Author Topic: Battery cutting out at stop signs/traffic lights - 2008 Jazz  (Read 2945 times)

guest3807

Battery cutting out at stop signs/traffic lights - 2008 Jazz
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
Hello, I have a 2008 Jazz with about 28000 miles, which we have never had any issues with, until yesterday when it cut out completely on me while waiting at a junction. The car is normally kept in a garage overnight, however was outside the night before I had this problem, with the temperature falling to -1/-2 ish. The car started fine and drove off, but cut out as soon as I pulled to a stop at a junction. I had the fans on to clear the windscreen, as well as headlights and radio and wondered if this was the problem?

The battery light flashed on then everything cut out, I restarted the car and it did the same again, third time i managed to pull away and then turned off the ignition completely. Restarted and it was fine, then pulled over further along the road to text it and once again the battery light flashed and everything cut out when trying to move off from idle. After this I drove around to heat the engine up and the problem seemed to stop, but I'm nervous to risk taking it out as I live in a busy city and would hate to be stranded in rush hour etc.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it likely it was just the cold combined with the fans/radio/headlights being on first thing?

Thank you!

guest765

• Topic Starter
Re: Battery cutting out at stop signs/traffic lights - 2008 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Check your battery leads are clean and free from corrosion.....take the leads off.... clean the battery posts with emery paper,    replacing them  not too tight just so no movement is there ... then smear the leads with vaseline.      ;)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »
And if the above does not work, try and Italian tune up . Then clean the EGR valve...

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
 ;D
Hi
   Its high time for you to replace your battery, most commonly it only last for 3-5 years maintenance free.
The high voltage being used from all the electrics working at the same time is but signs of an ageing battery.

Tags:

anything