Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4679 times)

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« on: September 24, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
Found this wonderful forum when searching for i-Shift gearbox oil change. I run a driving school and use my 2009 ES i-Shift for automatic lessons. Done 77k miles and it has been totally reliable.

I have lots to say as I added a few things for the car over the years. But not sure if I should do it here on this post.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
Welcome. Great chat to be found here, and we always welcome knowledgeable drivers.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »
Welcome to Clubjazz!

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:12:36 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Little about why I chose this Jazz. I run a small driving school after leaving AA. A manual 2002 Citroen C3 and my mum's 1994 Civic Bel-Air Auto. But as business picked up on the latter, I had to get something newer. So went for a used Auris Hybrid but the dealer didn't hear what I wanted and it went up to about £13k! So started to look else when I saw a used 2009 Jazz ES i-Shift at a Honda dealer at £6995! Never really consider the Jazz until I saw how affordable they were and the low road tax. So I sold my Civic for £500 and the family Toyota Verso for £4000, both to my former pupils and put the rest on finance.

Now had the car for 5 yrs and 55k miles in that time. Touchwood, has been totally reliable. Journalist always go on about the  Fiesta but I think Jazz is better. The car is so better engineered, the idle engine is so quiet, compared  I to my now manual SEAT Ibiza of the same age and mileage.

Have added rear Mugen spoiler, leather steering, DRL, Philips Powerful Bulbs, parking sensors and Sat Nav with rear camera. Service is alternate between main dealer and my local independent garage. Using Nexen all season tyres and for the last 12 mths, Shell V-POWER petrol.

The only thing I don't like the Jazz is the dashboard materials. Also, the boot is filled with water every winter, enough to live a goldfish! But so far, no causes have been found, either by main dealer or independent garage. Also, the i-Shift with 1.4 engine is a slow car. But by using Shell V-Power, it seems to have improved slightly!

The current MK3 Jazz is disappointing in the sense the design is so boring. Compare to how the Civic has evolved, the Jazz is 😪! But I did say to Honda UK that they can put some black alloys and spoilers to make it more interesting. Well, looks like they have listened as the facelift version looks good!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:14:15 AM by 123Drive! »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:06:22 AM »
Also, the boot is filled with water every winter, enough to live a goldfish! But so far, no causes have been found, either by main dealer or independent garage.
This is common on the Jazz, caused by water leaking in round roof rails/inserts. There is plenty on this site regarding curing it. Seems an easy fix, though thankfully, not one I have needed to resort to.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
Thanks Jocko! I will have a look!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »
Follow Quote link to see pictures.

Yes, fixed it many years ago and it has now lasted longer than the original did.

#1 Unclip gutter trim on drivers side (UK) by pushing back at end while trying to lift about 6" further back.
#2 Peel back and unclip at other end.
#3 Remove slime and debris from gutter.  Find tiny crack and test it with a paint brush bristle.
#4 Wonder how on earth so much water can get through such a tiny crack.
#5 Scrape out old filler from panel join in last inch of gutter.
#6 Wonder why they built it with a gap at the end.
#7 Mask area with tape.
#8 Fill with polyurethane sealant like this: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p67949  (NOT silicone!)
#9 Smooth over with plastic offcut then cover with touch up paint when set.
#10 Marvel at dry boot, think about replacing rusty jack.

I did not take pictures when I fixed mine so demonstrated on a scrapyard car instead.  Although quite a lot of the join is exposed here, I only found the gap at the top corner on both cars.
--
TG

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
Hello and welcome.

There's another member who uses a Jazz for his driving school, his 2011 Hybrid is at around 200k.

123Drive!

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:34 PM »
Thanks Richard! Wow! 200k miles! What a good advert for Honda! For that he should get a free service from Honda UK for the rest of it's life! Lol!

I need to study the above links. I am not confident whether I can unclip the rain channels to check the leak. I might ask my mechanic to do it for me.

Aerostop

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Dc5
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »
Welcome! This is a good forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:11:40 PM by RichardA »

lilejamson

• Registered Member
    • Huge-IT