Author Topic: Replacement headlights without adjustment motor?  (Read 1772 times)

ValterV

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi Live
Replacement headlights without adjustment motor?
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:09:07 AM »
Hi all! Sorry for my poor English, I'm Italian :)

My 2005 1.2 Jazz has fogged headlights, as usual.
Besides, the electric adjustment doesn't work, and the left side headlight points way too up. My mechanic wasn't able to manually adjust it (probably someone broke the adjustment screw before. I bought it used two years ago).

So I'm considering replacing the headlights with non-OEM parts, but on auto parts websites I keep seeing parts "Without adjustment motor".
Hence I wonder: does anybody knows if replacement headlights without motor can work ok? Can you just adjust them manually?
(I don't care about the electric adjustment anyway)

Thanks in advance, Valter

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
Re: Replacement headlights without adjustment motor?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 12:54:25 AM »
Hi,

Make sure you get the correct ones for your country, based on what side of the road you drive on and they will be fine.

Anything that does not have electronic adjustment will be adjusted manually, I installed lights from Aliexpress on our first Jazz (2003 GD1) for the same reason without any issues.

Cheers and good luck.
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

ValterV

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »
Anything that does not have electronic adjustment will be adjusted manually
Thanks a lot! :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
Hi all! Sorry for my poor English, I'm Italian :)

No need to apologise, I would not have guessed English wasn't your first language! Although this an English forum, there are quite a few European members.

It is possible to polish the headlights to remove the fogging with fine wet/dry sanding paper and soapy water, then a final polish with bodywork compound. There are posts on here discussing it, and guides on youtube that show you how.

The usual problem with the headlamp adjuster is that the teeth on the gear break off. The only  fix is a replacement headlight, or to replace the complete adjuster motor with a good one from a scrap headlight unit.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
Further comment on fogged head lamps , the method I have used to good effect over the years is the same employed on aircraft screens - it really does work with minimal effort . Link here for E bay Greygate Plastic Polish>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREYGATE-ACRYLIC-PLASTIC-POLISH-/122080514243

ValterV

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 06:36:21 AM »
Link here for E bay Greygate Plastic Polish>

Good to know, thanks.
Although it doesn't ship to Italy. Maybe I'll look for it here.

I already did the polishing method using whitening toothpaste: it improved a bit, but far from optimal.
I even had the polishing done by a professional body-shop, not much better.

I wonder if that's about the product used (and the one you linked would be better)... or perhaps my headlights are beyond hope  :(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 07:54:29 AM »
Link here for E bay Greygate Plastic Polish>

Good to know, thanks.
Although it doesn't ship to Italy. Maybe I'll look for it here.

I already did the polishing method using whitening toothpaste: it improved a bit, but far from optimal.

I wonder if that's about the product used (and the one you linked would be better)... or perhaps my headlights are beyond hope  :(

I have found that using Autoglym super resin polish on headlights about once a month ( follow with AutoGlym shine sealer if you like ) keeps the plastic in good shape.  I also fitted classiccarleds LED H4 bulbs about 2-1/2 to 3 years ago and the lack of heat from front of bulb gives the plastic an easier time, does not bake on all the insects and stuff...

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.msg75396#msg75396
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »

If they are bad, you have to work the surface back before polishing.

Start with 1500 grit paper, and lots of soapy water. It will make the headlights look terrible, but you are looking for a uniform surface with no shadows or swirls. Keep washing the paper in the soapy water. Then move onto 2000 grit paper, then 3000 grit or finer, then finally polish the surface with body compound. A final coating of the polish that culzean suggests will help protect them.

It takes time, but you can bring them back to looking like new. Practise on an old headlamp if you're not sure.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
The headlight cover is made with a harder UV resistant coating on the plastic,  as the plastic ages the action of the sun and the various traffic fumes degrade the coating and yellow it, when you use mechanical means to clean the surface layer off you are also removing what is left of the UV coating so that in future the softer plastic will yellow again much faster.  If you can keep the traffic film off the plastic it is a good start, as the film of aggressive chemicals and sunshine are what does the damage ( which is why cleaning chemically with Autoglym super resin polish and then finishing with Autoglym super shine sealer on a regular, monthly basis helps a lot). Also the sealer acts like a sun-cream and protects the plastic from UV.

Also you are removing the traffic film chemicals regularly and putting a barrier between any more that get coated on and the plastic underneath.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:51:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »
I used Fenwicks 1349C Windowize Scratch Remover. Worked great. Just put on with a cotton cloth.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »
I used Fenwicks 1349C Windowize Scratch Remover. Worked great. Just put on with a cotton cloth.

I used that many years ago on our GD headlights when they were slightly hazy ( was not using AutoGlym then ) and it worked great once I realised that using Fenwicks with a microfibre cloth was doing nothing and read the instructions on the bottle again and it said 'apply with cotton cloth' - dohhhhhh ---- then it worked fine with very little effort really.   Have been doing the 'preventative' stuff with autoglym for years now and it really seems to be worth doing 'a little and often' rather than leaving it - 'an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure'.....

Tags:

anything