Author Topic: Handbrake Adjustment  (Read 6080 times)

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Handbrake Adjustment
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »
Good Day,

My wife is learning under an instructors guidance and noticed that on a steepish hill the handbrake does not hold the car properly.

Is there a quick way to tighten the handbrake cable, or similar?

Note it passed the MOT a few weeks ago no handbrake issues...

Thanks Jon.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Handbrake Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »
Handbrake is well known on the Jazz for not being particularly efficient because it works on the discs. When I was buying my car I was told by the dealer, an ex Honda mechanic, that when I stopped I was to hold the car firmly on the footbrake WHILE I APPLIED THE HANDBRAKE. I have done this ever since getting the car, with no problem. I noticed at my MOT, that is how the tester applied it.
Handbrake should go on with approx 8 clicks. More, then it needs adjustment, less suggests a seized cable. (Haynes manual)

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
The handbrake cable tensioner is located under the centre console behind the hand brake lever.   But you need to partially remove the centre console between the font seats to gain access.

I think the cable had stretched a bit on my car as it wouldn't hold the car on slight incline unless it was pulled up 7+ clicks.  Examining the cable where it is attached to the rear brake disc callipers, I could see a bit of slack in the cables (Hand brake off, wheels chocked or in Park position for CVT).

I couldn't work out how to completely remove the centre console (CVT model) after removing the retention screws, but I was able to lift the rear end of the console sufficiently to get my hand and a small spanner onto the tensioner nut.  Access is Very tight but possible with patience.  Small hands will help too.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/a00/html/00/SAA2E00D00060800000MCAT01.HTML

I can't find any decent photos or videos for GD Jazz hand brake tensioner at the moment, but mechanism is identical to this old Civic when you view this video from 5 minutes onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uItdG46I8Q

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:16:13 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Whilst I have a Mk2 I too was advised about the handbrake.
When I was in driver training we were told to leave foot on pedal, exerting pressure and then depress the button, pull the lever up as far as you think you can and then release button. Give the lever a tug and it will probably come up another notch. MAKE SURE THE PAWL( Ratchet) HAS ENGAGED
The dealer poopood this and just told me to just pull the hand brake lever up, the teeth will never wear out. Perhaps they won't in normal life but if Ozzie lets his pupils give the ratchet stick at his 200,000miles it might be a different story.
One word of warning, it is not just a case of tightening the handbrake cable. There is a set procedure to follow otherwise your handbrake will not work. It involves checking the stops on the calipers to ensure the handbrake cable is fully released and having the wheels off the ground until, when adjusting the cable to remove the slack with the handbrake  on the first notch or click, the discs just drag when turned by hand. I do know that if the correct procedure is not followed you will never have a decent handbrake. It is not difficult just  a pain in the bum to do.
Perhaps I have been lucky but in 3 yrs I have had no problems with the handbrake BUT I still leave it in gear as well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
I have had no problems with the handbrake BUT I still leave it in gear as well.
Me too.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:59:38 PM »
I have had no problems with the handbrake BUT I still leave it in gear as well.
Me too.

So do I,  a handbrake cable can break at any time,  and I can never remember a time when I didn't leave car in gear,  driving instructors used to drill it into you - wonder if they still do ?

here is extract from highway code

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should

park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly

select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill

select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill

use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
Many many years ago, I was so chuffed at gaining my approved MOT tester. In those days it was a Tapley meter on the floor. Down the road at about 20 mph apply hand brake etc. Yes well the  Mini I was driving had other ideas, the flipping handbrake cable broke.
After that I did the other bits first and the brake test last. Perhaps in retrospect it was sensible to do it that way, especially after my Boss, on a car he was testing, found a brake line sweating!!!!!!!!!!! it was so perforated.
Thank heavens those days are gone. I would be surprised if any modern car would be in the condition some would be presented in. However I can remember in recent times a court case between a car buyer and a police force.( the police were the vendors) The car was described as dangerous but the police still won despite I believe the evidence of the then Min O Transport..
I have had a car licence since 1958 and the leaving in gear when parked has never left me.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
I have had a car licence since 1958 and the leaving in gear when parked has never left me.
Beats me. I have only held a licence since 1965.

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
But that makes you better looking than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Flippancy we don't need.

Tags:

anything