Author Topic: Night Bombers WW2 Documentary.  (Read 2458 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Night Bombers WW2 Documentary.
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
I watched this the other night. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Bombers-David-Savile/dp/B07PPYF53H
I learnt a few things and found it a fascinating watch. Highly recommended if you get time.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Night Bombers WW2 Documentary.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:40 PM »
Highly recommended if you get time.

...and an Amazon Prime subscription, or 4 pounds and 49 new pennies ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:27:54 PM by sparky Paul »

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:14:09 PM »
...and an Amazon Prime subscription, or 4 pounds and 49 new pennies ;)

You can get a week for 99p. I usualy wait until I've got some items to buy and have found a few things to watch, and then max out my sub £1 subscription!  :D

The doc stands out, not the usual american voice over/dramatic music/familiar film reel mish mash these things often are. This is a completely different factual documentary. 

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
You can get a week for 99p. I usualy wait until I've got some items to buy and have found a few things to watch, and then max out my sub £1 subscription!  :D

If you haven't been a subscriber for a year or more, you can usually sign up for a free month. The 99p offer comes once you have cancelled, but if you hang on, the free month offer comes back - about once a year I think.

I try to time it for just before Xmas ;)

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
If you haven't been a subscriber for a year or more, you can usually sign up for a free month. The 99p offer comes once you have cancelled, but if you hang on, the free month offer comes back - about once a year I think.

I try to time it for just before Xmas ;)

:D :D LOL You've done it again! Like my recent oil & filter change, you did it for a quid less!  :P 

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 09:06:27 AM »
A quid's a quid, and after all, I was born in Yorkshire!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »
I shop from Amazon all the time (where else would I buy my Kalashnikovs), so I have Amazon Prime membership. Even without the video, it saves me a fortune.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:08 AM »
I shop from Amazon all the time (where else would I buy my Kalashnikovs), so I have Amazon Prime membership. Even without the video, it saves me a fortune.

:D :D I remember reading an interview with Mikhail Kalashnikov, said he wished he had designed a lawn mower rather than the Ak47, as he hates his name being associated with the weapon.

Amazon are really useful and great value for something. Needed a new ethernet cable, and it arrives next day. Well worth it, especialy at the moment when trying to avoid shops re covid.

However, Amazon would be a much better company if they had their drivers as PAYE and provided the vans rather than the quasi self employment and leased van arrangement that puts people in poverty as they currently do. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/04/self-employed-amazon-driver-company-delivered

Watched 'Colin McRae, Rally Legend' on prime last night. Fantastic video and good to max out my 99p!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »

I buy bits from Amazon, but put up with free snail-speed delivery most of the year, so it would only save time.

I buy less a lot than I used to though - I don't find prices are that competitive anymore, and you know I'm a tight git ;)

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 11:22:52 AM »
you know I'm a tight git ;)
Better at saving money..........oh ok...tight!  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:12:19 PM by Westy36 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 10:24:43 AM »
Just watched Night Bomber. What a superb documentary. Made by the RAF, it follows 24 hours in the life of one mission from RAF Hemswell. I actually ended up with a lump in my throat. And in this time of massive Covid deaths, it brings home the 79,000 RAF losses during missions in WW II. And the fact that the pilot who "starred" in the documentary safely completed the war then never flew again. Says a lot about flying bombers.
I found intriguing the aerial footage, shot on takeoff, without the use of fast cars, helicopters or drones.
Well worth the Prime membership, however fleeting you chose it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 11:14:10 AM »
Just watched Night Bomber. What a superb documentary. Made by the RAF, it follows 24 hours in the life of one mission from RAF Hemswell. I actually ended up with a lump in my throat. And in this time of massive Covid deaths, it brings home the 79,000 RAF losses during missions in WW II. And the fact that the pilot who "starred" in the documentary safely completed the war then never flew again. Says a lot about flying bombers.
I found intriguing the aerial footage, shot on takeoff, without the use of fast cars, helicopters or drones.
Well worth the Prime membership, however fleeting you chose it.

During the early years of the war heavy bombers were sitting ducks, and the bravery of the crews was immense, IIRC bomber command alone lost 55,000 aircrew - and a memorial to them was only erected in London a few years ago.  It all changed when long range fighters like Merlin engined Mustang and the P-47 Thunderbolt became available ( during early years of war the focus had quite rightly been on lighter, short range fast climbing defence fighters ) the presence of such deadly fighters with the bombers really should have signaled to Germans that the war was over.  In fact When Goring saw allied fighters over Berlin he told Hitler it was all over.  The Germans were quoted as saying - If you see a silver fighter it is American, if you see a brown and green one it is British, if you don't see a fighter then it is German.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 11:48:54 AM »
Just watched Night Bomber. What a superb documentary. Made by the RAF, it follows 24 hours in the life of one mission from RAF Hemswell.

I'll have to watch that. I know Hemswell pretty well - it's not far from me at all.

Hemswell was used as a substitute for RAF Scampton (also not far from me) during the filming of the Dambusters film.

Are these clips from it? haven't found the full film yet.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:41:10 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 04:33:18 PM »
Yes, those are from the documentary.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 07:47:05 PM »
The reference to Hemswell and Scampton brings back memories.
I was stationed at RAF Scampton in 1959/60, as a J/T Air Wireless Fitter, working on the Avro Vulcans.
Probably one of the most interesting years of my life, certainly not time wasted, as some Ex National Service personnel would have you believe.

Tags: