Author Topic: Cruise control steps.  (Read 5753 times)

guest5079

Re: Cruise control steps.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
I am sorry if my suggestion that the cruise control was adaptive on the Mk3. This was put to me as fact. I spent considerable time and effort trying to get Honda to answer the question I put to them. At 70mph in cruise control going down hill on one occasion a lower gear was selected. At no other speed did the cruise control slow me down, the car would run away.
The hill in question is quite steep. The cruise control keeping the speed constant at 70 mph downhill occurred on three occasions. My Wife  even remarked on it and she is certainly not mechanically minded.
I put this to Honda, well about six letters telling to go to my local dealer for the fault to be analysed and rectified I finally got them to admit they didn't know. Well I think thats what the letter meant. I found Honda most unhelpful.
Where the adaptive bit came from I know not but it was said in good faith.
I now know the Mk3 Cruise control is NOT adaptive. But my Mk 2 with I shift still slows me down if I start to go over 70 downhill in cruise control

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »
My Volvo accelerated smoothly with CC, pretty much as I would have done myself. But what it would do, that explains why mpg is not so good with CC, is it would change down on a hill to maintain speed. I, on the other hand. would back off slightly as I approached the crest, happy to slow by 5 mph or so and not make the change. I have never ever driven a manual with CC (I have driven them, I just never used CC), so I am not able to speak on their foibles.
Driving an automatic, with CC, is mind sappingly dull, and I could well see how drivers nod off. The more driver "aids" we have, the worse it will get.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
Well if you do use the accelerator it will cancel cruise control anyway
Not on the Jazz it won't. Only the brake pedal cancels the CC. Pushing the accelerator pedal overrides the CC temporarily but it remains in force. Useful for overtaking manoeuvres supposedly but personally I prefer to cancel the CC when I take control. I rely on engine braking to slow so when I take control of the accelerator I'd rather do so completely. Engine braking is less effective when you have CC set at 60mph :)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »
The only strange thing I have noticed, is at 30mph in 5th gear, driving without CC on, a hill will cause it to labour but on CC, there is not the same labouring, and it cannot change gear
Never a problem for me as I have the CVT version  :P

I use my CC quite a lot on motorways. I prefer to sit in lane one along with the HGVs so I set it to 55mph with the occasional tweak. But I also use it going home from work. There's a stretch of the A422 around Middleton Cheney which is fairly straight and fairly flat so I set it to 50mph (the speed limit).

I don't like using it on bendy roads because it interferes with engine braking nor on hilly roads because it so often under- or over- shoots at the top or bottom.
I found Honda most unhelpful.
My experience too. I once asked them why Idle Stop restarted the engine when I took my foot off the brake pedal and the gear selector was in 'N'. They respond by telling me that if I take my foot of the brake pedal when the gear selector is in 'N' the engine will restart  ::)
Where the adaptive bit came from I know not but it was said in good faith.
I now know the Mk3 Cruise control is NOT adaptive. But my Mk 2 with I shift still slows me down if I start to go over 70 downhill in cruise control
Ah well there's a lot of things that iShift did that pretty much everyone is grateful the CVT doesn't do. You might actually have found something where iShift actually behaved in an appropriate way.

CVT boxes (I've used both versions) will hold the current ratio somewhat but as I mentioned in another post they don't seem keen on engine braking. Presumably there's some aspect of their design that means Honda would rather have the engine pushing through the box rather than being pushed. It's never really been an issue for me. I only know of that one hill where CC won't hold the speed and it doesn't cause any issues because everyone accelerates going down there.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:17:50 PM by andruec »

guest5079

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
Thank you andruec, for your input. The matter of the accelerator overcoming the CC when accelerating is a double edged sword, as I found one day. After slowing in traffic without braking after a distance in CC, the CC suddenly woke up and accelerated. Bit disconcerting BUT then I hadn't used the brake and as you say that does over ride the CC. My own fault for not using the brake. As to the maintaining 70 mph downhill, Honda would not or maybe could not answer my query.
I even asked them if it was a positive of I shift.

Tags:

anything