Author Topic: Rear demister not working, knocking suspension and where do you get your parts  (Read 3722 times)

guest7170

So new to Jazz ownership and got a couple of issues...

Are there any obvious reasons as to why the demister and heated mirrors aren't working? The mirrors have power and fold in and out, but when you press the demist button it doesn't illuminate - any ideas?

I seem to have a knock from the front suspension when going over uneven surfaces, almost sounds like something is loose and knocking around. Bit annoyed that I didn't pick this up on the test drive, but it seems to really show up on the terrible Oxfordshire roads. Again anything obvious

Last question (for now) I promise! I'm after a new gear gaiter and carpet as they're ripped and holed. I usually use eBay, and bearing in mind the volume of Jazzes produced I thought there would be loads of bits on there, but there isn't. So where do you get all your bits from?

Thanks   

guest7024

• Topic Starter
Get hold of drop link see if any play in it can cause knock

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
I bought a couple of drop links for mine thinking that was the issue (experience with previous two cars), but it turned out to be the big bush in the wishbone so I had to replace that.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
If the rear window and mirrors aren't demisting it's probably a fuse as they'll probably share the same fuse. If the demister lamp still doesn't work it could just be the lamp has blown.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Take your Jazz back to where you bought it & have them fix these known faults , good luck

culzean

• Approved Member
Take your Jazz back to where you bought it & have them fix these known faults , good luck

Only if bought from a registered business, and even then if not safety related may be deemed 'wear and tear' - with private sales it is 'sold as seen' with no comeback except if you decide on civil action (which can be costly).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7170

• Topic Starter
Thanks for the replies

If the rear window and mirrors aren't demisting it's probably a fuse as they'll probably share the same fuse. If the demister lamp still doesn't work it could just be the lamp has blown.

I'll go and check this out now, just need to find a fuse diagram.

Get hold of drop link see if any play in it can cause knock

I did wonder if it might be these, as I used to have a similar noise in my old 205 days. Think this will be my first port of call.

I bought a couple of drop links for mine thinking that was the issue (experience with previous two cars), but it turned out to be the big bush in the wishbone so I had to replace that.

I'm assuming you need a proper press to fit that bush? I've seen the whole wishbones on eBay for £50, but wondering if they're cheap pattern parts and worth avoiding. Honda want 250+VAT a side!

Only if bought from a registered business, and even then if not safety related may be deemed 'wear and tear' - with private sales it is 'sold as seen' with no comeback except if you decide on civil action (which can be costly).

Yeah I bought the car privately so there isn't any comeback, however it was fairly cheap so I was expecting a few little things.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
I'll go and check this out now, just need to find a fuse diagram.
Rear window and mirror defogger are on separate fuses, plus relay.
See this: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/K0/SAA2EK0J54260400000CBAT00.HTML

The witness lights on the switches only show that the switch is pressed, the circuit itself may or may not work anyway.

I have replaced both front control arms with compatible parts (£50) and although a bit awkward as I had to cut the ball joint nut was quite straightforward with normal tools.  Take a look at the bush on the rear of each control arm to see if it is like the picture.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
I've seen the whole wishbones on eBay for £50, but wondering if they're cheap pattern parts and worth avoiding. Honda want 250+VAT a side!
I fitted an FAI wishbone. Cost me £40. Does the job great and solved all my problems. I work, part time, in the motor trade, and I can assure you that 90% of parts fitted by independent garages are pattern parts.

guest7170

• Topic Starter
So had a busy day yesterday...

The knocking noise was doing my head in, so yesterday I fitted a new pair of drop links, and I changed the discs and pads. The brakes were very easy to do - not the case with the drop links. All bolts were so corroded that in the end I had to cut them off. Job is now done and the car stops a lot better and the knocking has gone. 

I still haven't tackled the demister issue, that is my next project, so thanks for the helpful pointers.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Does the itself demister work? It may just be the lamp in the switch that has gone, which isn't a big deal..

guest7170

• Topic Starter
No it doesn't appear to work, though when you press the button you can hear the relay clicking.

I also need to figure out why the interior lights are only on & off, and don't work when you open/close the doors.

All fun and games!   

Tags:

anything