Author Topic: Is this looks alright to you?  (Read 734 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Is this looks alright to you?
« on: August 04, 2021, 04:42:40 PM »
On my auto Jazz 06 plate, ive recently though to smell the engine oil and had a little sniff. It smelt a tiny bit of some sort of a spirit...
I then dropped a bit of oil on the road whilst the road was wet and the oil drip kind of spreaded so quickly on the wet road. Please see picture attached.

1- is it normal to smell bit of alcohol spirit kind of a smell in your engine oil (5w30 oil and think its not been changed for 1yr with a 84k mies on the clock). Since the last change according to the previous owner,   the car has done 3k miles

2- as you can see on the picture this rainbow colour spread of oil drips on the street, which spreaded out so quickly, is it a normal ?

Thank you!

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: Is this looks alright to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 06:54:52 AM »
Engine oil does more than lubricate, it captures by-products of combustion, which include water and the modest amounts of  petrol  blown past the piston ring into the engine oil sump. The oil is designed the capture those by-products and still  protect the engine. Used engine oil is rather "smelly" for chemicals.  The alcohol smell may be from the latest E petrol formulations.  Do you drive your car for long or short distances?  Short journeys of  a few  miles are the worst for an oil, the oil stays cool,   long journeys arew better for the oil as it reaches a high working temperature for long periods and the contaminants such as water and fuel are  boiled off as vapour and the oil self-cleanses.

The rainbow effect of oil on a surface is quite normal

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 12:09:41 PM »
Thank you for your lengthy explanation!
I drive smaller distances doing shopping and school run every other week so on. Occasionally motorways.
I often use Redex patrol system cleaners usually...

Engine oil does more than lubricate, it captures by-products of combustion, which include water and the modest amounts of  petrol  blown past the piston ring into the engine oil sump. The oil is designed the capture those by-products and still  protect the engine. Used engine oil is rather "smelly" for chemicals.  The alcohol smell may be from the latest E petrol formulations.  Do you drive your car for long or short distances?  Short journeys of  a few  miles are the worst for an oil, the oil stays cool,   long journeys arew better for the oil as it reaches a high working temperature for long periods and the contaminants such as water and fuel are  boiled off as vapour and the oil self-cleanses.

The rainbow effect of oil on a surface is quite normal

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 05:23:12 PM »
3k miles or not, one year on and short journeys I'd change the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 06:48:04 PM »
And use Honda oil filter, it should be fine once changed.

Tags: