Author Topic: Tyre and Alloy insurance?  (Read 1415 times)

guest7966

Tyre and Alloy insurance?
« on: September 22, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »
I'm buying a 3 year old SE, dealer wants to sell me " Tyre and Alloy insurance". Is it something I need? Should I turn it down and get it elsewhere?
I've signed a contract so it may be too late. Picking up the car Tuesday Sept.25.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Tyre and Alloy insurance?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »
It's the first time I have heard of that dealer money maker. In 50 odd years of driving I have wrecked one tyre and scraped the odd wheel.
The damaged wheel was totally ignored at trade in time. Any insurance is a gamble weighted towards the insurance company.  Whatever you do make sure you read the small print, it can render the policy worthless. I am sure I could manage quite well without it.

When I bought a new gas boiler I stopped the maintenance contract, I could buy a new boiler every four years with the money I saved.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:24:32 PM by Skyrider »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
Unless you are really unlucky, the only damage you are likely to do is kerbing your alloys.  Walk down the street and look at alloys, there are not many that aren't scraped to a slight extent.  I bet the fine print says that this in not covered.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:59:56 PM by ColinS »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
I had a set of Volvo alloys restored for £55/wheel!
I had a mate, bought brand new cars cash in hand, insured them third party (back in the day when third party was a fraction of the price of fully comprehensive), and in twenty years only once had to fork out for a minor bodywork repair.
Don't think I'd have the b*lls to do that, but he reckoned he was quids in!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
Depends how much money they want and if it is a one off or a payment on direct debit every month or year (they try to get DD as some people 'forget' them and keep on paying long after).

Personally I rarely buy insurance except house buildings and contents, and car insurance. Just work out the cost of the insurance, what it actually covers (as others said it probably won't cover kerbing or corrosion which are the two main things that happen to alloys ) and work out for yourself if you need it .....    If an alloy gets wrecked by a pothole most people try to get local council to pay for the damage.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
Quite common to be offered on lease cars as you get billed for damage on returning them, a workmate had an alloy and tyre replaced on a citroen ds3 using this insurance which recouped his money. Impossible to say if you'll need it, I didn't bother on my last lease car.

Tags: