Author Topic: ABS pump  (Read 3173 times)

Russell

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Mk1 2007 auto petrol
ABS pump
« on: January 18, 2024, 11:45:47 AM »
Hi All

I've had a MK1 1.4 SE Auto Jazz for nearly 3 years and the mileage is 81,097. It's a 57-plate and having bought a Hyundai i10 last week was looking to sell the Jazz as we don't need an additional car. In the last week however, the ABS light (amber) has come on the dashboard and my local Honda dealer quoted an astronomical amount to fit a new ABS pump.

So my questions are: Should I get it replaced before selling it? If so, where's the best place to do this that's not going to cost me what the car is worth? My local garage doesn't do this type of work.

Alternatively, would anyone take it as it is? It's got 4 x Michelin Cross Climate tyres, has had the aircon redone in the last 12 months along with new brake pads and Honda servicing.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: ABS pump
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 02:48:00 PM »
ABS light is an MOT failure.  Someone with the knowledge  of how to get it fixed cheaply might buy it, but I doubt they would pay much more than its scrap value.    You would need to make it absolutely clear in the advert that the car is faulty and needs repair. And get them to sign something saying they are buying on that basis.  Even then they might return with a few mates  and you may not like them when they are angry. :'(

You may find a way of getting it repaired at reasonable  cost.   But otherwise maybe think outside the box.  Any buyer  at scrap value may be looking to make one good car out of two  (maybe using a terminally  rusty or crash damaged donor)  or  selling it as parts, selling the tyres etc.  Could you do some or all of these things yourself  to cut your losses ? Or fit cheapo wheels and tyres from a scrap yard and sell the Cross climates  to finance the repair. ? 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 02:50:01 PM »
Small automatic cars always command a premium in the used market, so I would 100% be repairing the car before selling if it were mine.

The ABS pump will have a part number, so you can search by that. If it were my car, I would source a used and tested warranted part from a proper VAT registed car breaker and get it fitted.

Another option is to get your unit repaired by the like of BBA reman or a firm I've used before being ECU testing https://www.ecutesting.com/common-faults/honda/honda-jazz-abs-pump/

If the garage you use doesn't replace abs pumps, then, I would phone a few local garages or google/ask for recommendations.

HTH

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 08:30:32 PM »
Are you certain it needs an ABS pump?
The most common faults with ABS systems is with the wheel speed sensors.

I'd do a double check before spending ££ hundreds.

jaytee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 05:48:51 AM »
Try disconnecting battery for a short time, it may reset the fault,this sometimes is all thats needed.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 10:38:44 AM »
Most garages are incompetent at diagnosing faults and work by replacing things till the fault goes away.
Get a second opinion.
If it is an ABS pump failure, lots for sale on ebay - with warranty.

Yes it is worth repairing: the price you are quoted if for a nearly new car not a £2-£3k car.

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 02:32:04 PM »
I wrote this a few years back when I repaired my ABS PUMP.
Hi,
I am new to this forum but not new to the Jazz as I have owned it for 14 years.
I have just repaired a faulty abs pump. Before you spend out any money you can try this, turn the ignition on but don’t start the car. Place a long screw driver on the pump to hear if it’s working, if not disconnect the battery negative lead. Mark the pumps top edge  so you put it back the correct way.There are 2 4mm Allen bolts hholding the pump on, the bottom one you cannot see and is a bit fiddly to access. Pull the motor straight out be gentle do not twist the housing left to right as you may damage the two pins that power the motor, keep the gasket as it needs to go back on when reinstalling. I used a multi meter( I am an electrician) connect to both pins and set the mult meter to the ohms scale if the reading is about 0.7 ohms the windings are still good and the motor may just be stuck. Tap the base of the housing a few times to see if you can release it, spray with silicon spray  or actf50, just not wd40. I Applied applied 12vots to the pumps pins and it worked fine. On reinstallation my sure you the mark that you made is on the top. The pins look the same but it will only go back the correct way. Be gentle pushing the pump motor in as it’s a bit of a faff to locate those pins correctly. Replace the Allen bolts, reconnect the battery. Start car and hopefully your abs light goes off.
Regards

Tags:

anything