Author Topic: car juddering when under load  (Read 6804 times)

guest1049

car juddering when under load
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »
I own a 2003 jazz and recently it has begun to judder as if it wants to stall when travelling at speed or when going up a hill. I have no warning lights on my dash, the cars dash display doesn't dim when it jolts/kangaroo's and when I took it to my local garage they could find no fault with it. It is worse when the car has warmed up.  I have my suspicions that it may be one of the ignition coils but as these are quite expensive I wanted to be sure before I bought them. 

Therefore, does anyone have any cheaper ideas that I could try first??

thanks ;D

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: car juddering when under load
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
At what RPM (range) are you experiencing that fault?
Have you had your spark plugs replaced at every 2nd service (25k miles)?

(EGR valve might be dirty:
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=557.0.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:13:39 PM by DV »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:12:19 AM »
In the past I have had a car with a broken HT lead, although I would have thought a garage would have picked this up. Basically as the car is sitting straight it was fine, but as you accelerate the engine tilts slightly (again when going up hill) the slight tilt moves the HT lead and opens the break making the lead arc inside the lead which makes the car run rough.

I hope this helps.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
In the days when cars had carburetors, fuel starvation would cause an identical problem.  Fuel pump/filter perhaps?
If music be the food of love, play on

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
Could it be bad fuel ?

To cut a long story short, a friend had been experiencing a very intermittent engine stuttering symptoms in a 06 model for a few months.  The problem seem to resolve itself last month after they stopped using Tesco unleaded and filled up Shell unleaded. 

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
 ;D
hi
try to check egr valve if its clean or dirty, this is most common jazz fault
hope helps
when it comes to either tesco or shell fuels this does not matter since they are both 97 RON most standard on our fuels today, brand does not matter now it is standard whichever pump you go.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »
In the past I have had a car with a broken HT lead,

I hope this helps.

Jazz doesn't have HT leads as such - they have a separate coil for each plug ( GD has 8, GE has 4) - as far as I know there is no common fault that affects Honda ignition coils,  could be EGR or spark plugs need changing (or just the gap setting).  If you are going to go to the trouble of taking plugs out for checking it is just as quick to fit new ones.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:51:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1049

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied, to update you:

I only use BP ultimate because I do alot of miles as a community nurse so its worth the extra cost. I have changed EGR valve and no improvement. I have changed spark plugs, again, no improvement.  With regards to the RPM that this occurs its difficult to say as my rpm dial doesnt work.  the only way I can describe it is that its like I've suddenly put the car into 1st gear and it jolts and lurches forward,  only when engine has warmed up, it happens more on hills but can equally occur when travelling smoothly on the motorway for example.  I do both long and short trips throughout the day so I have to admit, I am more than a little stuped with  this one!! Nest step is looking at fuel filter.......will keep you posted.........

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
i would next look at the throttle area

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
 :D
HI
I thinks using bp ultimate fuel or the regular one does not matter.
you have said that that you have changed the egr valve yourself?, did you replaced a brand new one?
As described it its like suddenly the car is in 1st gear and lurches forward, it does sound sound a transmission problem, which includes the clutch slipping away. it might be yeah, and does it bother you a lot.
on your previous thread youve said you have tried consulting a local garage, can you try another garage for an independent views.
by the way how many previous owner it got and whats the mileage on the clock says..
hope everything would be alright..

guest3423

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
Was it Honda that gave diagnostic?

Tags: