Author Topic: Exhaust replacement  (Read 3521 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Exhaust replacement
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »
My exhaust has been blowing for a couple of days and literally broke free at the weld between the pipe to the manifold and the front of the middle box. Happened on the dual carriageway at @ 60MPH so the exhaust pressure alone was sufficient to finish the job. Odd so it might have been subject to more movement/stress than ideal.  Don't know if it was the original but I now have to get it fixed ASAP.  I have several quotes and Timax seems to be the most widely used. Are there any particular brands that folk here would recommend?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Exhaust replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:53 AM »
My exhaust has been blowing for a couple of days and literally broke free at the weld between the pipe to the manifold and the front of the middle box. Happened on the dual carriageway at @ 60MPH so the exhaust pressure alone was sufficient to finish the job. Odd so it might have been subject to more movement/stress than ideal.  Don't know if it was the original but I now have to get it fixed ASAP.  I have several quotes and Timax seems to be the most widely used. Are there any particular brands that folk here would recommend?

Bosal used to be a good brand and still available, but UK factory went into administration in 2013 - they were a well made exhaust and probably were their own enemy because they lasted a long time whereas most normal aftermarket exhausts are made from old bean tins and last a couple of years, so always a good flow of replacements required.  If you are going to keep the car stainless exhausts are available and probably cost effective.  I can remember replacement exhausts normally expiring just after the warranty (18 / 24 months ) only ever managed to get one replaced under warranty.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
A garage acquaintance recommended I use Bosal or Walker exhausts.

http://www.bosal.com/en/catalog/exhausts
http://www.walkercatalogue.eu/DefaultUK.aspx

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
And check they don't bolt front and back rigidly together, must have spring bolts & fibre washer to prevent early failure.
--
TG

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
I don't think there's much to choose between the aftermarket exhausts these days. Klarius (what used to be Timax) are usually the cheapest.

As above though, ask them to use new fitting kits, they give the exhaust the flexibility in the joints. Some garages will just order the pipes and bolt the flanges together with whatever they can muster out of the bits box.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:04:07 PM »
Well team, this is how it panned out. Considered the option of welding the pipe to the box (care of the thread on exhausts) so I called in at a local 'side street' mechanic this morning. He felt it was too corroded at the business end to do a decent job. It was a Honda pipe so I think it must have been the original. Almost 65,000 on the clock so a poor performance really. My hunch is that the previous owners only used it for shopping and local trips @ 5,000 per annum. As always in these cases, it seems it rusted out rather than wore out. Too much sitting around. Pity about the crack. The box section appeared to be rock solid on the outside. Option two. Replace the part. My operative matched my best quote with a Klarius (same group as Timax apparently) including a three year warranty. Checked up about Bosal which are well regarded in the trade but it seems the problem is getting hold of them at the right price and volume etc. Apparently they have now retreated back to Belgium of all places. I thought the Sprouts only did chocolate and rules. I considered stainless steel but given the age and 'gofer' status of the car I decided to go short term. Tony did a nice job. No hammers allowed on my insistence and punishable by inverted suspension from the ramp at max height. I don't think he would have resorted to a Kwik Fitter Fit anyway. Seemed far too sensible. Heat treated it, removed the rusty bits and bobs handled the Cat with kid gloves and refitted with a proper kit and no nasty cement etc. So now back to, well almost silence but for the bearings which were temporarily drowned out by the cacophony. Scared the hell out of the neighbours. Sounded more like a Chieftain Tank starting up. Amazing amount of noise for such a dinky little engine. Thanks all for the feedback etc. Really helpful as always.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:16:40 PM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
Amazing amount of noise for such a dinky little engine.
When mine snapped, at the same place, I was crossing the Forth Road Bridge (no hard shoulder). It wasn't so much the noise but the vibration. I thought I had blown a tyre. By the time I reached a hard shoulder the noise was the worrying thing. Once I confirmed the problem I had a 12 mile journey home, at a strident 30 mph.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:26:06 AM »
Amazing amount of noise for such a dinky little engine.
When mine snapped, at the same place, I was crossing the Forth Road Bridge (no hard shoulder). It wasn't so much the noise but the vibration. I thought I had blown a tyre. By the time I reached a hard shoulder the noise was the worrying thing. Once I confirmed the problem I had a 12 mile journey home, at a strident 30 mph.

I know exactly what you mean. Bridges seem to amplify sound. Bet that woke you up! For an instance, I thought I had a major malfunction on my hands. It's a long time since I experienced a blowing exhaust.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:27:45 AM by MartinJG »

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
They always seem to go at a most inconvenient place don't they. I remember mine parting company at the entrance to Dartford Tunnel once (in a Corsair) coming back from holiday with all the kids on a Saturday evening. Tunnels make it sound even louder LOL!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
Luckily, when my back box snapped off last month, I was turning in the street outside my flat. 35 yards from my garage (where I removed the box that was ramming into the tarmac) and less than a quarter mile from Kwik Fit.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »
My operative matched my best quote with a Klarius (same group as Timax apparently) including a three year warranty.

The Timax name went some time ago, everything is stamped 'Klarius' now.

To be fair, 13 years out of a petrol exhaust isn't bad, original or otherwise!

guest7024

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »
Are the bolts on center box fixed  not the ones to back box ones to front I done back now center gone

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 02:25:29 PM »

guest7024

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
Which way round gasket fit as both  flanges same

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 05:46:49 PM »
Does the ring have a taper? If so, I would say wider end towards the front of the car, looking at the flange on the back box.

Tags: