Author Topic: Reduced engine performance Jazz 1.4 i.vtec ES 2012 37k  (Read 6210 times)

guest7282

Re: Reduced engine performance Jazz 1.4 i.vtec ES 2012 37k
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »
Hi Spanners. I don't know best and I appreciate your help for which I  thank you.

PaddingtonBore

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 ES 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »
Hi ldd. You mentioned the engine cooling fan. The moment you hear the fan coming on, try hitting the Off switch for the ventilation/heater. Does the engine fan sound (maybe aircon) cut out immediately too?
I have just bought a 2012 ES and noticed the engine fan or air-conditioning coming on in frequent short bursts, even in cold weather and with the (auto) air-conditioning off.
I eventually tried the ventilation on/off switch. Each time I switch the heater/ventilation fan back on, even at its slowest, the short bursts of "engine" fan resume. It appears to be linked to the air-conditioning. Dealer's turn next, unless anyone recognises this?
Since I've only had the car a couple of weeks I can't tell if the performance is down a fraction, but the engine does run smoothly. Using the air-conditioning usually leads to small power loss, it might explain your sensation and a drop in fuel consumption.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »
With the aircon on the condensor (in front of the radiator) cooling fan cycles on and off roughly every 7 to 10 seconds, this coincides with the aircon compressor cutting in to raise the aircon gas pressure.
If you turn the cabin ventilation fan to 'off' the aircon will shut down.
In my experience having the aircon on has little effect on performance or fuel consumption.

Vic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:53:48 PM by VicW »

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
Might be an idea to put it in a high gear at low rpm and put your foot down and see if there's any increase in rpm
Like when checking out the clutches on the ictdis

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:21 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for your help so far. My latest news is :-

Paddington Bore ..  I am wrong about it running hot and when driven with the Air Con Off display the fan does not come on every few seconds. With the heater on and not displaying any A/C sign it does come on so to stop this make sure it is showing the A/C OFF on the display. So yours should works like mine. Try it.

VicW.....Thanks and what you say is bang on. I have only had the car for 5+ years and just worked out you have to make sure that the display must show A/C OFF as all other settings seem to have the cooling fans kicking on and off all the time. Thanks again.

harry22673.....I have done this and the car pulls away in harmony with the revs. I have also tested the clutch and it does not slip.

ldd724.....    My latest report is I have had OBD2 check and nothing is showing up. I am going to wait for weather to improve and treat the engine to a good dose of redex and drive it like someone normal and not the tight pensioner that I am. If no improvement then I will be going for a full diagnostics test. I will report back with the results.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »
MAF sensor or blocked air filter would be where I'd start, the second is easy to check and remedy.
Winter temperatures tend to have an adverse effect on fuel consumption anyway, but not to that extent.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 06:24:58 PM »
My fuel consumption is terrible just now, but not 25% terrible.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
Filled tank this morning. Down to 49 mpg. Worst figure since January.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
Mine's down from the normally displayed 56 mpg to 52 mpg and that's just using the onscreen display so real world will certainly be worse. Cold weather running. On the plus side, starts however deep under the snow it is, took me 230 miles on Monday with no issue. I half half worn michelin ES all round, maybe it's the lightness of the car on the front but pulling away uphill in the snow / ice is not good. have to reverse to a dry bit then take a run from there :)
Looks like the snow is mostly over though i did sit on my bum this morning putting the wheelie bin out when I lost my footing on some wet ice. need better treads on shoes as well :)

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »
Hi Defender.. Thanks for your post.  Air filter 2000mls old  still very clean. MAF.  May clean if nothing gets better.

Hi Jocko ..    Thanks. That MPG is more or less what mine had been doing before this sudden drop.

My up to date position is 37 MPG.... ECO light goes out on the slight touch of pedal.

Just dosed half a tank of petrol with REDEX Petrol system cleaner.

I will run this down and fill with top quality fuel and report back after a few days driving.

guest7282

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Hi All. I am now in a position to give you an update on my problem.
OBD2 check clear.... Emissions checked and passed with good readings.
I dosed tank with Redex petrol system cleaner and it has improved performance/mpg.
With the improved weather 10 degrees C ....not sub zero  I did my latest check today.

Started motor and it ticked over at 1500 rpm pulled forward a few yards and it went up to 2000rpm before returning
to 1500rpm in about 5secs. Drove 1/2 mile and was still 1500rpm when I stopped. After about a mile it settled down to 800rpm. I then did  80 miles of motorway  driving at between 55 and 70 ish MPH. After 3 hours I did the return journey and once again tick over when stopped was 1500rpm for first mile. Prior to the problem I would have got 50mpg+ actual, not instrument reading. The actual for todays run was 42mpg. Problem still there.

Tags:

anything