Author Topic: Engine Management light  (Read 2412 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Engine Management light
« on: September 23, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
Just noticed It is on. Turned engine off and on, but still it stays lit and solid. The car recently had an MOT and ful service, plus the gearbox bearings were changed. Any ideas on the light at all guys? And where is best place to get it checked out.  Also, can anyone recommend a diagnostic tool that I could use? I see amazon have a few but dont know which one to get. And, where do those things plug into the car?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:19:37 PM by Sharon »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Engine Management light
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »
Just noticed It is on. Turned engine off and on, but still it stays lit and solid. The car recently had an MOT and ful service, plus the gearbox bearings were changed. Any ideas on the light at all guys? And where is best place to get it checked out.  Also, can anyone recommend a diagnostic tool that I could use? I see amazon have a few but dont know which one to get. And, where do those things plug into the car?

search OBD on forum,  if you are not confident of using OBD get local garage to have a look,  the people who did gearbox may have disturbed or unplugged something that is causing the light to come on - the code will give you a good start.

just an example of an OBD thread,  plenty more.....................

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10076.msg59203#msg59203
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
Sharon. Your local garage should be able to check it for you.
I bought one of these from eBay
It plugs in to a multi plug just to the left hand side of the steering column, just below shelf and beside centre console.
Sometimes a code will come up, you reset it, and it never comes back. Other times, if there is a problem, they can keep returning. As culzean says, something may have been disturbed and the code the OBD reader generates should show where the problem lies.

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
Thanks guys. I will order an ODB from Amazon, meanwhile, I'm wondering if I could disconnect the battery in order to reset the warning light? (Obvioulsy, if it comes on again after a while, I would go to a garage).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
Disconnecting the battery doesn't reset it, but it will go out after a while if the fault condition was only temporary - it make take a few days.

So long as the car is driving normally, it will be okay until you can get the code read and reset.

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:50:52 PM »
Hi guys, ok, bought that maxiscan obd unit from amazon, and have a code. The code is P0507. I see that refers to 'Idle control system = RPM high'. So, bearing in mind that the car was in garage for gearbox bearings change recently, would this point to something that was probably instigated by the garage? And if so, should I expect it to be corrected for free? Also, I've now deleted the light, see if it comes back. Thanks for all your help btw.  ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
It is usually caused by a vacuum leak. Very difficult to lay at the garage's door. If the light has been reset and it doesn't return it could just have been a glitch.

Tags: