Author Topic: Update from German manufacture.  (Read 4490 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Update from German manufacture.
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
I heard a rumour out of Munich that BMW have almost got to grips with the technology behind indicators, and they hope to fit them to their 2019 range. They will not be backwardly compatible with their current range of vehicles so these will continue to have the plastic blanks fitted to them, as at present.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Update from German manufacture.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one to notice German car indicators not working,  not only BMW though,  Audi close second.

It seems the more expensive the car the less likely to have functioning direction signals.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
I think that there must be a new version of the Highway Code out and in it it says that 'indicating is no longer required at roundabouts' and also ' there is no longer a give way requirement at roundabouts, just charge on and hope'.

Vic.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
But you can't operate the stalk if you've got your mobile in your left hand....

https://www.gov.uk/take-practice-theory-test   (follow links to test)
We have family members who have just taken & will shortly take this.  Try it yourself; bit annoyed that I got 49/50.
--
TG

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:41:02 PM »
I did my bus licence in 2006 and had to do the full test. All the spy in the cab questions and the like. The Hazard Perception test was a pig. Once you know what they are looking for it is fine, but as an experienced driver you see hazards that the learner is not expected to react to. Both our instructors took a mock test, when it was first being introduced, and both would have failed!.
Yes, today I followed an X3 and an X5, in convoy (both black), through the town. Seven roundabouts and not a signal from either of them. The X5 even made a right turn into a side street, right in front of me, without a signal. Just brakes on at the last minute and turn. I should post my dashcam footage on YouTube, number plates and all.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:30 PM »
I think that there must be a new version of the Highway Code out and in it it says that 'indicating is no longer required at roundabouts' and also ' there is no longer a give way requirement at roundabouts, just charge on and hope'.

Why do drivers treat mini roundabouts exactly the same as the Give Way junction they replaced?

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »
I did the test to TG, I didn't realise they still had to know hand signals bt at least I remembered mine. I did guess one answer about towing speed on an A road but happened to guess right as well. think I'll go back and do the lorry one now :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »

Why do drivers treat mini roundabouts exactly the same as the Give Way junction they replaced?

My wife calls those mini-roundabouts 'fantasy islands' -  an apt name because people treat them as though they are not even there. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
That gets my goat too. They should all be like this mini roundabout, here in Kirkcaldy.

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
On the subject of indicators has any one noted the ones fitted to the rear of  Peugeots?  Talk about a slit, on a bright day they are virtually invisible. How the heck did that get through Construction and Use regs?   oh I forgot Peugeot is French so being a selected member of the EU they can write to rules.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
I use my indicators all the time. It doesn't matter whether there is traffic/pedestrians or not. Day night, back of beyond or city, I signal as a matter of course. It means I don't "forget". If someone sees me it may help them. If nobody sees, where's the loss (If a tree falls in a forest............). My PCV instructor advised all of us to take that approach to signalling.
Some drivers signal for other drivers, but never give a thought for pedestrians. The poor pedestrian waiting to cross the road in the rain gets soaked, then the driver they are waiting on turns off without a signal. That gets right up my other half's back.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
On the subject of indicators has any one noted the ones fitted to the rear of  Peugeots?  Talk about a slit, on a bright day they are virtually invisible. How the heck did that get through Construction and Use regs?   oh I forgot Peugeot is French so being a selected member of the EU they can write to rules.

Noticed the same on Audi A3 - tiny little slit of an indicator,  but at least there was a light in there (even though very hard to see with brake lights on).

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
Saw a classic example of cr*p driving today. A police traffic car was ahead of me going into a busy, local roundabout. No indicators. He was sitting well out to the centre of the road and my intention was to pull up on his nearside, as I was turning left. As I closed on him a gap in the traffic materialised - and he turned left! And if I had pulled up alongside him I'd have been all the silly b*ggers at best, and producing my documents at worst.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
These days, it's not very often you go out and fail to see something either stupid, or downright dangerous.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »
I notice Audi now fit pulsing indicators to some models, maybe the logic behind it is to encourage Audi drivers to indicate to show off their fancy indicators. Good for other road users, good for Audi drivers' egos...win-win. ;)

I witnessed some poor driving a few weeks back. The car in front was turning left into a side road and I was continuing along the main road. The Mercedes SLK behind overtook me using the right turn box just as I was about to accelerate after the car in front turned off.  It was only by sheer luck none of the vehicles coming the other way intended to enter this box to turn right.

Tags: