Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201662 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »

I managed to get up to 49.3 on the gauge doing short mixed journeys during summer/autumn.  Now that we have moved into winter it has plummeted to 48.9 although it crept back up to 49 this week with the recent warmer spell.

guest1372

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
Is there anything special recommended that helps you get to 50+?
Tyre pressure kept high at 32 or 33, use the first quarter of the throttle pedal, ~never~ use the brakes, well... plan not to use them.  Constant speed on a dual carriageway is best, it takes 14x more energy to accelerate a mass of 1100kg from 65>75mph than from 0>10mph* that's just the mass - I'm not considering resistance caused by the drag.  So a constant 70 is much more efficient than variations averaging that speed.
--
TG

Ex,y=½(my2−mx2)
E0,10 10,995 J vs. E65,75 153,934 J

guest7277

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »
my 2003 jazz gets over 50mpg on motorways. Which has improved since i replaced all 8 spark plugs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
A big drop in mpg this top up. Down to 49 mpg. However, I had only to fill up once in the last month, which means I have done a greater percentage of morning commutes and less longer journeys. Plus the weather has been so much colder. That also depresses the fuel efficiency.

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2017, 07:27:18 AM »
My MPG has dropped down even further from 44 to 41.5 - I have a CVT model through so perhaps economy will be on the lower side anyways. I also did have my heaters at full blast over the last few journeys, but did not realise this can have such a massive impact.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
CVT should give better mpg than a manual. I don't think the heater per se has a big effect. I think it is the weather that necessitates the heater that makes the difference.

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »
my 2003 jazz gets over 50mpg on motorways. Which has improved since i replaced all 8 spark plugs.

How does changing the spark plugs improve performance?  Whats the cost of replacing them?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »

How does changing the spark plugs improve performance?  Whats the cost of replacing them?

New plugs generally improve engine response and mpg because a good spark is required for best performance and as plugs wear out the gap increases and insulator gets coated up with carbon,  which can affect spark.  New plugs also reduce the demand on the ignition coil and ensure a longer life for that, the rear plugs rarely get replaced on the 8 plug GD iDSi engine and there are cases on this and other forums of rear coils failing due to much too large a gap on worn rear electrodes.

I got my last plugs for Jazz and Civic from Opie oils,  there are a lot of Chinese copies of spark plugs around - don't go too cheap on ebay  :-X

These are standard NGK plugs...  https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-78126-ngk-bkr6e-11-2756-standard-spark-plug-sparkplug-projected-centre-electrode-single-plug.aspx

But plenty of compatible plugs to choose from including Bosch Iridium at a great price if you want longer life between changes  (because of their long service life iridium plugs have a smooth nickel plated thread to stop them sticking in aluminium thread of the cylinder head)

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2702-lookup-results.aspx?vehicleid=4676&variantlist=79644:167787%7E167788,78126:184608%7E184609,117581:828547,214077:0,214128:1258606%7E1258607,214010:0,213981:0,213998:0&yearFilter=2004
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:44:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:27 PM »
I changed mine in the summer. 8 off NKG BKR6E-11 spark plugs  £14.98

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
The plugs were supposed to have just been done on ours, not long before we got it, according to the wad of invoices. I have my doubts though, the rear ones especially don't look as though they have been disturbed for a while.

I found a set of NGK plugs for £11 delivered, they will probably be going in next service.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
http://www.scc-racing.com/racing-blog/warning-non-genuine-spark-plugs

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/how-to-spot-fake-denso-iridium-power-spark-plugs-2017/

https://thecounterfeitreport.com/product/400/Ngk-Spark-Plugs.html

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/catalog/asia/pdf/P043.pdf

There are loads of fake Chinese copies of pretty much all branded products,  spark plugs are no exception.  Many fakes use steel for centre electrode instead of copper (copper takes the heat away quickly and dissipates it into cylinder head,  steel will eventually melt or excess heat will cause insulator to fail and drop into cylinder).

I am always careful to buy spark plugs from fairly reputable places like Cox motors or Opie,  shame to save a few quid on plugs (when they are not expensive anyway) and cause problems,  and if an insulator or electrode fails and drops into engine, oooops ££££'s.

A phrase my mate uses sticks in my mind 'you don't always get what you pay for, but if its too cheap its invariably sh!t3'
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:14:15 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »
Buy from a reputable source. Not your Johnny Awthing shop.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
I think mine are okay, they were from Halfords.

Halfords were clearing out the blister packs of 4 NGK earlier in the year, knocking the prices down until they were all gone. Some of the more obscure types ended up at a couple of quid a pack.

owen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Blue 2002
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
We have a CVT which gets used for short trips around London and driven with some enthusiasm.  Typically we see 35 MGP on the meter.  I've found that this is more or less the minimum fuel economy, no matter how hard it is driven it won't ever be less than 35 MPG.  I used to do some motorway work and could get around 55.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Filled my tank again today and the calculated figure was 53.9 mpg. This isn’t very great, but I am unconcerned as I know I am only seeing random variation. For this I use SPC and Western Electric Rules.
I spent a good number of years working in industries where data gathering was a necessity and statistical analysis was priority. When I worked in the semiconductor industry I was first introduced to Western Electric Rules and how they are implemented to control that manufactured parts are in specification. When I worked in Lexmark, manufacturing ink cartridges, statistical process control was most important, and the control of the process was in the hands of the workers on the shop floor. Data is only of any use when it is fresh, and has to be acted on immediately. There is no point in manufacturing a nightshift’s product only for the engineer to come in the next morning, measure it, and find it is all out of spec. As an example, Lexmark would weigh sample bottles every half hour. The information is entered into an SPC chart, and from that a decision is made whether any changes need to be made to the process.
We worked to what are known as Western Electric Rules, a system implemented by Western Electric back in 1956. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Electric_rules It is these same rules I use to check on my fuel consumption figures, and decide if I am seeing a random spread or if I have an issue that needs looked at.
As an aside, the dashboard readout gave my mpg as 53.9. Remarkably close to the calculated figure.

Tags:

anything