Author Topic: Strong exhaust fume smell near front of car  (Read 6166 times)

guest7027

Re: Strong exhaust fume smell near front of car
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »
I had formula one autocentre take a look at the exhaust system and they can't find any leaks or problems with it.

Car is in for MOT today at Honda and they are going to take another look at this at the same time too.

I think the issue I have is that Honda say this exhaust fuel smell is 'normal' on cold startup as the car is running rich due to automatic choke being on - once engine reaches optimum tempreature auto choke goes off, smell goes away and everything is all good.

I fully agree with what Honda say and do not dispute that this is what is happening. My point however is that the smell is very strong and seems significantly stronger than my other Jazz and also stronger than any other petrol car I've owned or my family have owned which would indicate that maybe its running too rich at startup or something?

The smell also finds its way into the engine bay and front end of the car very quickly after startup (i'm not wholly convinced this is the wind as it never been windy when I've tested it) - the smell is actually stronger at the front and side of the car than it is at the back. The smell often lingers and you can smell it from 3-4 metres away. If i have fan blowers on outside and leave car standing on drive for 2-3 minutes after startup the car fills up with the smell too.

Tags:

anything