Author Topic: Unimpressed!  (Read 3089 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Unimpressed!
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
When I got rid of my estate car and roof bars I thought I would avoid the IKEA run. No chance with a Jazz, yesterday I got a 6' long box in the car with plenty of room left. No way it would have gone in my Focus sized estate. :-(

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Re: Unimpressed!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
The space in the back is ridiculously large. Bigger than an S class merc apparently. The jazz is no longer a small car.

Just returned from taking son to uni with all his stuff. Easily fits in the jazz.

The down side is it now fills the garage and you have not got an excuse for the IKEA run. 

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:00:18 PM »
On thinking about it, and parking along side, the current Jazz is about the same size as a Focus.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 03:13:08 AM »
On thinking about it, and parking along side, the current Jazz is about the same size as a Focus.

Mk2   3900 mm
Mk3   3995 mm
Focus 4360 mm

But you will fit more stuff and more rear passenger comfort in the Mk3 .....still big on the inside and small on the outside.

It does amuse me how many group reviews put the Jazz in with SuperMinis group and then go on to compare it with larger cars.

(BTW, I have not understood why this thread is called "Unimpressed"?! was it because you found you hadn't avoided the Ikea run after all?)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:04:31 AM by mikebore »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
But for all that the boot has lost usable space over the years. I've mentioned this before. I put a golf bag, trolley, battery, shoes and spare balls in mine. I can only do that in the Mk3 because I removed the silly polystyrene filler in the spare wheel well. Since that area isn't carpeted (unlike the Mk1 and Mk2) I've had to drape an old sheet across it as protection. Since the wheel well cover is now a flimsy bit of plywood I've had to put some MDF across the bottom to support the weight of the golf bag. I've also lost the very convenient mesh bag that used to be part of the wheel well cover - you used to be able to just flip up part of the bottom and store small items in there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-2008-2014-REAR-BOOT-FALSE-FLOOR-COVER-CARPET-SHELF-SPARE-WHEEL-COVER-/252529792499

Not only does it have the netting area but it's made of decent wood. You could stand on it and it wouldn't bow.

The Mk1 didn't have that but it did have one other advantage - I used to be able to get the bag straight in (albeit diagonally). With the Mk2 and Mk3 I have to first remove my driver (the longest club) then shoehorn the bag into place. With the Mk3 it's also a bit of a tight fit to put the driver back in on top of the bag.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:02:17 AM by andruec »

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:43:02 AM »
The Mk 2 might have a spare wheel cover/boot floor and it is nice to have the net and the fact that it folds  BUT printed on ours it states there is a weight limit. Sorry I think it's 10kgs from memory. This means if anything heavier is carried in the boot, I have to use a chunk of ply cut to size.
What makes me look after this boot 'floor' is Honda's price tag of many hundreds of pounds.
Yes I know I might find one in good condition at a breakers BUT why make something so expensive which is the boot floor when by definition a boot floor should be able to carry substantial weight.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:31:08 AM »
(BTW, I have not understood why this thread is called "Unimpressed"?! was it because you found you hadn't avoided the Ikea run after all?)

Yes, my adult kids rapidly sussed out that my Jazz will swallow big bits of kit that none of their four cars will!

They were a little dismayed when I bought the Jazz as I had always had the estate car in the family fleet, used for shifting stuff about, then they realised the capabilities of the Jazz.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:41:38 AM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
The Mk 2 might have a spare wheel cover/boot floor and it is nice to have the net and the fact that it folds  BUT printed on ours it states there is a weight limit. Sorry I think it's 10kgs from memory. This means if anything heavier is carried in the boot, I have to use a chunk of ply cut to size.
Sounds like they might have understated it a bit because my trolley bag must weigh in excess of 20kg. My stand bag (which I use for flights) weighs nearly 20kg and it doesn't have as much stuff in it. Of course some of the weight would be carried by the actual boot floor at either side which would help. The Mk3 floor doesn't immediately collapse under the weight either but did start to sag until I helped it out.

Mind you I do remember that the liftable flap could give you a nasty rap on the knuckles if it fell on your hands, so it wasn't all good. But overall I think that was a genius bit of design and I was very disappointed to discover Honda had ditched it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:30:13 PM by andruec »

guest6436

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:14:17 AM »
I used my mk1 as an actual delivery VAN for around 3years,I tried hard to find a better car which was as fuel efficient/reliable /spacious YET small in city and  easy to drive and park in tight places- I couldn't...

Tags:

anything