags:

anything