Author Topic: Paintwork  (Read 4742 times)

guest5079

Paintwork
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »
In 2015, when the car was serviced as part of the original deal, I brought the dealers attention to the missing paint along the bottom edge of the rear hatch door. Wouldn't shift just kept parrot fashion repeating that it was chipping and not covered. In the past year it has not got any worse but I feel I should address the problem.
Any thoughts on this apart from repainting the door. If I treat the metal against rust, do I try and touch in with a brush? I have a colour matched aerosol but that is a bit difficult as it will be impossible to avoid a hard edge at the bottom of the door. I have thought of touching in with a brush and using a protector NOT the plastic clip on variety but something substantial. They appear to be available for some vehicles but I can find nothing for the Jazz. I invested in a bumper protector. It is made of ABS? plastic, fits over the top of the bumper to avoid scratches. This has worked well, something similar is my quest to avoid a dogs breakfast.
Any ideas please.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Paintwork
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »
An interesting problem and set of ideas.

1st question would be why is the paint missing? Has it worn through contact with the bumper or it's scuff protector or was it poorly adhered to the substrate?

Painting is one of those mysterious skills that the average person does not have; touching in stone chips with a fine paint spear is about the limit for me.  The surface should have two distinct layers - the colour base coat and the clear lacquer coat.  A paint shop will wet sand the base coat with 1500 then 2000 grade paper before applying the clear coat.  This will then be buffed smooth with a machine polisher and a series of compounds such as Farécla G3.  The high gloss is achieved by the fine polishing action.

The boot lid edge is such a tricky spot to paint and protect that it may be best to either cover it with tape or leave it to the professionals such as one of the Chips Away franchises.
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
In my younger days, I would not hesitate to do touch ins on a customers vehicle but then it was cellulose paint which you could clean off any overspray and cut it in, finishing off with a cutting compound and a good polish but now with all this technology modern paints do not allow for such belt and braces approach.
It is not worn but  'chips' are literally along the bottom edge of the door not continuous but as if someone has gone along with a hammer and taken bites out. The metal has not rusted, which says something I suppose but to rub it down with wet and dry would mean coming around the base onto the flat of the door.
I cannot say what happened before  I got the car but there is no obvious reason for the chips. After my attempts with the dealer I thought perhaps it was caused by a ring on a finger but my ring is on my left hand which does not come in contact with the base of the door. If it was a ring I should have thought it would scratch the flat surface as well. If it was caused by someone having an overlength load I should have thought it would be a more continuous removal of paint. As to the door touching the bumper, certainly not in my time BUT recently bolts on the hinges of the O/s rear door and the hatch have shown signs of rust so it might be a repair that was NOT done properly. As an aside, I have noticed a slight difference of colour on the o/s front bumper suggesting a repaint. I did write to the previous owner to ask about collision damage but got no reply and the dealer won't answer the question have they repaired the car bodywork?
So I am a loss as to know what to do. I obviously want to look after the car.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 04:39:46 PM »
Can you take some photos of this missing paint?

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »
Sorry absolute dumbcluck with computers and I doubt the problem would show up as the car is alabaster silver. I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to such a complicated operation!!!!!!!!!!!! Brain dead and not much else works either but thanks for the help.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 02:13:42 PM »
Having thought about it, I have realised that I should not be such a luddite. Is it very difficult to download photos onto Club Jazz. If any of you bright young things can help here I should be grateful.I have managed to send them on an E mail.
BUT words of one syllable please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Having thought about it, I have realised that I should not be such a luddite. Is it very difficult to download photos onto Club Jazz. If any of you bright young things can help here I should be grateful.I have managed to send them on an E mail.
BUT words of one syllable please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Click on "Attachments and other options" below the box where you type your reply and you then find the folder on your computer where the photo is.

However, there is a limit of 2000KB (~2MB) per photo but many modern cameras and phones produce photographs which are larger than this, which might be the cause of your difficulties. The solution is to get an image resizer program such as this http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/. The Medium or Large settings should be OK depending on the level of detail you need to show in the photo.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
I'd say whether you get it repainted professionally depends on how extensive the damage is. The whole hatch will need painting to get a colour match. The finish will rarely be as good as a factory finish.

If it's a small area I would just touch up with a colour matched paint using a small modelling brush. If it has gone down to metal you'll need an undercoat. Lacquer is not essential

The rear lip on my hatch has rusted and yours will do the same in due course if you don't do something about it. I've touched mine up with Hammerite which is not a perfect match but at least I know it won't rust. I've then put a black edge strip along it to cover it up. They are not ideal as I think they encourage scratches when dirt gets behind, but it smartens it up a little.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
Thanks for the help on this and also for the info on how to include photo's to a post. I shall now endeavour to clean the car and take the photos.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
I wonder if the chips may have happened if the previous owner had carried a long load and pulled the boot lid down into the load?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »
I have finally got around to downloading the pictures, taken heaven knows when, of the tail gate. Unfortunately the rust is not very pronounced in the photos.
I actually tried to download some photos onto an E mail and all I got was good ol BT telling me there was an error. Of course no info as to what the error was unless of course the pics were too many megabytes or whatever. Yes I am a dunce with computers.

Tags: