Author Topic: Speed limiter vs Cruise control  (Read 7081 times)

guest6316

Speed limiter vs Cruise control
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »
My apologies if there is already a post out there on this subject.

I've been trying to get my head round why we have a speed limiter selector when the cruise control seems to be just as adequate in most situations.

I've only just started to  'play' with the limiter function, so I may have missed something.

I personally find the cruise control better (at the moment) the only disadvantage I can see is that you can't decelerate using throttle (I am aware you can adjust speeds with the +,- buttons on the steering wheel).

It would be nice to here what others think of the two systems and how useful they find them.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Speed limiter vs Cruise control
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »
lively debate about speed limiter limitations here ..............

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8617.msg44170#msg44170
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6316

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »
Thanks culzean, as you say lively debate a very good read.

I'm even more convinced that the speed limiter is not worth bothering with, other than perhaps in a road works section or these cursed average speed camera monitored stretches.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
I have to say, I use cruise nearly all the time and particularly so in some of our urban areas, which have Average Speed Cameras set up in a 30 Mph zone.
The MK 3 shows the actual set speed, unlike the earlier models, so that there can be no concern as to accuracy.
Have said that, I find that 30 Mph cruise, equates to 29 Mph on the Sat Nav, Similarly 70 Mph equates to 67 Mph Sat Nav, both erring on the safe side.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:15:48 PM »
I wouldn't rely on the speed limiter. It's just not that accurate. I've known it fail to spot speed limit signs it should see and pick up signs from the wrong, adjacent road. But basically I just don't agree with the idea. In other threads people make comments like 'we all struggle to maintain our speed' or 'like everyone my speed gradually increases over time'.

Well mine doesn't and in my opinion if you can't maintain your chosen speed within +/- a couple of mph you are a poor driver and not in proper control of your vehicle. That doesn't mean my eyes are glued to the speedometer either. I can gauge my speed quite well enough by looking through the windscreen and can anticipate changes due to inclines and adjust the accelerator pedal accordingly. An occasional glance at the speedometer every couple of minutes and an awareness of road signs is all that's required.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »
Yeah, cruise control every time.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »
I wouldn't rely on the speed limiter. It's just not that accurate. I've known it fail to spot speed limit signs it should see and pick up signs from the wrong, adjacent road.
Remember the Jazz has two speed limiters, the "intelligent SL" that relies on reading the speed limit signs and is IMHO a waste of space; and the old-fashioned system where you set the VNE (for any aviators out there) manually and which I find quite useful, typically in variable speed limits and roadworks on motorways. I prefer the limiter in those situations because the traffic is usually denser and I feel more in control using the right foot whilst having the reassurance that I'm not going to accidentally overspeed. Cruise control is great where the road is free-flowing, but as soon as the traffic starts bunching or speed is varying I switch it off because I want finer control of my speed, and personally I find that easier with the foot than with the buttons.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »
Ah, the VNE system ought to be fairly reliable at least.

Tags:

anything