Author Topic: HOW TO: Fix a power door lock  (Read 14137 times)

ndsee

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 09 EX
HOW TO: Fix a power door lock
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:50:45 PM »
After facing an £860 bill to replace three door locks which had failed simultaneously I decided to do it myself; here's how...
(NOTE: I take no responsibility for any damage you do to your car by following this guide and be aware that your super-locking will no longer work if you swap motors)
1) Remove the door card (search for more details on this but basically undo the screw in the handle, prise off the elbow rest cover, undo screw [top left pic below],remove connector from window control, prise whole panel off and feed handle through hole in door card)
2) Remove the screws highlighted below and the 10mm bolt which holds the end of the window rail.
3) Unplug the door lock connector and peel back some of the rain shield plastic (watch out for the gooiest black stuff in the world!)

4) To release the lock you need to pull it off the rod which comes from the outside handle. Wangle your hand into the door behind the lock and operate the external handle to locate the rod.  The rod fits through the plastic clip [1] and I find that if you pull down on the clip and move the door handle up/down it comes out fairly easily.  Note that the plastic clip may well fall out of the metal housing into the bottom of the door but can be fixed back in easily.
5) Remove the screws [2] to release the metal shroud (there's one on the back of the lock) and remove the shroud.
6) Remove screws [3] to release the latch (another screw on back) then pull the latch out (it's lightly stuck with foam tape)
7) Remove the remaining screws [4]

8) To open the mechanism you need to release the plastic clips (I found that squeezing them together and crossing them over with a pair of pliers worked well but bending each pin with a small screwdriver works too).  They are tough so you can bend them quite far and they take a while to regain shape which gives you time to get the cover off.

9) Turn the mechanism over so the connector socket is facing up and, very carefully, prise the cover off. I usually start in the area where the latch was located for leverage then work around the body gradually until it releases. 
10) Once the cover is off, take a photo! Nothing should fly out but I have had a couple of springs come out of their mounting holes (I'll show these at the end).
11) If all goes well you will end up with with the exposed mechanism shown below.  Make sure you DON'T MOVE ANY OF THE INNARDS.
12) If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance at the motor contacts, a healthy motor should be around 6-8 ohms.  If it reads more than this but not open-circuit it probably means that the commutator has a carbon build up due to arcing when the motor stalled, this is what we need to clean...
13) Carefully [lever up] the main motor so that the lead screw clears the cog and [apply 12v] DC across the terminals. You may need to manually turn the shaft to free it but the motor should eventually run at high speed.  Reverse the polarity for good measure. 
14) If the motor either doesn't run or runs slowly (you can stop it with your fingers easily) it means that the commutator is beyond simple help.
15) Faced with this situation I lever out the motor terminal blades and [A] lift out the connector terminal block then  (B) swap the motors over (*NOTE superlocking will no longer work if you do this)

If all goes well this will have fixed your lock - reverse the process to put everything back together and fit the lock to the door.

***HOWEVER DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR*** without first testing the lock works with the door open. Simulate the door closing by swiping a screwdriver through the latch mechanism and make sure that the door handle opens the lock and that the central locking engages/disengages.  I closed the door on my first try and discovered I hadn't located a small spring so the door wouldn't open - I eventually managed to open it with a lot of fiddling (I can tell you how if need be).

GOOD LUCK X

I mentioned a couple of springs which jumped when I first did this, here they are in their correct positions...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:56:20 PM by ndsee »

patch

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4ES plus
Re: HOW TO: Fix a power door lock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
Great work.  Excellent detailed description.  Well done.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
Super post,10/10.

Plasma.

guest5715

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:59:57 PM »
Awesome post, good on you

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
What Jazz was the OP working on a MK I or II?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 04:40:45 PM »
09 so probably a Mk 2.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:53:14 AM »
09 so probably a Mk 2.
Thanks, does anyones doors make a high pitched squeak when the central locking locks the doors?

One of my doors is making the noise and it's triggering my OCD, I may need to track down which door it is and open it all up, hopefully just some lube is needed.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Joekool

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2014 jazz hybrid
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 04:05:41 PM »
Hi Ndsee,

***HOWEVER DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR*** without first testing the lock works with the door open. Simulate the door closing by swiping a screwdriver through the latch mechanism and make sure that the door handle opens the lock and that the central locking engages/disengages.  I closed the door on my first try and discovered I hadn't located a small spring so the door wouldn't open - I eventually managed to open it with a lot of fiddling (I can tell you how if need be).

I am stuck with the issue mentioned above, my driver's door is closed and I am not able to open it using the key or remote fob. Can you please assist me with the steps to open the door? Jumping across from the passenger side is becoming tedious, esp when you are 6'7!

Tags: