Author Topic: New owners.  (Read 7530 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: New owners.
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »
The city bypass is a nightmare. I will be on it tomorrow afternoon. Evening rush hour starts about 3pm. Hopefully I will be on the road home before then. KY postcode area great, except at school start and finish times!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
I must have picked up on your statement,

"At normal motorway speeds the engine has to do a lot of work and that means it has to consume a lot of fuel."

Which I do not agree with.
Yes, I suppose that is a bit misleading. Although true it should be qualified with respect to the lower amount of fuel needed at below motorway speeds and the wasteful nature of urban driving (inefficient RPMs and frequent acceleration).
I have not done a long journey yet but will be doing an 800 mile round trip in a couple of weeks that will give an indication of motorway consumption.
If you can handle a steady 60mph it will probably do what mine does and end up in the high 60s. If you go with the flow at 70/80 it'll do worse.

Aside from the reduced cost the other reason I prefer lane one these days is because it's more calming. I get out of the car after a couple of hours feeling no different to when I got in. I also don't get wound up by 50mph roadworks. In fact amusingly I tend to move out to lane 3 through them since I switch to using my GPS to monitor my speed and usually find that most people are only doing 45mph plus in lanes one and two you can get temporary bunching as people get scared by the barriers :)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
On local, usually quiet when I use them motorways, I run at 60 or 70 depending on how I feel. Out of my area on a long journey I run at 70 or what the traffic will allow if it is busy. Being retired I don't drive for more than two hours at a time or four hours in a day. This makes Edinburgh to the London area a two day journey each way although I used to do it in one day when I was younger. Fuel consumption is only of passing interest to me because of my motoring anorak tendencies and as an indicator that the engine is operating correctly, brakes not binding etc.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:15:42 PM by Skyrider »

guest7675

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »
On local, usually quiet when I use them motorways, I run at 60 or 70 depending on how I feel. Out of my area on a long journey I run at 70 or what the traffic will allow if it is busy. Being retired I don't drive for more than two hours at a time or four hours in a day. This makes Edinburgh to the London area a two day journey each way although I used to do it in one day when I was younger. Fuel consumption is only of passing interest to me because of my motoring anorak tendencies and as an indicator that the engine is operating correctly, brakes not binding etc.

Hi sky have you done many miles in your jazz sport yet have you put it in s mode much or just drive.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »

Hi sky have you done many miles in your jazz sport yet have you put it in s mode much or just drive.

About 2,500 miles, I have only used sport mode briefly on a couple of occasions. Motorway on slip and A road overtaking.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 11:27:10 PM »
It saddens me to read the comments of some of the new owners of 2018 models. I get the impression, from reading the various threads, that there is more than a modicum of disappointment being experienced by many of the purchasers. Maybe this the norm when owners update from an earlier version of the car. Instead of revelling in the better features, and enjoying the new car, owners only see the things that are not as good as the old car. Perhaps it is an argument for always changing models/marques when you change vehicles.
i

Having bought one of these new in January (1.3 S), I've got to say I love it, compared to my mk1 which I run alongside it (and also appreciate), it's bigger, faster, better equipped, better on fuel, better technology, only problem was er' indoors complained it was underpowered (after a hyundai i30 1.6 turbodiesel). Once I told her to ignore the dashboard economy lights telling her to move up gears and don't be scared to rev it to get the power, she then began to enjoy driving it, I've found you have to be precise with being in the right gear at the right revs or it can be sluggish, I enjoy getting that part of driving it right (sometimes!), others might find it annoying, I'd guess this is what people are disappointed with about the mk3, on the other hand that's what makes the fuel economy so good, can't have everything. If it proves to be as reliable as my mk1 has been over the last 12 years, I'll be more than happy.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »
I agree, some people don't like change, even if it is an improvement. I don't understand why some people buy a car because of the name on the car. I think a purchase as important as a car requires research and an extensive test drive before a decision is made. The only thing I did not like about the 1.3 was the Atkinson cycle but that can be driven around. I put my money where my mouth is an solved the bit I did not like by buying a 1.5. Having the facelift improvements was a bonus!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
I agree, some people don't like change, even if it is an improvement. I don't understand why some people buy a car because of the name on the car. I think a purchase as important as a car requires research and an extensive test drive before a decision is made. The only thing I did not like about the 1.3 was the Atkinson cycle but that can be driven around. I put my money where my mouth is an solved the bit I did not like by buying a 1.5. Having the facelift improvements was a bonus!
Totally agree.  If they put the 1.5 in an EX before my next change is due (March 2019), then that is the route that I will be taking.  Otherwise it will be an HR-V, subject to test drive and afordability.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
I made the same point about the ex body earlier in the thread.
I like the'toys' in the ex and would have changed by now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

guest7675

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »

Sky whats the 7th mode like on cruising at 70mph will it take hills without having to change down or slowdown i mean as in that mode it must save on the fuel.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »

Sky whats the 7th mode like on cruising at 70mph will it take hills without having to change down or slowdown i mean as in that mode it must save on the fuel.

No idea, I am in Drive 99% of the time. The CVT will be in its highest ratio when cruising at any speed on a level road, it will reduce its ratio as required on an up grade. It really defeats the object of a CVT to use manual ratio selection except in specific (rare) circumstances. It does a better job than  a mere human so it is best to let it get on with it. Using cruise control the engine revs and CVT both vary to maintain the selected speed depending on the gradient.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:53:14 AM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »
Totally agree.  If they put the 1.5 in an EX before my next change is due (March 2019), then that is the route that I will be taking.  Otherwise it will be an HR-V, subject to test drive and afordability.
If they raised the spec of the 1.5 - made the engine an option with an EX - I'd consider it. Best of all though would be the hybrid version that Malaysia has because that has the 1.5l engine.

As regards 7th gear whilst I don't know about the Mk3 on the Mk1 7th wasn't quite as long a ratio. That makes sense if you think about it. You don't want the highest discrete gear to include ratios in its nominal range that are barely useable. That compromises the whole box and selection of gearing. But with a CVT that's a none issue. As long as the physical size and layout of a CVT allows a given ratio you might as well do so until you get to ratios that are truly useless.

The CVT is also more readily and easily capable of adjusting. A manual driver could get fed up having to change from 7th down to 6th because of an incline on a motorway or a hill on a main road. But again that's not a consideration for a CVT because the driver doesn't care how often it adjusts the ratio and hopefully isn't even aware of it doing it.

So I would expect the longest gear ratios to only be available on the CVT equipped models.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:20:06 AM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
I am deeply sceptical when it comes to hybrid cars. Who are they meant to benefit, the manufacturer to meet their C02 targets to avoid taxation or the user? They may be of benefit to the user in heavy traffic but I rarely drive in those conditions. On a motorway or free flowing A road the batteries, motors etc are just extra weight to carry. There is no free lunch or miles to be had. I would guess that electricity used as road fuel will be taxed somehow, the government can't afford not to if electricity ever becomes a viable fuel. I believe that battery power is a stopgap until hydrogen fuel cells become cost effective.

In the meantime OPEC are upping oil production by 1,000,000 barrels a day, we might even see a price drop at the pumps eventually. :-)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:02:08 PM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
I am deeply sceptical when it comes to hybrid cars. Who are the meant to benefit, the manufacturer to meet their C02 targets to avoid taxation of the user? They may be of benefit to the user in heavy traffic but I rarely drive in those conditions.
I have my doubts as well. I view hybrid technology as a way to reclaim lost energy and as an efficient driver I don't lose much in the first place. For instance I doubt I'll generate much power through the brakes since I hardly ever use them. However I will reclaim some through engine braking. From talking to someone I know who drives in a similar way that should reduce fuel costs quite significantly. I think she said she's averaging over 60mpg on a commute similar to mine (10 miles rural main road, 2 miles urban).

But I'm not really that bothered about the environmental side of things. I'd prefer to minimise my impact but I also take the long term view which is that all technology improvements are good because they all have the potential to trigger someone to come up with something even better. Everything humans invent becomes a tool in our arsenal in the great 'battle against the universe'. If some of those have negative effects then so be it - you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. I also like technology if it works well and looks good and so far most of the hybrid dashboards that Honda has produced have looked good. And the technology does seem to work well.

Will it save me money? Doubtful. But then if I cared about money the easy way to save it is not to throw it away on a new car in the first place. Will it reduce my environmental impact during my ownership of it? Maybe. About the only thing I'm pretty sure it will do is somewhat reduce the amount of pollution my driving creates.
On a motorway or free flowing A road the batteries, motors etc are just extra weight to carry.
Which as you ought to realise is irrelevant. You, yourself, pointed out that it's acceleration that requires the most work from the engine. On motorways and in free flowing traffic there is little acceleration and thus the weight of the car is largely unimportant.

There is no free lunch or miles to be had. I would guess that electricity used as road fuel will be taxed somehow, the government can't afford not to if electricity ever becomes a viable fuel. I believe that battery power is a stopgap until hydrogen fuel cells become cost effective.
Of course, but there's no avoiding death and taxes so it's hardly an argument against the idea. As for hydrogen - no thanks. At least, not yet. Hydrogen is not a fuel. It's an energy transport medium. That's because on Earth you don't find it lying around. You have to make it and most of those methods require quite a lot of energy. There are I believe a couple of chemical ways of producing it but I don't think they've been perfected yet.

But really this is about a few things for me:
* The dashboards look 'cool'.
* The technology is effective and works well.
* It will slightly, in at least one way, reduce the damage I do when I drive.
* It's clear that electric power is going to take over in cars over the next decade. I'm optimistic that the next Hybrid Honda sell in the UK will have a more reasonable price. It has to because it'll be their mainstream offering so they can't stick a premium on it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:18:31 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
Here is one hybrid I would have, at the drop of a hat. Love the fact that for my Monday to Friday motoring the engine would never need to start.

Tags:

anything