Author Topic: 2012 EX - best tyres?  (Read 9961 times)

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
Re: 2012 EX - best tyres?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
I tend to agree. I've been in a big circle and ended up back with replacing like for like.

guest4871

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »
It is worth checking the tread wear rating and the traction rating when looking at tyres. 

You get a good indication of value for money and durability.

These are stamped on most tyres as is the manufactured date as part of the DOT code.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advices/utqg

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 04:34:54 PM »
Harder compound will wear longer but generally have less grip, I used to buy Michelin even though I knew they were not the grippiest tyre around because I did large annual mileage.  I have found the Avons to be a lot grippier ( I know the places where the Michelins used to struggle) just as quiet and have much better steering response.  I am happy that they may not last as many miles as Michelin (but only time will tell) because I only cover about 5 to 6k a year now and don't want to discard tyres with wear left because they are cracking through age or just plain out of date after  six years or so.

One thing that counted was Avon are made in UK, and makers like Goodyear and Michelin have been closing down their UK plants for years (nothing to do with brexit either).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:39:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »
Harder compound will wear longer but generally have less grip, I used to buy Michelin even though I knew they were not the grippiest tyre around because I did large annual mileage.  I have found the Avons to be a lot grippier ( I know the places where the Michelins used to struggle) just as quiet and have much better steering response.  I am happy that they may not last as many miles as Michelin (but only time will tell) because I only cover about 5 to 6k a year now and don't want to discard tyres with wear left because they are cracking through age or just plain out of date after  six years or so.

One thing that counted was Avon are made in UK, and makers like Goodyear and Michelin have been closing down their UK plants for years (nothing to do with brexit either).
Before the summer wheels go on again in 1 or 2 months i have to buy new summer tyres for the rear. The front tyres are replaced in april 2016 and are Michelin ES. I am always told that it is best to keep all tyres the same brand and type, but with our annual mileage almost the same as yours and being it rear tyres, the Avons seems a nice alternative for the more expensive Michelins. Is two brand tyres advisable or do i buy better the same Michelins? And when it is possible, which type Avons do i look for (175/65R15) ?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »

Before the summer wheels go on again in 1 or 2 months i have to buy new summer tyres for the rear. The front tyres are replaced in april 2016 and are Michelin ES. I am always told that it is best to keep all tyres the same brand and type, but with our annual mileage almost the same as yours and being it rear tyres, the Avons seems a nice alternative for the more expensive Michelins. Is two brand tyres advisable or do i buy better the same Michelins? And when it is possible, which type Avons do i look for (175/65R15) ?

Avon don't make 185/55R16 tyre (not many makers do because it is really an odd size) - one of the reasons I will be getting new 15" alloy rims from mytyres to replace 16" on my wifes GE is there is much more choice and much lower price for tyres in 175/65R15 - and also the car rides better on 15" higher profile tyres.

For 15" wheel you will need ZT5

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/zt5

I guess you have to change brands sometime and not many replace all four tyres at once, I guess unless you drive like a maniac nothing wrong with two brands - especially when the grippiest tyres will be on the rear until you replace the fronts.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
For 15" wheel you will need ZT5

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/zt5

I guess you have to change brands sometime and not many replace all four tyres at once, I guess unless you drive like a maniac nothing wrong with two brands - especially when the grippiest tyres will be on the rear until you replace the fronts.
Thanks! At least one month to decide and compare with the others. ;)

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
my jazz came with dunlops, but needed replacing at only 8,000 miles on the front!!  so i priced them up, and due to the odd size the cheapest i could get dunlops for was £91 each!!  so i bought 2 cheap tyres called three a, and got them both for £83 fitted!!  theyre quiet and grip well, and are good enough  for a 100bhp runaround... :) :)

guest7504

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
Not on a Jazz but I've been using Michelins for 4 years.  It came with Energy Savers which lasted 30k but I wasn't happy with wet grip (it rains a lot here in NI). Changed to Cross Climate and immediately noticed much better wet grip (did I mention we get a lot of rain in NI?) 10k further on and it seems they are wearing a bit faster but ought to last at least another 10k, except I won't know - taking it in for my new Jazz tomorrow :D

desthemoaner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »
Coming to this thread a little late, but hey ho.

I never bought anything but Michelin ES for my two previous vehicles. On the 07 Focus that I had for seven years they were 205s, so pretty expensive, but as said above being the only part of the tyre touching the road, you don't skimp.

On my B Max I went for the 185/16s, again in the ES, which cost about £86 from a local fitter, and my current Jazz ES has had two 175/15 Energy Savers to replace both rear tyres, which in previous very low mileage ownership had perished from lack of use. It'll get two more for the front when pocket allows because I always believe in starting afresh tyre-wise after buying a new used car.

I'm considering Avons for the front to save a few quid, but will probably stick with what I know.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
my jazz came with dunlops, but needed replacing at only 8,000 miles on the front!! 

That is quick wear what motoring are you doing, my brand new Jazz with 16" wheels came with Dunlops and it still had the originals on with approx. 3mm on the fronts and 5mm on the rears when I traded it in with 14k on the clock.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
I'm considering Avons for the front to save a few quid, but will probably stick with what I know.

I fitted Avons to the Civic last year and saved over £25 a tyre over Michelin ES.

Will be fitting Avons to her indoors GE Si this spring when I get 15" alloys to replace the silly 16" OEM)- again will almost save enough to pay for alloys (about £55 from mytyres.com) - her alloys (diamond cut) are looking a bit tatty and don't fancy paying over £100 a wheel to get them refurbished).

Have found Avons to generally have better grip than Michelin ES and they steer much better and IMHO are just as quiet - whats not to like.  If I was still doing big annual mileage I may have stuck with Michelin but do about 5K a year these days - can't comment on longevity of Avons but I want them to wear out rather than perish out. ( I have winter Nokians on steel wheels so for 5 months of the year the Avons are in garage anyway).

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »

I had Avons several years ago on a Ford, personally I was not impressed either with the wear or handling in the wet.

On my previous Civic I had Uniroyal Rainexpert tyres all round, made by Continental but a reasonably priced mid range tyre, I really liked them good wear and handling especially in the wet and also quiet, I shall go for them again when this Civic needs new rubber.

desthemoaner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »
Conflicting views on the Avon tyre, then.

I think the Avons are about 50 quid for a 175/15 as compared to £76 for the Michelin, so a saving of yes, about 25 quid a tyre, which is not insignificant.

I suppose I could put the Avons on the front and if I do notice any negative effect, switch them to the back with the Michelins on the front.

I never push my cars hard, so I probably wouldn't notice anyhow unless there was a marked deterioration in handling at normal road speeds and the sort of casual cornering that would never dislodge my flat cap.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »
I used Michelin ES for many years,  I knew they were not the grippiest of tyres but good wear,  they often felt 'squirmy' and lost a bit of directional stability 'when making good progress'.  The very, very supple sidewall on the Michelins could account for the squirmy feel (and maybe make it easier to damage on potholes),  the sidewall on the Avons is firmer and has a rib to protect alloys from kerbing, it will protect the whole wheel unless your wheel is convex and the hub bit protrudes out further than the rim.

I noticed the difference with Avon straight away,  the ZV7 tyre has only been on sale less than 2 years and is a new design and material.  Better grip than Michelin and very good directional stability and not at all 'squirmy'.   Bear in mind when reading European tyre tests that they always seen to put European brands first (especially Continental,  which I took off one of my motorbikes because they were crap,  and don't always get good reviews from buyers).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:18:56 AM by culzean »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
Have just taken winter Nokians off and put shiny alloys back on - when I checked the pressure on Avon ZV7 summer tyres they were all spot on after 6 months in garage, I did not need to add any air - that is pretty impressive.

Tags:

anything