Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79600 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
I am surprised re-calibration would not take care to different tread wear on the axle.
Perhaps, once the tyres warm up, there is a significant enough difference with uneven treads to trigger the warning, even after cold calibration.

I am now some miles and weeks and some motorway driving away from my last false alarm. I think it's clear from Mike and Colin have put up that the system is very sensitive. That may be a good, if somewhat annoying, thing because it will highlight small drops in pressure from, say, a slow puncture. My understanding is the systems that use a sensor on each wheel - a genuine TPMS as opposed to Honda's Deflation Warning System - typically don't trigger until a tyre has lost 20% of its pressure.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2019, 11:53:04 PM »
After a two year gap I have just had the fourth tyre pressure alert on my car.

The first two were false warnings.

The third was genuine but I ignored it after the two false ones, and found a flat tyre next morning.

After the fourth one today, I checked the pressures and found one tyre 5psi down, and took it to a tyre place, who found a nail in the shoulder.

So this last warning the system did its job perfectly!

The journey was from the midlands to London and the warning came on as soon as I left the motorway and stopped at some lights. I guess the rotational speed difference was immediately more noticeable to the system at low speed.

Unfortunately The tyre place didn't have any Michelins so now I have three 37,000 miles Michelins, and one brand new Goodyear. Might replace the three Michelins with Goodyears when the time comes to get back to a matched set.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
Unfortunately The tyre place didn't have any Michelins so now I have three 37,000 miles Michelins, and one brand new Goodyear. Might replace the three Michelins with Goodyears when the time comes to get back to a matched set.
37000 sounds good for the Michelins.  Have you swapped front and back to get to that mileage?  I'm at 30,000 with 4 mm left on the front and more on the back. They are certainly lasting longer than the Dunlops I had on the Mk 2, perhaps partly because they are 10mm wider.  Also, my mk2 was manual and I now have cvt, which in the 1.3 engine means gentler acceleration in most circumstances!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »
37000 sounds good for the Michelins.  Have you swapped front and back to get to that mileage?  I'm at 30,000 with 4 mm left on the front and more on the back. They are certainly lasting longer than the Dunlops I had on the Mk 2, perhaps partly because they are 10mm wider.  Also, my mk2 was manual and I now have cvt, which in the 1.3 engine means gentler acceleration in most circumstances!
Yah, I posted a thread at the time about how the Dunlops on my Mk3 were unlikely to make 18k for me. I replaced them with a set of Michelins and they have done 18k and still have nearly 6mm on them.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »
+ 1 for Michelins over the Dunlop SP2030s. My car has done 10,000 miles from new and even the fronts (Michelin ES all round) have over 6mm tread on them. When I bought my first Jazz, this had a tad over 10,000 miles on it and the Dunlops on the front were done after another 2,000 miles (done for me is down to 3mm).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »
done for me is down to 3mm.
Same here. I also won't go into winter with less than 4mm.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
37000 sounds good for the Michelins.  Have you swapped front and back to get to that mileage?  I'm at 30,000 with 4 mm left on the front and more on the back.
No I haven't swapped them around. The 37000 mile Michelin on the front is just over 3mm in the middle and 4mm at the edges. So I will replace this with another Goodyear soon to have matching at the front.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »
Question about the calibration process:

The manual describes the process quite clearly and I have just checked all the pressures and done the "initialisation", and got the "Completed" message.

BUT I am not going to be driving the car for 24 hours. I believe the calibration process includes driving the car for 30 minutes. Is the 30 minutes driving meant to be immediately after the initialisation? or will it do it when I start driving tomorrow?

Think I might redo the initialisation before setting off tomorrow. Don't really want a warning on the M1.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
I think the system says 'completed' when it should say 'initialised' ( ie previous calibration data deleted and waiting for new data).  It certainly has to see a certain amount of data at above a certain speed to complete the new calibration,  but it will do this at its leisure.  I just wish it would flash a 'new calibration completed OK' or 'new calibration failed' message up though,  I think the initial 'completed' message is very misleading.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
Surely, if you get a warning on the M1, and the car feels and handles okay, you would just ignore it. Poor souls like me, who have vehicles without the modern technology, just have to go by feel and sound of the car, coupled to regular checking of tyre pressures (I do mine about once a month as experience tells me the current tyres maintain their pressures well). I visually check the tyres each morning when I bring the car out of the garage (not for wear but for obvious signs of deflation).

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
Surely, if you get a warning on the M1, and the car feels and handles okay, you would just ignore it. Poor souls like me, who have vehicles without the modern technology, just have to go by feel and sound of the car, coupled to regular checking of tyre pressures (I do mine about once a month as experience tells me the current tyres maintain their pressures well). I visually check the tyres each morning when I bring the car out of the garage (not for wear but for obvious signs of deflation).
Yes I would ignore it but don't like driving with alerts on if easily avoided.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
Surely, if you get a warning on the M1, and the car feels and handles okay, you would just ignore it.
Seems like potentially dangerous advice to me; if there is a slow leak then the change of "car feel" may be so slow as to be undetectable to the average driver. Certainly the person asking the question has reported two previous incidents when the system detected problems that he hadn't noticed when driving, that suggests the system is actually more sensitive than the driver:
The third was genuine but I ignored it after the two false ones, and found a flat tyre next morning.

After the fourth one today, I checked the pressures and found one tyre 5psi down, and took it to a tyre place, who found a nail in the shoulder.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2019, 12:38:05 PM »

I broadly agree. Given my car gave 3 completely false alarms during the first few months of my ownership I would assume, in the absence of any handling issues, that any it alarm it now gives will be false. I think I'd tend to pull in to the nearest service station and check just to be sure (I always carry a pump and gauge ) however.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »
I know I am old school but I still glance at all 4 wheels when I park and before driving off,  only takes a few minutes and can often be done as you walk toward the car.  I will do a more rigorous check every so often by pressing my thumb into centre of sidewall at top of tyre and 'feel' the spring of the tyre ( you are only comparing the tyres not absolute pressure). This has served me well over many, many , many years of driving and saved me driving off with a punctured tyre more than once.    Slick gadgets are OK on cars but they should not make drivers lazy to the basic checks ( I still look over my right shoulder as well before changing lanes or joining a motorway even though I have checked the mirrors).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
Seems like potentially dangerous advice to me;
I'm not advocating doing that all the time, but as Mike was expecting a possible "rogue" alarm, to ignore it was probably reasoned advice. Stopping on the hard shoulder, particularly on the M1, was probably a more dangerous situation.

Tags: