Author Topic: Problems programming the key fob  (Read 3156 times)

organism46b

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 petrol
Problems programming the key fob
« on: January 05, 2024, 10:56:38 AM »
Hello, my name is Joe. I am having issues with getting my key fob programmed after the batteries, died in both key fobs, i have. When you change the battery, is it meant to flash red, the small micro red light, on the key? I bought new CR1616 batteries, but i don't know if they are faulty as i see no red light, when i hit the buttons. This is before the programming process, which i can't seem to do YouTube videos show going from the lock position, to position two. Then hitting the lock or unlock button, within a second. I have tried this, several times and failed. Though luckily, i am not locked out of the car. Although if the new batteries CR1616 are dud, then it would work, anyway. On the videos, i see the little micro light flashing, but mine does not. The green key symbol comes on when i shut the engine off, or start it, not sure exactly, but it does go off. If anyone can give this newbie to the forum, a help, i would very much appreciate it. Joe W Lothian.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Problems programming the key fob
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 11:18:05 AM »
Some small button batteries (Duracell) now have stickers on one side that need removing

Might seem obvious but, been there, got the tshirt
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 12:04:39 PM »
Also double check  you havnt put them in upside down. And they are the correct size.  Some button battery sizes are the same voltage and diameter as others but vary by thickness.  If you use the thinner type they will appear to fit but may not make good contact with the terminals.    You have chosen a good brand but budget 'no names' might be   slightly thinner than they should be.

Also older car keys can get quite grubby over time from a build up of natural grease from your hands  mixed with dust.   Check that there isnt a build up of dirt  blocking the red light aperture.   It might be flashing away  but you cant see it.

I'd also suggest buying  a  digital multimeter(about £8)  as a long term investment.  You could save £££'s over the  years  checking whether button batteries, aa, aaa batteries etc  really do need replacing yet. Or whether its because battery contacts  are dirty ,corroded  or displaced slightly  in things such as  remote controls  ,torches  , car keys ( ;)) etc. Rather than buy a new one you might be able to clean up the contacts, or adjust them slightly .Sometimes these things will work again if you fit new batteries, but only because the disturbance means they made slightly better contact this time.  You will have thrown away perfectly good batteries.

You will find many other uses for it in the car and home. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 12:06:19 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

organism46b

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 08:31:32 PM »
Thanks for your help. I will take your advice. J

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 09:14:22 AM »
From memory, the Jazz keyfob retains programme settings and is not affected by a battery change in the keyfob or even by  a disconnection of the 12V main battery, if the keyfob was in working order for the car, replacement of the  coin cell in the keyfob  should not require a reprogramme, check and recheck the new coincell is healthy and correctly inserted for good electrical connection.

organism46b

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 07:02:53 AM »
Thanks, i appreciate you.

Tags: