Author Topic: Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)  (Read 16087 times)

guest7027

Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
Car passed MOT yesterday with just 1 advisory;

Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)

I'm assuming it just requires adjustment? I asked Honda but the chap on the phone didn't seem to know so didn't get much of an answer.

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
Eight clicks seems to be the ideal. Much more than that and the cable may have a bit too much slack in it. How I deal with advisories is I tell my mechanic, he says "don't worry about it", so I don't worry about it!

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi Jocko, I thought this as I think I recall reading in the manual somewhere or the workshop manual that 9 clicks was the max so I tested mine both before and after MOT and the most clicks I can muster up is 8 which seems within tolerance so I was unsure if the advisory was linked to this or something else?

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
I agree with Jocko.

This is in relation to another handbrake issue. 8 Clicks holds my car on a steepish hill with two adults and two small children. So I would do as anyone on such a minor advisory.....ignore it:)

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
Thanks guys - just thought it would be intersting to know what it was that's all  :)

I googled around but couldnt find anything other than it requiring adjustment but not sure what exactly could need adjusting when it's already within tolerance.

It's back in for service next week anyway so will try and ask someone about it then to try shed some light on it.

Thanks again.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:14 PM »
If you are sure that it won't be slightly on for the first two clicks you could tension it if you wished.  The adjustment is under the centre console behind the handbrake, mind you new (thicker) rear pads would also reduce the travel.
--
TG

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
(If you are sure that it won't be slightly on for the first two clicks you could tension it if you wished.  The adjustment is under the centre console behind the handbrake, mind you new (thicker) rear pads would also reduce the travel).

I thought the self adjusting mechanism compensated for this, the caliper piston twisting as it comes out so the slack is taken up by the thread (a simplistic view) which is why you have to wind the piston back in rather than a straight push as the front calipers?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
If you are sure that it won't be slightly on for the first two clicks you could tension it if you wished.  The adjustment is under the centre console behind the handbrake, mind you new (thicker) rear pads would also reduce the travel.
--
TG

Good advice,  I would check rear pad thickness before adjusting and decide whether to fit new ones,  mind you I thought handbrake at pad end was self-adjusting because I never notice more clicks on my handbrake as pads wear,  and you have to screw the piston back in with a special tool when you fit new rear pads.  I would guess cable stretch / wear in linkages accounts for most of the increased handbrake lever movements

In my experience the self-adjusting ratchet on rear drums sometimes did not work and a couple of time I had to completely slacken cable and pump the brakes to ratchet it up,  and you could hear clicking from rear brakes,  handbrake normally worked better after that - but this would not work on discs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:21:44 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »
When I bought the car 7 months ago Honda told me they had just fitted new discs and pads all around... Could this be the root cause of the issue? new pads fitted but handbrake not re-adjusted?

Is the click test not relevant though? Like I say it does 8 clicks - the 8th click is really hard to apply.

I don't think the handbrake starts to hold though until its 4th click... so maybe this is what they mean?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
You are worrying about nothing. This is the MOT manual, verbatim:
6. When the brake is fully applied:
a. knock the top and each side of the lever and check that the lever stays in the on position
b. check that the lever is not at the end of its working travel and that there is no fouling of adjacent parts
c. check that the lever is not impeded in its travel.
At 8 clicks (just), the lever is nowhere near the end of its travel. The recommended adjustment is 7 to 10 clicks, so your's is well within spec.
The mechanic, in his infinite wisdom, thinks 8 clicks is near the end of its travel. That is his opinion. In his opinion it is not unsafe or he would have failed the car. My handbrake, in 14 months, has never budged from where it was so why should yours (unless you are into drifting and handbrake turns). Don't worry about it. Enjoy your car for what it is

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
Manual for the Fit GE8 reckons 6 - 8 clicks, so at 8 clicks I suppose that may be why he said it had little reserve travel. Still wouldn't worry about it.

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
I agree with Jocko, not worth worrying about... End of Thread :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
MOT testers like to put at least one advisory on the form,  to impress VOSA as it makes it look as though they are doing a good thorough job,  thing to remember is that if it really was a safety concern it would be a fail.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
I guess it makes sense that at 8 clicks it has 'little reserve travel left'

thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated

Tags: