Author Topic: ****WARNING***  (Read 2352 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
****WARNING***
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Don't be tempted to register with the reliability website I posted, reliabilityindex.com. I did, and I have been inundated with US Spam, every day since.  >:(

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: ****WARNING***
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
Oh no, poor Jocko!

guest5079

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »
Is it possible to 'wind' your computer back to a few days prior to your mishap. I have found that I have been  able to remove troublesome jerks this way.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Is it possible to 'wind' your computer back to a few days prior to your mishap. I have found that I have been  able to remove troublesome jerks this way.
This won't work.  The damage was done when you registered your email address on the site.  You can't undo that.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »
This won't work.  The damage was done when you registered your email address on the site.  You can't undo that.
As I am well aware.  :(
Just don't want anyone else registering.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:53:18 PM »
With any unsolicited bulk email (spam) the sender is legally bound to give you the option of unsubscribing from future emails.  But this site will have sold your details on to many of them I have no doubt.

In practice whether this will work is another matter.  Fortunately, being in the business, I have my own email server and anti-spam appliance.  That won't help you though.

Extortion through technology is a whole industry now.  I absolutely deplore it and have seen so many people caught by it.  I would even go as far as saying it upsets be more than brake lights in traffic queues!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:55:28 PM by ColinS »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »

Extortion through technology is a whole industry now.  I absolutely deplore it and have seen so many people caught by it.  I would even go as far as saying it upsets be more than brake lights in traffic queues!

:P :P

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
Don't be tempted to register with the reliability website I posted, reliabilityindex.com. I did, and I have been inundated with US Spam, every day since.  >:(

So the website is not very reliable ?  bad luck really,  it is easy to get caught out - I have Norton internet security and it puts green flags on websites with 'proper certificates' (whatever that means) and warns against others,  will check the website see if its green or not,  but they are not getting my email. 

Just checked site and it got a green OK from Norton - but what do they know ?

who can you report dodgy websites like that to ?  Google ?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:27:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:31 PM »
The green tick it probably just checking that the security certificate is valid.  It really is not difficult to get a secure certificate on your website.  And I expect if you read the small print, they ask for permission to use your details for marketing purposes.

Unfortunately most people just tick the "I agree" box without reading it.  So easy to do and normally the default option.  They are most likely a legitimate site making money to fund themselves by selling on customer data.  And no I don't condone the practice.

The number of times I have this conversation with my customers.  The process can't be stopped, otherwise you would not be able to sign up for anything.  A far bigger issue is being tricked into downloading and installing programs which turn out to be Viruses or Trojans.

Stay safe!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:33:49 AM »
I just delete the spam. I was told asking to be unsubscribed just tells them they have a valid email address. I am going to set up another email address and use it for signing up to this sort of site, in future. That way I can just ignore it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
I just delete the spam. I was told asking to be unsubscribed just tells them they have a valid email address. I am going to set up another email address and use it for signing up to this sort of site, in future. That way I can just ignore it.
It's a good idea, I have an email address to use for such purposes.

Also, google for 'disposable email address', these can also be very useful.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
It's a good idea, I have an email address to use for such purposes.
+1
I have a few email accounts for that purpose for years.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »
Some sites (including this one) don't allow sign-ups using disposable email addresses due their usage for spam accounts.

Tags: