Author Topic: Tilt alarm sensors  (Read 1453 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Tilt alarm sensors
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:34:37 PM »
Has anyone done tilt alarm sensors to your jazz preventing Cat thefts?

Is it a easy diy job for someone who has a basic knowledge and are there any cheaper tilt sensor alarm brands to known as good products please? Tia!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Tilt alarm sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
I saw somebody in a white van slow down and eyeball the Jazz yesterday, so I feel your angst. I must admit, I've given some thought to devising some sort of alarm, rather than a guard. It seems to me that it's only a matter of time before they start coming equipped to remove the common guards. The good thing about a guard is that it should slow them down, and hopefully they'll make more noise.

A tilt sensor isn't straightforward because it has to be able to cope with parking on a slope, and if it's made to accommodate that, it may be defeated by the slow tilting action of jacking. I was working on the lines of an attached cable which would trigger an alarm if pulled or cut. One of many projects, unfortunately.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:28:01 PM »
We are getting a little paranoid about parking the Jazz anywhere, I know it's only a cheap car but that makes it almost more of a problem as the repairs can easily outweigh the cars value.

Not too bad at home as we are at the end of a short cul-de-sac with no passing traffic and well covered with CCTV and security lights.

I was thinking of a shield, hoping that the seeing it and with the extra time needed to remove the Cat would put them off. I think time is of the essence in carrying out the theft.

Is it therefore almost as effective from a deterrent point of view to install a £35 version as a £200 one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 09:50:38 PM »
Is it therefore almost as effective from a deterrent point of view to install a £35 version as a £200 one?

More than likely. Even a warning sticker on the window would be a start.

I think a cover plate would be effective, so long as the front pipe is protected. If they can see enough of that to get the pipe cutter around it, i think you've had it - plate or no plate. They'll just pull the cat out rearwards.

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »
Do you happen to know of any cheaper alarms by any chance please which could trigger if someone is jacking up the car?

More than likely. Even a warning sticker on the window would be a start.

I think a cover plate would be effective, so long as the front pipe is protected. If they can see enough of that to get the pipe cutter around it, i think you've had it - plate or no plate. They'll just pull the cat out rearwards.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 10:31:17 PM »
I believe they use stainless steel pipe cutters.

A couple of steel stubs held on with SS Jubilee clips might make them think twice.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 10:52:42 PM »
I believe they use stainless steel pipe cutters.

Something similar, they usually use an exhaust pipe cutter - made for the job. Similar idea, but lots of cutting wheels on a chain so you don't need a full swing, or a ratchet cutter. Both only take a minute or so.

That's why I like the rebar idea, welded (or securely fastened) to the front pipe. No pipe cutter will tackle rebar.

Tags:

anything