Author Topic: Battery starter boxes  (Read 29818 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Battery starter boxes
« on: December 24, 2023, 01:35:25 PM »
The type that you clip to the battery terminals to start a dead battery?
Are they supposed to start the battery immediately, using the power from the box or, are you supposed to let the charge that is in the box drip into your car battery for a bit - eventually enabling the flat battery to start?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Battery starter boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 01:48:06 PM »
They are designed to start the car immediately from the power within the battery pack. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 02:14:15 PM by UKjim »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Battery starter boxes
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 02:12:06 PM »
The type that you clip to the battery terminals to start a dead battery?
Are they supposed to start the battery immediately, using the power from the box or, are you supposed to let the charge that is in the box drip into your car battery for a bit - eventually enabling the flat battery to start?

There are two types. There are ones that are just a battery, so these have to be charged up beforehand (can take several hours via USB). If they aren't charged (or have insufficient charge) then they won't work. If you have one of these, it's a good idea to charge it up every few months, because sod's law says it'll be flat when you need it. These  should enable your car to start straight away.

The other type use gizmos called supercapacitors which store charge but not for very long. These don't need to be charged beforehand, they charge themselves from whatever's left in your car battery as soon as you make the connection. One of these may need a few seconds to charge itself before you can start the car (they usually have some kind of display to tell you when they're ready).

Neither type charges the car battery, they work in parallel to provide the oomph to start the car, and you then need to keep the engine running in order to charge the battery using the car's generator.

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 03:30:14 PM »
Hmm, ok.ive had a few flat batteries recently and found that I've needed to try a good few times before the box works.  That's why I've assumed it was drip charging. 🫤

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 05:41:53 PM »
Did it again today. Flat battery, and about 20 mins of trying to start with the box. Eventually it did. Maybe time for a new battery? Getting tired of it going flat if I leave the lights on for literally 5 mins or so.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 05:44:11 PM »
Not worth the hassle for the cost of a battery, changing it is the right decision. Batteries are a consumable item just like tyres and brake pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 07:34:36 AM »
Change the battery, the (expensive to replace ) Alternator will be working overtime to charge the old battery as you are driving, batteries are cheap compared  to an Alternator.

Time to raise the question, which is the correct battery chemistry to match the Jazz Alternator?
The Alternator charging control circuits and battery chemistry should be compatible for optimum efficient use of the battery

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member

Tags: