Author Topic: 30 mph to become 20 mph?  (Read 178 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
30 mph to become 20 mph?
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
I was shocked today to see that East Lothian council are to order a moratorium on any future speed restriction trials. This is due to pending legislation, in Scotland, that will reduce ALL 30 mph speed limits down to 20 mph.
Mark Ruskell, Green MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife, has been progressing his Proposed Restricted Roads (20mph Limit) (Scotland) Bill through the Scottish Parliament. The proposed bill has cross-party support from 12 SNP, seven Labour, five Green Party and one Liberal-Democrat MSP.
Scotland has been introducing 20 mph speed limits like we were being paid to do so. All new housing schemes are 20 mph zones and most housing areas not on main roads are becoming 20 mph zones.
The city of Edinburgh has a huge 20 mph zone

which virtually covers the entire city centre, with the exception of the main feeder routes (most of which are 40 mph).
I don't mind 20 mph speed limits as long as they do not stick speed bumps down. Edinburgh is pleasantly free of speed bumps, for all but housing schemes. Just big 20 mph signs in the road

(as well as the mandatory signs and repeaters).

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: 30 mph to become 20 mph?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:53:58 PM »
They have been ripping up chicanes and speed bumps in Shropshire and introducing 20 mph speed limits instead, and I agree with Jocko that 20 limit is preferable, one village had 11 full width speed bumps in 1/3 of a mile.

They need a 20 limit on our estate, many people speed down the narrow roads, and go the wrong way around an island by our house because it is shorter than going around the correct way.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 10:03:34 AM »
Brighton & Hove has a 20mph speed limit in most parts of the city. The section by the Pavilion is on one of the main feeder roads into the city:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-sussex-22630998/drivers-captured-breaking-brighton-s-new-20mph-speed-limit

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
We had a 20mph limit through the road that all the residential streets run off from. It's been removed as the estate is yet to be adopted (it's a new build estate). The main road that this leads off from is a 40mph rural road and there are no signs indicating that the 40mph limit has ended, although the presence of street lights* (and common sense) should indicate this would be no more than a 30mph.

*some new build like the other development up the road don't even have street lights!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
As I said, I don't mind 20 mph speed limits as long as they don't stick speed bumps down too.
If need be, I prefer this type of traffic calming.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »
*some new build like the other development up the road don't even have street lights!

Council have just replaced the orange sodium streetlights with LED type in our area, the white light much better and more directional ( i.e.. downwards) than older lights, hopefully this will darken the sky and remove that horrible orange glow in the sky over our built up areas.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
These speed bumps are useless, I'm sure these are narrower than my Jazz!

https://goo.gl/maps/DMYBRKtbS4F2

The chicane idea works if done properly. This one is too close the corner, I've been forced to brake when a someone coming in the opposite direction approaches it without slowing down and drives straight round it. It doesn't help when the nearby BMW dealer park their cars are right up at the chicane:

https://goo.gl/maps/DG9uE4ZWqWT2

(The next chicane after this one had to been relocated soon after installation, you see the outline the previous markings on the road.)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Blue HR-V SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
Lower speeds and obstacles which cause stop-start driving are likely to increase CO2 as the vehicle movement becomes less efficient (until we all have hybrids or electric cars). The underlying problem is that, whatever the speed limit, a significant proportion of drivers will exceed the limit. I often accumulate a significant trail of vehicles when passing through a 30mph zone on a main road and that's when I'm a couple of mph over the indicated speed to allow for the built-in optimism (but I also get annoyed by those who drive significantly lower than the limit when the road is clear).

Tags:

anything